Sept. 9, 2024 - “It’s Glowtime” Event

Hah, same here after I donated a month ago. *Ostensibly* with separate pleas from Kamala Harris, Doug Emhoff, Tim Walz, Gwen Walz, Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton, Gavin Newsom... around 5-10 times a day now. On both messaging and email. It's getting really annoying.

I'm waiting for Harry Truman to hit me up for Harris.
And Dick Cheney 😱

Why do they feel the need to change the sizes by a milometer every couple of years?

That said, I will be ordering my 16 Pro 256 on the 13th. I have 4 days to decide if I want the Max this time.

Why do they feel the need to change the sizes by a milometer every couple of years?

That said, I will be ordering my 16 Pro 256 on the 13th. I have 4 days to decide if I want the Max this time.
Did you try the cutout test to see what the two sizes feel like? It convinced me to get the Max last year.

I have a Series 6 that I think is 40 mm, so the new one would be 2 mm larger, which would be fine. My battery is at 80% max capacity, the threshold where Apple recommends replacement, and I have to recharge often. I'd consider the Series 10, but I'd rather not give up the ability to measure blood oxygenation. I didn't hear if the O2 sensor still exists on the new model. Apple remains involved in a lawsuit with Masimo - at the rate these things go, my O2 sat will probably be 0% by the time it's settled. :) Interestingly, Masimo CEO is close friends with Joe Biden, according to CNBC. I should remind the Dems of that the next time they ask for money, which happens about once every hour.
You’re right. I don’t think they talked about the smaller one. 42mm is almost the same size as my 41mm series 7 so that’s not bad.

I can’t seem to find any info on the glass. Did they get rid of the sapphire crystal?

Did you try the cutout test to see what the two sizes feel like? It convinced me to get the Max last year.

I did the same cutting a piece of scrap wood before getting my PM last year to make sure it fit in the type of pocket t-shirts I wear all the time. Need to make another one before buying the 16PM.

The titanium model has a sapphire crystal: https://www.apple.com/apple-watch-series-10/specs/
Both models also have the blood oxygen sensor, though it won’t work in the U.S. It’s too bad - it would be interesting to correlate O2 levels with sleep apnea. I also wonder if and when Apple will include a blood pressure sensor, which has been rumored for a few years. Probably quite challenging to get it to work reliably, though.

Both models also have the blood oxygen sensor, though it won’t work in the U.S. It’s too bad - it would be interesting to correlate O2 levels with sleep apnea. I also wonder if and when Apple will include a blood pressure sensor, which has been rumored for a few years. Probably quite challenging to get it to work reliably, though.
Interesting… I first checked the uk and de stores, and I didn’t see blood oxygen listed, but the ca store does indeed list it. Maybe if that lawsuit ever ends Apple will just enable it.

For anyone who has been Beta testing iOS 18, have you used the satellite texting? Does it work well?

I currently have a Garmin InReach for when I am out in the boonies ,so if something goes bad, I can call for help. But satellite texting seems like it could replace my Garmin.

iPhone 16 Pro 256 in black ordered this morning. For delivery on of before 9/20.

I will admit not hating that I didn't have to get up at 3am to place my order like in the old days. :)

iPhone 16 Pro 256 in black ordered this morning. For delivery on of before 9/20.

I will admit not hating that I didn't have to get up at 3am to place my order like in the old days. :)
LOL on the old days. I still have an alarm (not active) on my phone from when I had to get up around 2 AM to order the iPhone X in 2017. I haven't been running iOS 18 beta because I use my phone for work apps, but will probably update as soon as I find out they're compatible with the new OS.

Ordered a white iPhone Pro and a desert titanium iPhone Pro Max at 5:10 pacific, delivery on Sep. 20th. Really looking forward to the new camera stuff, and since I didn’t upgrade last year, the action button, bigger screen, titanium frame, etc. will all be new to me.

Ordered two but had to order separate because I attached both to a carrier. My wife’s first (16 black 128gb) with a delivery date of Sep 20. Mine next (16 teal 256 gb) and the date shifted to Sept 25. Ouch.

I was up at 5am PDT ready to order a Black 16PM, but had to wait 10 minutes before I could get through. Pick mine up at the local shopping center Apple Store on the 20th at 1pm. Of course that gives me an excuse to hit the nearby Shake Shack. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing how its four mics and sound processing work, apparently being able to separate subjects dynamically when making videos (I have a project in mind, where I would be one of the subjects speaking, off camera). That would especially be nice being able to do that in post, which can apparently be done.

My first thought was beamform signal processing. But for audio frequencies that would require very large baselines. There must be some other signal processing trickery involved in order to make it work well isolating separate subjects.

I was up at 5am PDT ready to order a Black 16PM, but had to wait 10 minutes before I could get through. Pick mine up at the local shopping center Apple Store on the 20th at 1pm. Of course that gives me an excuse to hit the nearby Shake Shack. :)

Stanford mall?

I was going to go through t moble but you cant get a trade in if you don't do a monthly payment plan. Plus you only get 250.00 if I buy direct from Apple I get 320.00 but Now with a unlocked phone how do I get started do I take the sim out of my old phone and put it in the new one?

Back