Oct 18 Apple Event

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
What will I ever do‽

This post I came across in the comments section is dead on.

"The polishing cloths are made from a special attenuated Nappa nanofiber. Apple R&D has perfected the polarization of each nano filament into a plane of alternating wave forms, what we're calling Schrodinger Adhesors. And the results are incredible: with a single wipe you can't tell if 57% of the visible surface matter is there or not. With two wipes this goes up to an incredible 84%. There has never been a more effective way to uncertainly eliminate the appearance of visible surface matter before."

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Can’t imagine the SD slot making a comeback. Wouldn’t mind being wrong about that, though.

2-24510_trollface-deal-with-it-troll-face-png.png

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
If my work didn't require the use of Windows, I'd be a lot more thrilled about these offerings. I know several people (even a Windows die hard) who will be getting these though. I had an M1 MBP for awhile but because I need to use Windows with parallels, just ended up with a 2020 MBP 13' with an eGPU. Hopefully by the time this kicks the bucket, I'll be able to use Windows 11 with our specific work software easier.

I love the redesigned look and of course, MagSafe has to return. It's going to be a long wait for me. lol.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
If my work didn't require the use of Windows, I'd be a lot more thrilled about these offerings. I know several people (even a Windows die hard) who will be getting these though. I had an M1 MBP for awhile but because I need to use Windows with parallels, just ended up with a 2020 MBP 13' with an eGPU. Hopefully by the time this kicks the bucket, I'll be able to use Windows 11 with our specific work software easier.

I love the redesigned look and of course, MagSafe has to return. It's going to be a long wait for me. lol.

My work also requires the use of Windows. But I don’t use Windows :) Of course, that makes me my own I.T. department, but it’s worth it :)

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
My work also requires the use of Windows. But I don’t use Windows :) Of course, that makes me my own I.T. department, but it’s worth it :)
I got Visual Studio 2019 to work on Arm Windows but our 64bit Windows application runs like a snail on Arm Windows - and I can't get it to run outside of VS 2019. I'll have to give it another try here soon. But my wallet/bank won't let me purchase a new MBP just yet. lol.

Very worth it I'm sure. :D

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
Where do you keep that, in a 2-car garage, sideways?
Used to have a 2019 15' MBP but work wanted that back so I begged for a MBP and got a 13' 2020 MBP refurbished. (32GB/2TB) Can't complain ! :D I run parallels with Windows 11 for things I need to do in Windows and it works really well with my Sonnet eGPU (RX 580).

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe @Cmaier would know this, but what is the technical limitation on the RAM with the M1s? I mean we have PC motherboards that support 128GB+. Is this some kind of limitation with SoCs?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe @Cmaier would know this, but what is the technical limitation on the RAM with the M1s? I mean we have PC motherboards that support 128GB+. Is this some kind of limitation with SoCs?

Primarily the limit is the available density of DRAM - it would be difficult to fit more in a reasonable package. (And, at least in the MBPs, apple is packaging the RAM in the same package as the SoC, which is not a technical requirement but which does improve performance somewhat [given a given cache size] due to decreased latency).

Now, the next part is a guess. I *assume* that Apple has decided that these two chips will never be used with more RAM, or in situations where there is slotted RAM, and as a result Apple has only provided an address bus wide enough to work with 64GB. That would also mean that things like the translation lookaside buffer (for virtual memory) and a few other structures also are designed to not handle more than 64GB.

That said, it would likely not be very difficult for Apple to create an “Ultra“ version of the SoC that can handle more memory. After all, doubling the size of the RAM to 128GB would require only one more address bit. But unless they plan on using the Pro or Max in iMacs with more than 64GB, unlikely that they included that in those chips.

I would imagine we will see two more chips for the Mac Pro (and maybe iMac Pro):

iMac Ultra - 20 CPU cores, 64 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM
iMac Ultra Duo - 40 CPU cores, 128 GPU cores, 128 GB RAM

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
"The polishing cloths are made from a special attenuated Nappa nanofiber. Apple R&D has perfected the polarization of each nano filament into a plane of alternating wave forms, what we're calling Schrodinger Adhesors. And the results are incredible: with a single wipe you can't tell if 57% of the visible surface matter is there or not. With two wipes this goes up to an incredible 84%. There has never been a more effective way to uncertainly eliminate the appearance of visible surface matter before."
Now I want one for my Nintendo Switch.

