Sept. 9, 2024 - “It’s Glowtime” Event

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Main Camera
Sony
Apple announced Sept. 9 as the date for this year’s iPhone event. Expecting also new Apple Watches and Airpods.

Leaks on iPhone 16 lineup and AirPods 4, but I cannot find much on the Apple Watch 10 refresh. Currently have an Apple Watch 7 that needs a refresh.

Leaks on iPhone 16 lineup and AirPods 4, but I cannot find much on the Apple Watch 10 refresh. Currently have an Apple Watch 7 that needs a refresh.
supposedly bigger screens this time (45/49?)

My wife and I are looking forward to new iPhone 16s.

Regarding cameras... I'm not so interested in greater telephoto reach. Although that might be nice in a pinch.

But... I read on MR that the A/D that samples the output of the main camera sensor is now 14 bit resolution. I don't know if that's up from 12 bits or 10 bits. In either case, ideally, that should result in recording more subtle light variations off the sensor, producing more nuanced photographs (assuming sensor and A/D noise is low and not an issue).

My wife and I are looking forward to new iPhone 16s.

Regarding cameras... I'm not so interested in greater telephoto reach. Although that might be nice in a pinch.

But... I read on MR that the A/D that samples the output of the main camera sensor is now 14 bit resolution. I don't know if that's up from 12 bits or 10 bits. In either case, ideally, that should result in recording more subtle light variations off the sensor, producing more nuanced photographs (assuming sensor and A/D noise is low and not an issue).
We’re planning on the 16 also, coming from SE2s. Should be a significant camera upgrade a couple of weeks before a New Mexico vacation; looking forward to cool desert pics.

Not looking forward to a bigger phone in my pocket but I suspect that’s about to be unavoidable with iPhones.

We’re planning on the 16 also, coming from SE2s. Should be a significant camera upgrade a couple of weeks before a New Mexico vacation; looking forward to cool desert pics.

Not looking forward to a bigger phone in my pocket but I suspect that’s about to be unavoidable with iPhones.

Wife has a 13 Mini and she came from an SE2 as well. Hates the big phablets.

I decided to wait on the 16, now can't decide if I want to go Max or not. I wish they offered "testers" so I could carry it around for a couple of days to see if it is too big.

Has to be bigger to hold all that Apple Intelligence

I just hope it's not too big.

For the last twenty years the only shirts I wear (unless I'm going to a funeral or wedding) are Dickies heavyweight crew neck short/long sleeve tees.

They have a perfect pocket size for a larger iPhone inside Apple's silicon rubbery case. It's easy to yank out my phone when I want to make a photo on the streets of San Francisco. But grippy enough so if some miscreant walking by me tries to quickly jack it out of my pocket at even a slight angle, it's not going anywhere.

Wife has a 13 Mini and she came from an SE2 as well. Hates the big phablets.

I decided to wait on the 16, now can't decide if I want to go Max or not. I wish they offered "testers" so I could carry it around for a couple of days to see if it is too big.
I was concerned about this before I got my 15 Pro Max last year, so I made some cardboard cutouts based on reported sizes and played with them. I also compared the expected weight to the iPhone I was already carrying. I don't recall if the Max had other advantages over the regular Pro, but if there were any I considered them icing. TBH, I wouldn't want anything bigger, and my phone sticks out of some shirt pockets a bit more than I'd prefer (though that's a good way to video record without holding the phone).

When all was said and done, I was happy I got the larger size iPhone.

I was concerned about this before I got my 15 Pro Max last year, so I made some cardboard cutouts based on reported sizes and played with them. I also compared the expected weight to the iPhone I was already carrying. I don't recall if the Max had other advantages over the regular Pro, but if there were any I considered them icing. TBH, I wouldn't want anything bigger, and my phone sticks out of some shirt pockets a bit more than I'd prefer (though that's a good way to video record without holding the phone).

When all was said and done, I was happy I got the larger size iPhone.

Coming from an iPhone X, I did something similar a few years ago first making a mockup of an iPhone 12 ProMax out of some scrap wood and making sure it would fit OK in the shirts I like to wear.

iPhone X and 12 Pro Max.jpg

Of course they do offer them.

You buy a Max, and if it's too big, you have 14 days to return it. Then you get the littler one. Zero hassle, took 2 minutes when I did it years ago.

Bye bye LCD phones.

Article isn't clear if they mean new phones released in '25 such as the 17 or if they plan on switching production mid year for these screens. Also seems like the Pro's already have the OLED.

According to my MacTracker app, all the phones are already OLED, going back to the 14s, so the only LCD phone in the lineup is the SE. Perhaps they will have a gen-4 SE that is OLED, or replace it with a 16 mini.

I, personally, would like to see some sort of reverse-projection display, so that the light generated by the screen is not shining directly into my eyes but is bounced off a diffusing surface. It would be so much better at night.

I, personally, would like to see some sort of reverse-projection display, so that the light generated by the screen is not shining directly into my eyes but is bounced off a diffusing surface. It would be so much better at night.
In what way would that be better than an OLED set to very low brightness?

In what way would that be better than an OLED set to very low brightness?
I think there is a real difference between a light pointed directly into your eye vs a surface reflecting the light in a non-mirror-like way. Really dim projected light is very low contrast, whereas reflected light could be brighter an offer better contrast in the dark. I am not sure exactly how it would work, but it seems to me that it might be possible to give a screen a more paper-like presentation, which is what I would want. Not everyone would, but I would.

New Apple Watch Series 10 looks ok. Screen bigger than Ultra. Waiting to hear battery life - huge advantage of Ultra in my experience.

New Apple Watch, but it looks like the others but a larger screen. Not sure how I feel about that, I find my 41mm series 7 to be the perfect size.

EDIT: Boo! They got rid of Stainless Steel.

Back