The Boys Hanging Out.jpeg

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Across the lake from where I am there is a partly-submerged log in the water which has now parked itself near the shoreline and the walking path on that side of the lake. The geese, ducks, turtles and even Alfred have hung out there from time to time. When I was out walking around a couple of days ago one of the geese clambered up onto the log, and didn't seemed concerned about my close proximity. I started firing away in silent mode and he or she wasn't bothered in the least.

Basking in the Sunshine.jpeg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Just going to leave a void here because I got up at 3:00 AM to drive 2.5 hours to catch the sunrise from Grizzly Peak (a hilltop in the bay area) to get a view of the city with the fog rolling through it. I've attempted this shot maybe 6 or 7 times and not a single time have I been able to get a decent keeper. I just don't have the gear to get what I want from that distance so I'm admitting defeat.

I'm rarely this disappointed but it sucks when I plan it all out for the best odds and nothing turns out. :(

Here's an example from a wonderful photographer

1*GwWg7siFp1jLeOs3tZFVSg.jpeg

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Just going to leave a void here because I got up at 3:00 AM to drive 2.5 hours to catch the sunrise from Grizzly Peak (a hilltop in the bay area) to get a view of the city with the fog rolling through it. I've attempted this shot maybe 6 or 7 times and not a single time have I been able to get a decent keeper. I just don't have the gear to get what I want from that distance so I'm admitting defeat.

I'm rarely this disappointed but it sucks when I plan it all out for the best odds and nothing turns out. :(

Eric, so sorry you had such a disappointing experience! That's so upsetting when you know what you want to shoot and achieve and then just can't get the shot you envision......

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

That’s a real bummer. But…what I’m hearing, is your standards are really high and you’re picky. And that’s good; especially in photography. You’ve got a vision and you’ll get there. And when you do you’ll be super jazzed and appreciate the effort it took to make an amazing once-a-year (or maybe even in a lifetime) photo. Don’t give up! :)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
That’s a real bummer. But…what I’m hearing, is your standards are really high and you’re picky. And that’s good; especially in photography. You’ve got a vision and you’ll get there. And when you do you’ll be super jazzed and appreciate the effort it took to make an amazing once-a-year (or maybe even in a lifetime) photo. Don’t give up! :)
I'm just conceding this shot, I typically take this sort of thing in stride and in most cases have to revisit several times and shoot again before I get exactly what I want and it's always a good learning experience. This is just one with too many variables based on conditions, time of day, etc. (especially high winds with longer exposures). Without a really HQ long prime lens I don't think I'll get it.

No biggie though, I don't mean to be whiny about it I just got frustrated today is all lol.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
That's Ahmad and this is what he does during his lunch break running down Market Street in San Francisco. I've watched him jump over trash cans, newspaper racks, and barriers. I wouldn't be shocked if he could jump over a Mini Cooper.

37010164_10214218341827225_8122813399131226112_n.jpg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
That's Ahmad and this is what he does during his lunch break running down Market Street in San Francisco. I've watched him jump over trash cans, newspaper racks, and barriers. I wouldn't be shocked if he could jump over a Mini Cooper.

View attachment 9774
Wow, great action shot here and not easy to capture, well done on the depth of focus and stopping the motion.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Wow, great action shot here and not easy to capture, well done on the depth of focus and stopping the motion.

Thanks. From watching him for a bit I knew he'd be jumping over that trash can, so I just locked focus on the can and waited for him to fly over it. :)

When you're late for the train and seconds count:

Ahmad - Color.jpg

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
I'm just conceding this shot, I typically take this sort of thing in stride and in most cases have to revisit several times and shoot again before I get exactly what I want and it's always a good learning experience. This is just one with too many variables based on conditions, time of day, etc. (especially high winds with longer exposures). Without a really HQ long prime lens I don't think I'll get it.

No biggie though, I don't mean to be whiny about it I just got frustrated today is all lol.

It happens to all of us! I was trying to shoot something one day in the middle of the Octoberfest project on Nikon Cafe and got so, so frustrated because I knew what I wanted but nothing was working out right.....and like you, I finally just threw in the towel. Instead, I shot something completely different -- we had to submit a fresh photo every day of the month of October -- and grumbled about my problem with the other image on there. Several people had experienced similar difficulties and commiserated.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Here I got kind of artsy with the editing because the original shot wasn't that great -- I'd missed focus because the encounter was a bit too unexpected, but when looking at the images later I studied the light pattern for a bit and realized that I could get something interesting out of this after all.....

Fanning Out the Wing.jpeg

Top Bottom
1 2