Powerball Frenzy

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
If I win, I'm doing something nice for @lizkat ❤️
I think whomever wins, their life will be an absolute nightmare. The press is going to be all over this, and no matter how hard you try to hide your identity there is a good chance it will get out. God help them if there is just one person who won, this actually might be the jackpot not worth winning.

The amount of people who will come after you, lawsuits, charities, very distant relatives, con artist, and worse people who want to do you harm, will be a major headache.

With all that being said, I did buy a few tickets... 😂

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think whomever wins, their life will be an absolute nightmare. The press is going to be all over this, and no matter how hard you try to hide your identity there is a good chance it will get out. God help them if there is just one person who won, this actually might be the jackpot not worth winning.

The amount of people who will come after you, lawsuits, charities, very distant relatives, con artist, and worse people who want to do you harm, will be a major headache.

With all that being said, I did buy a few tickets... 😂
OMG, hope I don’t win.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hahaha, yeah, I haven't gone shopping yet :ROFLMAO:

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
The real shock for someone in pretty ordinary circumstances would just be how much money is left over (after all the taxes) on this particular Powerball win, even if the cash option is taken.

Think about it. Only about 40% of Americans could swing a $1k emergency expense out of their savings accounts as of 2021. 60% lived paycheck to paycheck in April 2022. But those same people are often among those who persistently buy lottery tickets.

Now plunk even half a billion bucks net winnings onto the table.

I mean once it's over a few million bucks net, it's incomprehensible, even to people paying on a house with a six-figure mortgage. Half a billion dollars on the barrelhead after taxes? Mind boggling. Of course that's before all the relatives and charities and scammers offer to help you sort out your spend.​

While pondering these majestic sums, I'm starting to think that ol' Elon should sell blue checks for something more nominal, like a penny a pop, no? How could he even begin to spend the interest on his billions, unless all his assets have been given the beat-down he has laid on Twitter so far and just not marked to market yet.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'm 55 so I would take the lump sum and disappear out of the country by the time my winning was announced. I'm not sure if creating and claiming via LLC would keep my name out of the papers. Not even considering payments for more than a quarter of a century. I'm sure sound, safe investments would outpace the total via payments over 29 years.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I'm 55 so I would take the lump sum and disappear out of the country by the time my winning was announced. I'm not sure if creating and claiming via LLC would keep my name out of the papers. Not even considering payments for more than a quarter of a century. I'm sure sound, safe investments would outpace the total via payments over 29 years.

Fricken planet might not even last that long... i would take the cash payout too, and buy the whole village solar panel whole house utilities, and throw a big party with what's left over. Food, paper lanterns, music, party down like there's literally no tomorrow and figure it might be true.

[ sorry, i'm in a grumpy mood on this election eve... and the WaPo's breaking news alert on the administration's pre-COP27 summit environmental report is no help. It said something about how the USA has managed to warm itself 68 times faster than the planet as a whole. Part of it's latitude, not just our inclination to dig up dead dinos and burn them in our cars. I'm off to watch a movie. ANY movie! ]

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Fricken planet might not even last that long...

You know, we'd be tempted to just pull the daughter out of school, disappear, worry about that later given the clock is ticking. Hell with $700M you could get education/learning resources as needed, and what's better than becoming a student of life and a world citizen.

Maybe get a Biscayne Vantaré and start with a several month tour of the US :D

Not a bad interior for an RV ...

1667868425231.png

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
The lump sum payout after taxes here in NYC+NYS would be just about $500M if it's the only jackpot winning ticket. Yeah, I would definitely disappear outside of the U.S. Only very close relatives would get something and I would start a foundation with 20% of the winnings.

If I won $1-5M I would take a super long vacation in summer and start a scholarship fund with 10%.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Why are the results pending? Extra cautious since it is so much?

Edit: Ah! They are delaying the drawing to sometime this morning. Guess they do want to make sure its right.

Last edited:

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I hope it's some technical glitch and not malfeasance. :unsure:

FINALLY!! - 10-33-41-47-56 & Powerball 10

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
They were having an issue with the broadcast, maybe it has to be publicly broadcast in real-time to be considered legit[?]

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
There was one winner!!!

CA
Estimated Grand Prize
$2.04 Billion
Cash Value
$997.6 Million

When will the MAGA crowd start to scream about how the lottery is unfair and a Democratic ploy to destroy America?

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I got one number on 2 out of 3 tickets. Welp! The conspiracy talk online is just insane.

Interesting factoid: no jackpot winner has opted to take annual payments since 2014.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
I got one number on 2 out of 3 tickets. Welp! The conspiracy talk online is just insane.

Interesting factoid: no jackpot winner has opted to take annual payments since 2014.
I remember back in the day that these two points were the reason for the lump sump over the annual disbursement. I am not sure if they still hold true. 1. The interest gained on a wisely invested the lump sum, would far exceed the total of the annual. 2. The remaining annual disbursement cannot be inherited if one were to die.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I remember back in the day that these two points were the reason for the lump sump over the annual disbursement. I am not sure if they still hold true. 1. The interest gained on a wisely invested the lump sum, would far exceed the total of the annual. 2. The remaining annual disbursement cannot be inherited if one were to die.
Exactly! And I've read horror stories of inheritors having to sell off the remaining disbursements in certain states as they have to pay the tax on the remaining amount, not the annual disbursements.

I would just take the lump sum and be done with it. It's already going to be a headache dealing with a win. Why repeat it another 28 times.

Top Bottom
1 2