Second booster for those over 50

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Well, the only calibration data I have is that my wife tested positive with one of the home tests the USPS brought, on the same day she got a PCR test and tested positive. My daughter was with my wife at the superspreader event, seems to have symptoms, but as of yesterday was still testing negative at home. She’s still asleep at 3 in the afternoon, so no idea if she’d test positive today. Also possible she isn’t collecting the sample right, etc.
Fingers crossed for you. I know if my wife even gets a cold I move to a different area of the house but with COVID it's really hard to avoid the same air space in a single story home like that.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
One thing for y'all to keep in mind is that if you qualify for Paxlovid based on age or other factors, you should try to get it if you're within about five days of symptom onset. It's available in most places, but people aren't thinking about it because they believe the symptoms will resolve quickly. While that's true for many patients, the course of illness is quite variable, even if you are fully vaccinated and have received one or two boosters.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Fingers crossed for you. I know if my wife even gets a cold I move to a different area of the house but with COVID it's really hard to avoid the same air space in a single story home like that.
We have two stories, each with a separate HVAC system, and we have spent most of our time on separate floors. In the rare instances we’ve been in the same room, we both wear masks. I’m thinking of seeing if NASA Ames can lend me a spacesuit…

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
My family isn't yet eligible for the 2nd booster, but we have COVID now at work again. I haven't stopped masking.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It’s now been a week since my wife first felt symptoms (and about 9 days since she was exposed). She says her symptoms have been improving so she took a home covid test, and failed (“the T line is the darkest I’ve ever seen!”). Since her “symptoms are resolving,” under the confusing CDC guidelines, I guess she could go out and about with a mask by now? Makes you think about how many people don’t take tests, just so they can keep their heads in the sand and end their quarantines while still infectious.

oldBCguy

Site Champ
Reaction score
We (two well-aged seniors) received an e-mail earlier this month advising us that we were now eligible to receive the 2'nd booster (4'th shot) -- made appointments, and got the shots at a supermarket pharmacy. The daughter (young-senior) received her notice of eligibility the day we received our shots, and got her vaccination (via a local pharmacy to her) the next day.

Re: using masks 'now' -- my practice has not changed much since previous shots -- I always carry one -- when outside and about, it usually remains within my pocket --- when shopping inside stores - more often than not - it is usually on my face.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Took my wife 13 days before she tested negative on a home test. So I finally am able to be in the same room as her :)

Somehow I seem to have avoided infection, and while my daughter seemed to have symptoms for a day or two, she never tested positive (Though we didn’t have her PCR-tested).

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
Oh, I am just catching up on this.

My 14yo son tested positive yesterday. His school dropped the mask mandate after spring break, all the while with random cases going through the school. My son avoided all of it, even when playing lacrosse with some of the kids who got sick. He's been out of school a full week, hanging out at home and the pool, and tested positive yesterday. My best guess is that someone at swim team time trials was positive on Saturday and didn't know (or didn't care) and he got it there. He is literally outside or in his own room like 97% of the time, so it's really random he got sick while being outside. He had a fever and headache yesterday, coupled with a stuffy nose, but today only has the stuffy nose.

My daughter (16) had it in March. None of us got it when she had it, and she was required to stay in her room for the duration (as my son is now, except to get to the basement shower). I take food up and leave it outside the door. She tested positive for 11 calendar days. She only ever had a stuffy nose and tiredness. Her school has a rule that you must have a negative rapid test to return to school, regardless of the number of days (she got it right before spring break so only missed three days of school). We will use that same rule for our son.

My huband and I have so far managed to avoid it, and since our kids are so old, they can entertain themselves in their rooms with electronics and never really need to leave. Which is nice because it really narrows down the risk of transmission within the house, and we will wear masks if necessary if I have to be near the kids. My husband leaves it all to me. (Which is fine because I'm a SAHM and he's a work in the office dad.)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
How much longer does your son have school? (before summer vacation)

Our little G was done June 1, well, technically June 2, but that was a 1/2 day and the 8th graders mostly just bail.

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
How much longer does your son have school? (before summer vacation)

Our little G was done June 1, well, technically June 2, but that was a 1/2 day and the 8th graders mostly just bail.
He's been out of school for nearly two weeks. Which is why it's bizarre that he caught it now. He was also done on June 2th, with an 8th grade promotion ceremony and then a school dance in the evening. But it's extremely unlikely that he caught it the last day of school, 11 days prior to symptoms. The swim meet three days earlier seems a lot more likely, especially as at least one other person tested positive yesterday on the swim team.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Republicans, keeping it classy.

Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 4.33.52 PM.png

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
After being out and about last weekend I wanted to test and got a positive result. The line was super faint and barely readable without being under a bright light but it was there, everything I've read says this means it's positive.

However, since we have so many tests I subsequently took two more yesterday and third this morning, all of which show negative. Not sure what to make of it and I really have no symptoms to speak of but will treat it as a positive anyway just to be safe.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
After being out and about last weekend I wanted to test and got a positive result. The line was super faint and barely readable without being under a bright light but it was there, everything I've read says this means it's positive.

However, since we have so many tests I subsequently took two more yesterday and third this morning, all of which show negative. Not sure what to make of it and I really have no symptoms to speak of but will treat it as a positive anyway just to be safe.
sounds like your immune system is killing it

stay safe

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm

Generally speaking if a rapid test is negative, you don't have enough viral load to be contagious. My son only tested postive for 4 days, with symptoms (maybe actually only three, because I didn't have him test on day 4). The first day he had a headache and slight fever. By day three (still positive on a rapid) he was riding his bike in the driveway and playing with his lacrosse rebounder. Oodle of energy. On day 5 he tested negative and I let him resume normal life.

If you tested negative two days in a row, I'd say you are in the clear.

A friend of ours tested positive the other day with zero symptoms. He had visited his daughter away at college for 24 hours; while he was there, she tested positive (she had a previous possible exposure, so her being positive wasn't really a surprise), and then he tested positive the next day when he returned home. It's highly unlikely he got it from her AND tested positive within 24 hours or less....even the newest strains have a 2-3 day incubation period. I strongly believe he caught it sometime before his visit and was asymptomatic and it was coincidental that he tested positive when getting home....but of course we will never really know for sure.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Generally speaking if a rapid test is negative, you don't have enough viral load to be contagious. My son only tested postive for 4 days, with symptoms (maybe actually only three, because I didn't have him test on day 4). The first day he had a headache and slight fever. By day three (still positive on a rapid) he was riding his bike in the driveway and playing with his lacrosse rebounder. Oodle of energy. On day 5 he tested negative and I let him resume normal life.

If you tested negative two days in a row, I'd say you are in the clear.

A friend of ours tested positive the other day with zero symptoms. He had visited his daughter away at college for 24 hours; while he was there, she tested positive (she had a previous possible exposure, so her being positive wasn't really a surprise), and then he tested positive the next day when he returned home. It's highly unlikely he got it from her AND tested positive within 24 hours or less....even the newest strains have a 2-3 day incubation period. I strongly believe he caught it sometime before his visit and was asymptomatic and it was coincidental that he tested positive when getting home....but of course we will never really know for sure.
Great info here, it's appreciated. The first test yesterday showed the faint line (even though it had no color) and the instructions were still really clear that it meant a positive result. It's just the the other two afterwards (the same day) were both negative, as was this morning's as well. I figure I'll test once more tomorrow before going on my photo shoot and if it's negative I'll stop worrying so much, though will still practice safety measures, masking, etc.

Top Bottom
1 2