Second booster for those over 50

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting that it is as young as 50.

Here (UK) it is only over 75s and vulnerable over 12s being offered the second booster.
I think only 45 percent or so have gotten their first booster here. Appparently the numbers from Israel look good on preventing infections, so my guess is they have decided they might as well use doses for those willing to get them instead of trying to convince the holdouts

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
Pretty sure it's Omicron I'm just getting over....and the rapid tests (BTNK manufacturer) wouldn't pick it up - but everyone, including the medical staff, say that the rapid tests aren't worth a damn with Omicron - never showed up in the 3 that I did. Going to try to get my fiancee to test to see if it shows up in her. (her symptoms are milder). As I had 9 of the 12 symptoms they're screening for, the nurse said that's pretty definitive. Told me to self-isolate and get my ass to emerge if my breathing becomes an issue (I've had pneumonia in my lungs 4 times - smoked for about 30 years - quit for 12). This is day 3 of it being in my chest. Been off work most of the week (and being contract, I don't get paid for "sick days" *sigh*.

/end rant (whining) :)

Women would tell you, we all turn into big babies when we're sick. :) They're not wrong.

I'm triple-vaxed. Pretty sure I'd be in the ICU if I wasn't.

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
I’m good with a 4th jab. Hell, I’d get one every month if it meant staving off the worst of Covid.
Agreed. Hopefully not necessary, but… better be safe than sorry.

My parents have already received their 4th jab. Well, they are 83 and 80, so I am just glad they are being kept as safe as possible.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Agreed. Hopefully not necessary, but… better be safe than sorry.

My parents have already received their 4th jab. Well, they are 83 and 80, so I am just glad they are being kept as safe as possible.
I had a doctor appointment last week and told the nurse that I was boosted, her response "that won't prevent you from getting COVID anyway", then I mentioned it should help mitigate symptoms and keep me out of the hospital though, right? "Well, there's a lot of questions about that". Total antivaxxer mentality and she's a health professional.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I had a doctor appointment last week and told the nurse that I was boosted, her response "that won't prevent you from getting COVID anyway", then I mentioned it should help mitigate symptoms and keep me out of the hospital though, right? "Well, there's a lot of questions about that". Total antivaxxer mentality and she's a health professional.
Yeah i chatted with a nurse at a party in DC about 6 months ago. She was strongly anti-vax, and her entire job for the prior 3 months had been giving the shot to people. I think that’s what made her anti-vax, in fact. Remember that these people get a lot of practical training, but not a lot of theory, and if they aren’t working the ICUs they may choose to believe Fox News instead of their colleagues.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Yeah i chatted with a nurse at a party in DC about 6 months ago. She was strongly anti-vax, and her entire job for the prior 3 months had been giving the shot to people. I think that’s what made her anti-vax, in fact. Remember that these people get a lot of practical training, but not a lot of theory, and if they aren’t working the ICUs they may choose to believe Fox News instead of their colleagues.
For those who doubt the effectiveness of propaganda, those examples tell you how powerful it is. Would any of those people have suggested that people not get other vaccinations in the past? Of course not. But even health professionals are swayed by the anti-vax, anti-mask propaganda foisted on America concerning COVID-19.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
I see it all the time for those who made politics their identity. When the whole thing about getting the vaccine would prevent infections and statement by Biden along those lines, at the time it was the truth. My state went down to .5% positivity rate and was averaging 50 cases a day( the lowest it has ever been since COVID became a thing). They were mostly the unvax people getting it. Of course we were also told through out the roll out process, variants could skirt around the vaccine, the whole 94% efficacy rate was about preventing severe cases, break throughs could still happen, etc. Which surprise Delta and Omicron were able to( but vaccines could still prevent severe illness).

But nope the people who were consumed with politics, started to run with Biden lied, doctors lied, screw Fauci, etc when cases sky rocketed again. Still see memes based off Biden's statement.

People don't want to have a discussion about it. They just want to be political and rant.

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
That is pretty bad. Some people just do not get it.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I think only 45 percent or so have gotten their first booster here. Appparently the numbers from Israel look good on preventing infections, so my guess is they have decided they might as well use doses for those willing to get them instead of trying to convince the holdouts
Not quite accurate about the Israeli data, which were published in a pre-print two days ago. The 4th dose of the Pfizer vaccine showed a peak efficacy of 64% during week 3 of the study, declining to 29% by the end of the 10-week follow-up period. Protection against severe disease (defined as requiring hospitalization or death), was good, but severe disease was also rare among people who had only received 3 doses. One caveat is that the study population was aged 60 and above, and results in younger people might be different.

My take is that a 4th dose of the mRNA vaccines will be offered in other countries. However, uptake will be low, as is the case for "booster" shots. It's doubtful that anyone who would accept a 3rd dose would change their mind and take 2 more.

My greatest concern is that in addition to patients who experience prolonged, debilitating symptoms, we'll increasingly learn that people who experienced mild episodes of COVID-19 will be prone to a variety of neurological, cardiovascular, endocrine, and other conditions for the rest of their lives.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not quite accurate about the Israeli data, which were published in a pre-print two days ago. The 4th dose of the Pfizer vaccine showed a peak efficacy of 64% during week 3 of the study, declining to 29% by the end of the 10-week follow-up period. Protection against severe disease (defined as requiring hospitalization or death), was good, but severe disease was also rare among people who had only received 3 doses. One caveat is that the study population was aged 60 and above, and results in younger people might be different.

My take is that a 4th dose of the mRNA vaccines will be offered in other countries. However, uptake will be low, as is the case for "booster" shots. It's doubtful that anyone who would accept a 3rd dose would change their mind and take 2 more.

My greatest concern is that in addition to patients who experience prolonged, debilitating symptoms, we'll increasingly learn that people who experienced mild episodes of COVID-19 will be prone to a variety of neurological, cardiovascular, endocrine, and other conditions for the rest of their lives.

My sister has had lots of problems since she first got covid in march 2019. And she recently got omicron.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
At my Rheumatologist appt. earlier this week he asked if I knew about the latest booster. He was quite surprised I haven't yet been offered a second booster since according to him, the CDC is recommending it. I'm game for a second booster and will get it as soon as it's available. My first booster was September 20th, 2021 so I have no problem getting another one, especially since I have a partially suppressed immune system.

I've had Covid. Although mine was mild (I had it before vaccines were available), once was enough. Especially not knowing what permanent damage I may have incurred.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
At my Rheumatologist appt. earlier this week he asked if I knew about the latest booster. He was quite surprised I haven't yet been offered a second booster since according to him, the CDC is recommending it. I'm game for a second booster and will get it as soon as it's available. My first booster was September 20th, 2021 so I have no problem getting another one, especially since I have a partially suppressed immune system.
My understanding is that the CDC had only been recommending it for immunocompromised people so far?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Which I am (immunocompromised). Hence my Rheumatologist bringing it up. Humira, my biologic, suppresses part of my immune system. Plus as I mentioned above, I've had Covid. Once was more than enough.

Well stay safe! That’s why i still wear a mask - I don’t want to unknowingly infect someone whose system can’t handle it.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Still wearing a mask here and will continue to do so for a while until it is clear that there is no more risk of either infecting someone else or becoming infected myself. When the fourth dose/second booster becomes available here I will definitely go and get the jab. Better safe than sorry!

Top Bottom
1 2