Smart home tech

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Nice when stuff gets updated with support for HomeKit. Just yesterday I connected two Netatmo sensors to HomeKit and can now enjoy readings from two rooms in one app (Home) instead of two. Seriously. Two devices that externally only differ in color, made by the same manufacturer, providing the same types of sensors — Two different apps on the phone.

The Home app seems to average the temperature of all temperature sensors when presenting the Home temperature, and then the corresponding temperature when viewing the particular room a sensor is located in. Makes sense. Until I change the batteries of my outdoor module and it starts reporting temperatures. It is currently not clear to me how I can have easy access to the readings of that sensor without messing up the Home temperature… Maybe I’ll have to log in over at MR again and see if I can get answers that way.

U

User.45

Nice when stuff gets updated with support for HomeKit. Just yesterday I connected two Netatmo sensors to HomeKit and can now enjoy readings from two rooms in one app (Home) instead of two. Seriously. Two devices that externally only differ in color, made by the same manufacturer, providing the same types of sensors — Two different apps on the phone.

The Home app seems to average the temperature of all temperature sensors when presenting the Home temperature, and then the corresponding temperature when viewing the particular room a sensor is located in. Makes sense. Until I change the batteries of my outdoor module and it starts reporting temperatures. It is currently not clear to me how I can have easy access to the readings of that sensor without messing up the Home temperature… Maybe I’ll have to log in over at MR again and see if I can get answers that way.

Homekit is still half-cooked. It offers very low functionality for lights so I am once again unimpressed by it, though it got to the level of being barely but functional.

I have an ecobee thermostat that is homekit compatible (version 2 of ecobee3 and up). Now I can assign the Thermostat and its sensors to different rooms and control it from the Home app. But I can't program my Hue Dimmer Switch using Home. The Switch has 4 buttons: on, off, increase decrease, where you can add up to 5 different actions to each press of On. In Home it only sees 4 buttons, no sequential action on button press, unless I create a rather complex Shortcut. And the response to Home programmed switching is wonky at best.

Thus, here's what I recommend people who have smart lights and wanna use Homekit to control them:
A) Either use lights and switches from the same Homekit compatible vendor
B) Combine them in a way that their operation takes place in separate spaces (I ended up using Hues on my main floor, Nanoleafs in the bedrooms, etc)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@Eric Can we merge the two "Smart Home Tech" threads? The one I'm posting in with this one:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Homekit is still half-cooked. It offers very low functionality for lights so I am once again unimpressed by it, though it got to the level of being barely but functional.

I have an ecobee thermostat that is homekit compatible (version 2 of ecobee3 and up). Now I can assign the Thermostat and its sensors to different rooms and control it from the Home app. But I can't program my Hue Dimmer Switch using Home. The Switch has 4 buttons: on, off, increase decrease, where you can add up to 5 different actions to each press of On. In Home it only sees 4 buttons, no sequential action on button press, unless I create a rather complex Shortcut. And the response to Home programmed switching is wonky at best.

Thus, here's what I recommend people who have smart lights and wanna use Homekit to control them:
B) Combine them in a way that their operation takes place in separate spaces (I ended up using Hues on my main floor, Nanoleafs in the bedrooms, etc)
This new PS4 game looks fun:

1625329607791.jpeg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
@Eric Can we merge the two "Smart Home Tech" threads? The one I'm posting in with this one:

Since Chew Toy started the other one first we would logically be merging this one into that. Let's get @P_X to confirm he's good with that first since he started this one separately.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score

That’s one of the reasons I’m aiming to have an instance of openHAB doing the heavy lifting and just expose simple things via HomeKit. I’m happy with using Home (and Siri and Alexa) mostly for basic control of stuff (toggle outlets/dim lights, stuff). I rarely need to change things so I’m okay with configuring stuff using a separate app.

HomeKit and Home is keeping me content for now until I take some time to revisit my homelab and get things up and running.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I thought I was having an old guy moment, I'm like, "I'm positive I posted in the Smart Home Tech thread, but I don't see it ... Ma! Get muh medications!!"

U

User.45

I thought I was having an old guy moment, I'm like, "I'm positive I posted in the Smart Home Tech thread, but I don't see it ... Ma! Get muh medications!!"
Ditto, but I was also lazy to make that request, LOL.

U

User.45

Another review, now for Doorbells.

So with the new house I inherited an Arlo Wired Doorbell too. I have to tell ya...It uses a 16-24 VDC transformer which as it turned out was fried in this new house...I actually had to use a multimeter, measure it out, replace it, electrocute myself (so glad it's only 110V here not the usual 230, LOL). But now it's working. It's supposed to be Homekit compatible, but it seems to require an Arlo base for that to work. So that's also half functional too. The doorbell is cute though. We live in a major city's relatively frequently walked area. I can eavesdrop on passers byer's conversations...the mic actually picks up talk a block down.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Another review, now for Doorbells.

