Sept. 9, 2024 - “It’s Glowtime” Event

Camera upgrades and enhancements are pretty sweet.
definitely, especially coming from an iPhone 14 Pro Max like I am. Assuming the ergonomics on the camera button are good, it’s a game changer for me. Pretty much would eliminate me carrying around my RX100VI. (Not a replacement for my other cameras yet, of course, but at the current pace it might not be long)

So far the watch stuff is meh, the AirPods Pro stuff is sweet (like the hearing assistance) and the iPhones seem like honest upgrades this time around.

So far the watch stuff is meh, the AirPods Pro stuff is sweet (like the hearing assistance) and the iPhones seem like honest upgrades this time around.
The power of compounded updates. Enough better each year to get people to upgrade. Adds up over time.

Interesting microphone upgrades for making videos. If they work well, that could make me reconsider what I use to shoot a video-based project I'm noodling using a Sony mirrorless cam.

If not, there are other audio capture options that could still work well with video captured from a 16PM.

At this point Apple should make a camera, with a lens mount.
Check out moment lenses for your iphone. Really neat actually and already advertising their iphone 16 solutions.

Check out moment lenses for your iphone. Really neat actually and already advertising their iphone 16 solutions.

Sure, but you inherently have loss going from one lens to the other, and these aren’t the kind of high-quality lenses I’d like to use. Being able to use leica M lenses (via an adapter) for example, would be amazing.

The new watch is a definite buy for me, with the thinner design, big display, fast charging, and new health stuff being pretty awesome coming from the series 6. Passing on the iPhone, though; I've got a 15 Pro Max, and the main improvements are camera-related which wouldn't really make a difference for me. Low light display, somewhat better battery life, and faster MagSafe would be nice, but not really worth it. My girlfriend has an iPhone 11 Pro, though, so she's thrilled to upgrade and will love all the fancy camera stuff.

Anyone else notice them say that they now support direct access to the matrix hardware? I don't remember where I saw that, or what exactly their words were, so I may have misunderstood this.

Assuming I'm right, that feels like a pretty big step.

New Apple Watch, but it looks like the others but a larger screen. Not sure how I feel about that, I find my 41mm series 7 to be the perfect size.

EDIT: Boo! They got rid of Stainless Steel.
I have a Series 6 that I think is 40 mm, so the new one would be 2 mm larger, which would be fine. My battery is at 80% max capacity, the threshold where Apple recommends replacement, and I have to recharge often. I'd consider the Series 10, but I'd rather not give up the ability to measure blood oxygenation. I didn't hear if the O2 sensor still exists on the new model. Apple remains involved in a lawsuit with Masimo - at the rate these things go, my O2 sat will probably be 0% by the time it's settled. :) Interestingly, Masimo CEO is close friends with Joe Biden, according to CNBC. I should remind the Dems of that the next time they ask for money, which happens about once every hour.

I don't think dog owners will appreciate a bunch of people coming up and taking photos of their dog. Why not just ask them "What kind of dog is that?"

Also, Siri will never be complete until it ends every answer it gives you with "you dumbass."
It'd be worse if it worked on humans. The digital equivalent of "What are you?" or "Where do your people come from?" I'd be impressed if it worked on cats, though.

Since I'm still on a series 4, I'm pretty sure I'll be updating my watch.

I'm still on the fence with my phone. It's a 14 Pro Max and still meets my needs. I might go for it or just wait to see what next year brings. I've not decided yet.

The AI stuff looks cool and I'd love to try it, but I'm not seeing anything I can't live without. But maybe I missed something that would make an upgrade worth it. I'll keep an open mind for now.

I already have AirPods I don't use, so I see no reason to get new ones I wouldn't use. I'd also need new case for them that would protect the AirPods case while they sit in my drawer not being used. I'd need a new charger and they'd need to be kept charged. It can be a pain not using something. So I'm pretty sure that's a pass.

I should remind the Dems of that the next time they ask for money, which happens about once every hour.

Hah, same here after I donated a month ago. *Ostensibly* with separate pleas from Kamala Harris, Doug Emhoff, Tim Walz, Gwen Walz, Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton, Gavin Newsom... around 5-10 times a day now. On both messaging and email. It's getting really annoying.

I'm waiting for Harry Truman to hit me up for Harris.

Upgrading the watch (from an SE), upgrading my iPhone (from the 13 mini). Love the size of the mini - but the cellular radio has just been abysmal here in the BC lower mainland. Both Rogers and Telus. Just crap.

Hah, same here after I donated a month ago. *Ostensibly* with separate pleas from Kamala Harris, Doug Emhoff, Tim Walz, Gwen Walz, Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton, Gavin Newsom... around 5-10 times a day now. On both messaging and email. It's getting really annoying.

I'm waiting for Harry Truman to hit me up for Harris.
I got a call from Lincoln... he's one of those Republicans for Harris.

Consider yourself lucky if you're just getting hit up 5-10 times a day. I'm getting about 40-50 emails and another 20 or more texts daily.

Back