:sneaky:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Great explanation. Thanks @Cmaier

OMG yes please 🤤
now that i think about, one other minor wrinkle is cache. If you know you are going to have 128GB RAM, you may want to increase the size of the system level cache, and maybe the L2 caches, as well, but whether or not that is needed requires a bunch of analysis of the specific compute scenarios that the designer is interested in. In general, though, if you have 128GB of RAM, the idea is that the user wants to actually use all that RAM at once - the user is doing something RAM-intensive - so the likelihood of cache misses may go up if you don't increase the size of the caches.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
You know, I was kind of half expecting the M1 MBP 13" to get rebranded as just a Macbook, i.e., a 13" Macbook Air, a 13" Macbook, and 14/16" Macbook Pros.

It's definitely in sort of a weird place in performance, features and price. I'm sure the MBA has been way more popular, and now anyone looking for a "pro level" machine will go with the entry level 14". Plus the 13" has the - now legacy - Touch Bar, I'm sure they'd like to forget about. The little G has a 16GB M1 MBP and just loves it, she even says she kind of digs on the Touch Bar, but to be honest, she would've probably been just as happy with an Air spec'ed the same way - she says her fans never kick on anyway ...

I couldn't remember the pricing, so look at Apple.com and a 13" MBP with a 16/512 config is only $300 cheaper than the entry level 14" - or it's $300 more in the most minimal config vs. an Air (the latter being the 7+8 core config).

Last edited:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
You know, I was kind of half expecting the M1 MBP 13" to get rebranded as just a Macbook, i.e., a 13" Macbook Air, a 13" Macbook, and 14/16" Macbook Pros.

It's definitely in sort of a weird place in performance, features and price. I'm sure the MBA has been way more popular, and now anyone looking for a "pro level" machine will go with the entry level 14". Plus the 13" has the - now legacy - Touch Bar, I'm sure they'd like to forget about. The little G has a 16GB M1 MBP and just loves it, she even says she kind of digs on the Touch Bar, but to be honest, she would've probably been just as happy with an Air spec'ed the same way - she says her fans never kick on anyway ...

I couldn't remember the pricing, so look at Apple.com and a 13" MBP with a 16/512 config is only $300 cheaper than the entry level 14" - or it's $300 more in the most minimal config vs. an Air (the latter being the 7+8 core config).

I’m sure they will phase out the M1 13” MBP in a year or so. They will replace it with an M2 14” when the higher-end MBP’s get M2 Pro/Max. (Or maybe the MBP next time has M1 Pro on the low end, and M2 Pro/Max on the high end, and they use M2 only in the MBA).

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Sure, it's a bit of a transition period, but it's definitely the odd-man-out at the moment. The only reason I went with it over the MBA was availability, discount (it was another $150 making it the same price as the equivalent MBA), and to be totally honest, I kind of wanted to knock around with the Touch Bar :D

Well, I think the little G also thought it was cool she had the "pro" model vs. Mom's regular ol' (M1) Macbook Air :cool:

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I’m sure they will phase out the M1 13” MBP in a year or so. They will replace it with an M2 14” when the higher-end MBP’s get M2 Pro/Max. (Or maybe the MBP next time has M1 Pro on the low end, and M2 Pro/Max on the high end, and they use M2 only in the MBA).

I imagine we won't see the 13" MBP for much longer. With the 14" Pro now in play, being roughly the same size and shape as the 13", and the Air being 99.9% as capable, it doesn't really make sense to keep it around.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I imagine we won't see the 13" MBP for much longer. With the 14" Pro now in play, being roughly the same size and shape as the 13", and the Air being 99.9% as capable, it doesn't really make sense to keep it around.

Exactly, that was my ruminations above, it's in a "Why are you here ...?" position right now. MBA is lighter, quieter, cheaper / the MBP 14" is a good bit quicker, again, that's __now__, I get the reason it existed during the initial M1 rollout.

Plus, like I said, it has the taint of the Touch Bar :ROFLMAO:

Jorbanead

Reaction score
iMac Ultra - 20 CPU cores, 64 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM
iMac Ultra Duo - 40 CPU cores, 128 GPU cores, 128 GB RAM
I don’t mind those names actually. I mean I still prefer M1X style naming, but since we’re using Pro/Max already, ultra seems a good fit. And Ultra Duo is easy to understand.

Top Bottom
1 2