Oct 18 Apple Event

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
I am anxiously waiting for them to get to M5

358551.jpg

I mean, it has such cool blinken lights and other visual effects. After all, it is The Ultimate Computer.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Automatic love for any TOS reference, and a particularly great episode.

I guess in that context, Intel is Captain Dunsel :D

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The new MBP keyboards are black between the keys, whereas prior models had the color of the case between the keys. This looks like it would be easier to take the keyboard out for repairs now. I recall the Pismo PowerBooks, you could lift the keyboard and access the internals directly. It was very convenient. This design reminds me of that.

(photo from Apple Insider)
1634995217655.jpeg

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The new MBP keyboards are black between the keys, whereas prior models had the color of the case between the keys. This looks like it would be easier to take the keyboard out for repairs now. I recall the Pismo PowerBooks, you could lift the keyboard and access the internals directly. It was very convenient. This design reminds me of that.

(photo from Apple Insider)
View attachment 9334
I think I read that it’s the same mechanically - they just anodized the metal to be black.

Agent47

Power User
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the notch? Imo its the only downside.
Its not that I oppose the notch in general; its just its a bit too wide, in a way that the taskbar looks unnecessarily inflated.
Its not a show stopper in any way, still it bugs me coz otherwise its a pretty much flawless computer. Very much reminiscent of the Aluminium Powerbooks, just even better (faster, quieter, longer battery life).

Ah, and the the design language of Snow Leopard is of course second to none...

D

Deleted member 215

I don't like the notch at all. The more images I see of it, the more I dislike it and see it as a big distraction. I don't like the taller, interrupted menu bar either. The M1 iMac looks so much cleaner by comparison.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I don't like the notch at all. The more images I see of it, the more I dislike it and see it as a big distraction. I don't like the taller, interrupted menu bar either. The M1 iMac looks so much cleaner by comparison.
I recently setup 2 M1 iMacs. The screens look fantastic, and the machines are really fast. Also, with Parallels, I was able to install Windows 11, and then install an old version of WordPerfect (x86) which runs nicely for the person who didn’t want to leave WordPerfect behind....

U

User.45

Any thoughts on the notch? Imo its the only downside.
Its not that I oppose the notch in general; its just its a bit too wide, in a way that the taskbar looks unnecessarily inflated.
Its not a show stopper in any way, still it bugs me coz otherwise its a pretty much flawless computer. Very much reminiscent of the Aluminium Powerbooks, just even better (faster, quieter, longer battery life).

Ah, and the the design language of Snow Leopard is of course second to none...
I'm not a fan of the idea but it's not as terrible as you make it out to be. So you either have a notch or a black bar. If you look at full screen mode, that's gonna be a black bar. Someone said that since the ratio is 16:10 it's not gonna have any impact on 16:9 material.

I'm also sure you'd have an option to turn the notch to above-said black bar. I'm more curious about the mouse behavior at the notch. Is it gonna jump or is it gonna have a hidden space there?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the idea but it's not as terrible as you make it out to be. So you either have a notch or a black bar. If you look at full screen mode, that's gonna be a black bar. Someone said that since the ratio is 16:10 it's not gonna have any impact on 16:9 material.

I'm also sure you'd have an option to turn the notch to above-said black bar. I'm more curious about the mouse behavior at the notch. Is it gonna jump or is it gonna have a hidden space there?

Hidden space. The notch is active area, so the mouse pointer disappears there.

U

User.45

The more I'm looking at the M1Max specs the more I wonder, what do you folks need it for beyond video/photo editing. It seems that these have disproportionately more GPU power than CPU.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The more I'm looking at the M1Max specs the more I wonder, what do you folks need it for beyond video/photo editing. It seems that these have disproportionately more GPU power than CPU.

I would say it’s the opposite. The CPU is faster than any desktop mac other than a pro with 16 or more cores, including 12-core Mac Pros.

The GPU is nice, but not “high end desktop GPU”-nice.

I’ll be using it for Xcode, photo editing, Illustrator, electronics simulations, Office, video transcoding, etc.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
…but is there anything out there that it can be used for? 😆

Only half-joking.

Well it will certainly be useful in photo- or video- editing apps. Anything that uses metal for compute or rendering. It’s not always about gaming.

Agent47

Power User
Reaction score
The GPU is nice, but not “high end desktop GPU”-nice.

I’ll be using it for Xcode, photo editing, Illustrator, electronics simulations, Office, video transcoding, etc.
Me too.
I‘ll port my CUDA-based genetic algorithm over to Metal. The thing is heavily memory-bandwidth and memory limited. Curious on how it is going to perform on ASi/Metal

Entropy

Reaction score
To some extent, people need to buy headroom, since the machines aren't upgradeable.
It then comes down to their predictions of the future, and how they approach hardware purchases. The professionals I know lean more towards "working with what they know", rather than "buying new toys", generalising broadly. Thus they would tend to go for something that will do the job, and then some, for the foreseeable future.

D

Deleted member 215

Well yeah the main difference between the M1 and these new Pro/Max chips is the GPU and video encoders but there’s also four more performance cores. Single core performance is the same.

It’s definitely overkill for me, but I just got tired of a Zoom call or a long YouTube video overheating my Intel MBP.

Entropy

Reaction score
Me too.
I‘ll port my CUDA-based genetic algorithm over to Metal. The thing is heavily memory-bandwidth and memory limited. Curious on how it is going to perform on ASi/Metal
As I wrote in another place, in my field quite a few "GPU-accelerated" applications were more accurately described as "memory bandwidth accelerated". Not surprised that bio-informatics could have a few of those as well. The memory subsystem of the M1PM seems remarkably robust.

Agent47

Power User
Reaction score
I’d love to see a thread about that!
Hm. Maybe when the time is ripe. Development (using Qt and CUDA on Linux) took about 2 to 3 years; so basically I‘ll have to do a re-write. Plus I am very much time restrained.

What‘s more, I believe what I got there is very advanced. Its based off the SASEGASA, implemented 100 % in CUDA, albeit sprinkled with some novel ideas (and a couple still waiting for assessment).
Anyway, I am crazy excited about what this thing can do (and its inner workings)…

Don‘t want to reveal too much for now… thanks for your interest

Top Bottom
1 2