So with the new house I inherited an Arlo Wired Doorbell too. I have to tell ya...It uses a 16-24 VDC transformer which as it turned out was fried in this new house...I actually had to use a multimeter, measure it out, replace it, electrocute myself (so glad it's only 110V here not the usual 230, LOL). But now it's working. It's supposed to be Homekit compatible, but it seems to require an Arlo base for that to work. So that's also half functional too. The doorbell is cute though. We live in a major city's relatively frequently walked area. I can eavesdrop on passers byer's conversations...the mic actually picks up talk a block down.
If you're not shocking yourself every now and then when installing your own electrical equipment you're not a true amateur lol. I've done it quite a few times over the years so I feel your pain (sometimes all the way down to my heels). ⚡

U

User.45

If you're not shocking yourself every now and then when installing your own electrical equipment you're not a true amateur lol. I've done it quite a few times over the years so I feel your pain (sometimes all the way down to my heels). ⚡
Yup, this was really dumb on my end:) I paid special attention not to close the circuit with my heart being part of that very circuit. Here I needed the power running to measure stuff out with the multimeter and didn't feel like running down to the fuse box, running back, placing multimeter, running to fuse box, running back, looking at multimeter read, run to fuse box etc. Truth is, I was in a timecrunch because my wife took the kids out for a short walk. I didn't tell her what I was up to, and the transformer would have been the first thing they would have grabbed upon coming home. So I didn't want to lose sight of it even for a second. I could have just called my wife telling her to take a longer walk...but I didn't want her to worry about me getting electrocuted... Well:D

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Just saw an ADT commercial with Google Home and a person said "Hey Google, unlock the front door". It's hard to believe the supposed leader in home security would condone such an obvious security risk.

U

User.45

Just saw an ADT commercial with Google Home and a person said "Hey Google, unlock the front door". It's hard to believe the supposed leader in home security would condone such an obvious security risk.
If ADT is the leader we all are in trouble. A small story in these regards:

When I bought the house i was called by ADT's sale team. I told them I'll think about their offer and call me in a week. Two days later two guys wearing ADT jackets knock on my door with an attitude of "beating sales" to getting my business...Sales told me that they'd waive a $99 fee for a home inspection and these two guys tell me they can inspect my house for free instead of $99 and talking shit about ADT sales... I tell them no thank you politely at first, then another time indicating that I'm busy with my kids who are visibly growing antsy, and they still don't shut up just go on yapping...I tell then NO and I really need to go and while I'm closing the door they tell me, "sorry for not letting us save you money. Enjoy paying $99." A few days later sales call me and I ask them if these were really ADT techs and they say probably. The service was already way too expensive, but the attitude and lack of coordination was super off-putting.

So based on this I wouldn't be surprised of the commercial was true and I would never use their services anyway.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
If ADT is the leader we all are in trouble. A small story in these regards:

When I bought the house i was called by ADT's sale team. I told them I'll think about their offer and call me in a week. Two days later two guys wearing ADT jackets knock on my door with an attitude of "beating sales" to getting my business...Sales told me that they'd waive a $99 fee for a home inspection and these two guys tell me they can inspect my house for free instead of $99 and talking shit about ADT sales... I tell them no thank you politely at first, then another time indicating that I'm busy with my kids who are visibly growing antsy, and they still don't shut up just go on yapping...I tell then NO and I really need to go and while I'm closing the door they tell me, "sorry for not letting us save you money. Enjoy paying $99." A few days later sales call me and I ask them if these were really ADT techs and they say probably. The service was already way too expensive, but the attitude and lack of coordination was super off-putting.

So based on this I wouldn't be surprised of the commercial was true and I would never use their services anyway.
Wow, nothing turns me off more than hard sales, I'll flat out tell them to GTF off my porch.

