Powerball Frenzy

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning twice on a clear day than winning this thing, yet people are lined up for blocks to get a ticket SMH

(we bought 5 tickets yesterday)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hahaha, we get one ticket, even knowing the terrible odds, it's worth the $2 to talk about what we'd do with the money :D

(And really only when it gets up into the insane amounts, like it's not a weekly thing for us)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We split a subscription among 3 couples so it’s ~$106/couple per year to do 3 drawings/week. It’s cheap fun.

Oh, that's fun, and it would be kind of cool to win with other people you know.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Well, as long at is money you don’t need for other things, why not?

I can’t join the Powerball madness, but I do have a lottery subscription over here. For the price of a weekly beer at a pub I get a virtually nonexistent chance at life-changing amounts of money plus some entertainment checking the numbers two times a week. Fair trade.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
And purchased :D

It was actually $3, I always do the Power Play option for an extra $1, that doubles the non-Jackpot amount.

If I win, everyone who posts in this thread is getting $$$ ... :D

And by $$$ I mean ,like $20. :ROFLMAO:

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
And purchased :D

It was actually $3, I always do the Power Play option for an extra $1, that doubles the non-Jackpot amount.

If I win, everyone who posts in this thread is getting $$$ ... :D

And by $$$ I mean ,like $20. :ROFLMAO:
The way the Swedish Krona is doing $20 would be a significant addition to my family fortune. 🤣

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Would you believe I've never once bought a lottery ticket? I wouldn't even know what to do or how to play, lol.

I'm pretty amateur, I just walk up to the service counter at the grocery, "One Powerball ticket ..."

It prints, I hand them money. I am aware of the extra dollar to add a multiplier (that's another ball they pick at random) to the prizes other than the main jackpot, that takes a $1M to $2M, which is pretty stout (and other prizes from 2x to 10x, they cap the $1M at just 2x).

I don't pick the numbers, track trends, box/group, etc., they draw 5 [unique] numbers/balls between 1 and 69, and then a 6th number that's between 1 and 26 (that's the "Powerball"). Then there's a bunch of ways to win:

1667668830233.png

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I won $12 in Mega Millions on Tuesday and $38 in Take 5 yesterday, so I played $18 in Power Ball (all with Power Play) and got some scratchers. I remember being excited to play the lottery the summer I turned 18. Mom would play numbers for me a few times during the couple summers before then.

Boba tea spot I play at now I see tons of older folk playing outrageous amounts on a regular basis. One guy plays a couple hundred a day!! But he's retired, rents out three homes and parking space (I suspect he reports none of this). He always says "I ain't got nothing better to do!" He'll go to Atlantic City or Vegas a couple times a year. I've seen him hit for thousands too many times to count. And it seems he always plays my birthday number whenever he sees me and has hit that number more times than I have.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
  • Next drawing is 7Nov22 estimated value $1.9 Billion, cash value about $800M.
  • Odds of winning approx 1 in 290 million.
  • https://powerball.com/
How would this change your life? Your reality would shift drastically. Your life could become complicated as one set of concerns is replaced by another. It could put you in danger.

I was talking to a stranger in line at the store to buy a ticket- just one random pick, to be sure if a winner, it was intended for me. ;) He described an analogy, to win this jackpot, the odds are worse than in a game of chance where a beer bottle is placed every foot from New York to Florida going down Interstate 10. And not being able to see which bottle has the prize, while driving down the highway, you’d have to pick the correct bottle to win.

Yet, I remember the story of the person who was buying cigarettes in a gas station and to be able to meet the minimum purchase requirements to use her credit card, she bought a lottery ticket and won millions. :)

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
You have a better chance at winning by buying a ticket as opposed to avoiding the outdoors during a rain storm: gotta be in it to win it! ;)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
  • Next drawing is 7Nov22 estimated value $1.9 Billion, cash value about $800M.
  • Odds of winning approx 1 in 290 million.
  • https://powerball.com/
How would this change your life? Your reality would shift drastically. Your life could become complicated as one set of concerns is replaced by another. It could put you in danger.

You absolutely have to have a legal and accounting team ready (We'd likely just put my BIL, and his partner/legal on full time), I wouldn't even show up to claim the prize until I had everything in place (ticket goes into a HD ziplock, and that into a small, portable fireproof safe and that into a backpack close by :D). You might also want to be ready to "disappear" so to speak - which would be fine with us.

Yeah, people have no sense of this kind of money, sure, you can buy a lot of stuff, but it buys you access, whether that's schools, events, <whatever>.

Outside of a few large ticket items and/or a lot of the same expensive thing, you can't even spend this in your normal "life operations". Hell, you'd be making $20-25M a year on interest.

We'd probably move over to the river, new hurricane proof house, dock, and as much as I love cars, I wouldn't even go nuts in that capacity, there's only a few I'd like to own (and none are over-the-top as high end cars go ...), we'd get a place in NYC, and my big expense would be something like a 1-2 year old Gulfstream 5xx/6xx and a stand by flight crew service to fly out of SA to NYC or They Keys as desired. :)

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
You absolutely have to have a legal and accounting team ready (We'd likely just put my BIL, and his partner/legal on full time), I wouldn't even show up to claim the prize until I had everything in place (ticket goes into a HD ziplock, and that into a small, portable fireproof safe and that into a backpack close by :D). You might also want to be ready to "disappear" so to speak - which would be fine with us.

Yeah, people have no sense of this kind of money, sure, you can buy a lot of stuff, but it buys you access, whether that's schools, events, <whatever>.

Outside of a few large ticket items and/or a lot of the same expensive thing, you can't even spend this in your normal "life operations". Hell, you'd be making $20-25M a year on interest.

We'd probably move over to the river, new hurricane proof house, dock, and as much as I love cars, I wouldn't even go nuts in that capacity, there's only a few I'd like to own (and none are over-the-top as high end cars go ...), we'd get a place in NYC, and my big expense would be something like a 1-2 year old Gulfstream 5xx/6xx and a stand by flight crew service to fly out of SA to NYC or They Keys as desired. :)
My understanding if you live in the right State, you don’t have to declare yourself, yet I imagine maintaining anonymous status would be a challenge and would require moving.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh yeah? I thought you always had to be "announced" when you collected the prize, but that would be awesome if you didn't.

Several years ago the guy across the street won a jackpot, I want to say it was the Fantasy Five? Like it wasn't mammoth, like $500K-ish in pocket all said and done.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
One of my bros won a second prize in NYS lottery decades ago. A sweetheart of a guy, he decided to contract for construction of new drywells for my side yard where drainage had been poor from the main drywell out back. Out of the blue, his random lottery ticket picks at some gas station gave me a nice place to have some new flowerbeds. I used to buy tix once in awhile at the corner store in NYC where I bought birthday cards and ballpoint pens, but eventually decided I'd rather spend the dough at the Chinese takeout more often...

Top Bottom
1 2