IMG_2705.jpeg

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
when the second brand-freakin-new engine breaks and you have to sit for hours in the middle of ride-over country for the freight hauler to bring a loaner

I feel your pain sitting on Amtrak and going nowhere.

Ten years ago my wife and I started an Amtrak Coastal Starlight ride from San Jose to Santa Barbara (California); close to 300 miles. Thirty miles after departure the train just stopped in the middle of nowhere along the coast. Almost an hour later the train was moving backwards...wtf? Back to San Jose. Turns out the engineer blew through a red train signal light. Apparently that's a huge violation that required the whole train crew be replaced. Waited at the station for around 5 hours for a new crew to be mustered up and flown in to replace the previous crew. Ended up getting into Santa Barbara close to 2am (instead of 8pm of the previous day). Fortunately we were able to wake up the motel clerk when we arrived and the room was still available.

That said, I still love traveling by train. You see so much that you'd never see driving. And it's a great opportunity to make photos through the window.

Tanks from the train.jpg

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
This is a photo I made of a painting of Richard Diebenkorn, an abstract expressionist painter, who was part of the 1960s San Francisco Bay Area figurative movement.

RD.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
1 2