Python coming to excel

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yeah I saw a bunch of security researchers joking around how they should “pour one out for their poor colleagues at Microsoft” who will have to deal with all new classes of errors.

KingOfPain

Site Champ
Reaction score
I prefer Perl, anyway :)

A long time ago I wrote a somewhat long Perl skript, because I needed pattern matching. It wasn't pretty...
Nowadys I prefer Python for small skripts that I need to use occasionally.

Microsoft should have gone with Lua; much better to embed.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
A long time ago I wrote a somewhat long Perl skript, because I needed pattern matching. It wasn't pretty...
Nowadys I prefer Python for small skripts that I need to use occasionally.

Me and a couple buddies wrote a massive perk/tk chip viewer that would even let you drag wires or cells around and see the affect on maximum clock speed as you moved stuff. It was amazing. We were so dumb.

(We rewrote version 2 in c++, and embedded Perl in it so it could be used as a scripting language).

mr_roboto

Site Champ
Reaction score
Perl is so much worse as a language design but the Perl interpreter is a product of mad genius. It's so much faster than Python at lots of things.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score

Lua may be easier to embed, but it runs up against the app store rules (last time I was researching something like this). Pushing it into the cloud makes it something that can be used on any client (Mobile, Web, Desktop), and using Python lines up with the data science folks that have decided that Python is where they are doing all their work.

If you really want something easy to embed everywhere these days, it's JavaScript. For better or worse. Mostly worse.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
When I was a grad student I was doing biomolecule calculations using a program I'd written in Perl. But as the molecules got bigger the programs began taking too long, so I switched to C++, and was amazed (since I didn't have a lot of real-world experience working with interpreted vs. compiled languages at the time) that C++ was literally 50x faster. I would actually have preferred using Fortran, but the program needed to dowload biomolecule info. from an NIH database, and also run a few external programs and capture their output. And (at the time) Fortran couldn't do one or both of those (I forget which).

Top Bottom
1 2