BTW in the commercial they said that word for word so it's true.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
after smartthings app update we pretty much have not been able to access it. the automations for the most part kept running but when we leave or arrive nothing happens. it has not been perfect over the years but it usually worked. I had not really used HomeKit as for years it sucked. plus at the time I had to set it up on my wife's phone so she could use voice over years ago but that meant I had to use her phone to change anything. but I see now I can set it up so I can change things. we had wemo outlets for years that worked mostly but I have had ones go bad. when we changed our wifi router they have been more unreliable. but lately sometimes the plant light ones would not turn on or not turn off. we have Hue so thats ready to go so I bought a bunch of new HomeKit outlets. not a huge expense. also needed new door and window sensors. but they are not expensive. what costs are the new locks the Schlage locks were the expensive part. they either work with smartthings or HomeKit not both so 400 for the new locks. but they are the most important because my wife could not deal with them to check if they were locked when she left. usually she manually locks them. but its good too be able to check and to be able to lock and unlock them remotely. these versions of the lock I can use a app to set all the things like codes and such instead of having to punch them into the keypad. not sure how much I can automate HomeKit. like if I opened a window the fan in that window would turn off and turn off when I shut it, also with the temp it would turn off when it got 69 degrees. far more things connect to smart things its crazy. like arlo hooks right up arlo is supposed to hook uo to HomeKit but I think our hub is too old. I used arlo as a outdoor motion sensor for our system. just checked and my Arlo system should connect but it wont.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
after smartthings app update we pretty much have not been able to access it. the automations for the most part kept running but when we leave or arrive nothing happens. it has not been perfect over the years but it usually worked. I had not really used HomeKit as for years it sucked. plus at the time I had to set it up on my wife's phone so she could use voice over years ago but that meant I had to use her phone to change anything. but I see now I can set it up so I can change things. we had wemo outlets for years that worked mostly but I have had ones go bad. when we changed our wifi router they have been more unreliable. but lately sometimes the plant light ones would not turn on or not turn off. we have Hue so thats ready to go so I bought a bunch of new HomeKit outlets. not a huge expense. also needed new door and window sensors. but they are not expensive. what costs are the new locks the Schlage locks were the expensive part. they either work with smartthings or HomeKit not both so 400 for the new locks. but they are the most important because my wife could not deal with them to check if they were locked when she left. usually she manually locks them. but its good too be able to check and to be able to lock and unlock them remotely. these versions of the lock I can use a app to set all the things like codes and such instead of having to punch them into the keypad. not sure how much I can automate HomeKit. like if I opened a window the fan in that window would turn off and turn off when I shut it, also with the temp it would turn off when it got 69 degrees. far more things connect to smart things its crazy. like arlo hooks right up arlo is supposed to hook uo to HomeKit but I think our hub is too old. I used arlo as a outdoor motion sensor for our system. just checked and my Arlo system should connect but it wont.
I think the app update killed your return ⏎ key as well. 😜

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I finally picked up a camera solution: Eufy 2c kit with 2 cameras (Eufy is an Anker product, I didn't realize this from previous research)

I wanted:

HomeKit compatible
Wireless - talking zero wires / free standing
Battery powered (see above)
No service requirement / local storage

And all the typical things you'd want in an [external] camera: good quality video, night mode, motion/people detection, etc.

I looked up a a couple of reviews and this product was constantly rated at the top, specifically the best for a fully wireless product, supposed to last 180 days - and as I'm sure that's the first thing some might ask ... no, it's no big deal for to toss them onto a charger for a 1/2 a day every few months. :) They're IP67 water resistant, have slick, simple mounts (that are easily disconnected), and the cameras are pretty small, I have an idea for a possible 3rd camera.

The system comes with a base with 16GB of storage, I connected it to the network with ethernet, the setup using their app was pretty simple, push a couple of buttons, set a camera near the base, they show right up in the Eufy app, it will send alerts when they detect motion, can you name them, swap positions in the multiview, check battery, very full featured.

So I go to connect it to HomeKit, I open the iOS app, hit the [+], add device, the cameras won't scan, they have a QR code, but I can see it's not a HomeKit code (missing the little house icon), OK, I see the base does have one, I scan it and get a message (the base actually has voice for messages), "Unit Already Configured", same message on the app, says, to reset and set it up under homekit ... uh, OK ...

So I reset it, [+] add device, it scans, says added, I see nothing on HomeKit. So I set the two cameras up again, sync button on base + sync button on each camera, they show up under the Eufy app again. Hmm, maybe these won't work as expected, but I stick them outside just on the left/right fence, work great, video is awesome. The next day I'm rummaging around in the Eufy app and I see under the config for the base, there's a HomeKit authentication! In that function, you can select any paired devices, so I select both cameras and **BOOM** both show under HomeKit now :D

With that setup I now have a single unified app to control various plugs, the main TV, and the two cameras, and I can do cool things like save streams to iCloud, setup Scenes, add them to an Automation, very cool. You can even view the cameras on the AppleTV (the one downstairs is also the HomeKit hub).

I might buy a 3rd camera and I have a little trick planned - our mailbox is mounted on a hollow, square pole, the cross beam (where the box sits), would let me place something in the upper section and have it rest on top of the crossbeam, __inside__ the pole. I'd cut out a small hole on the side facing the house. SECRET SPY STUFF :D

Last edited:

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
Maybe one of you can point me at a deadbolt replacement for my apartment that would work (likely bluetooth) with the Apple Watch and iPhone (HomeKit) as well as the RFID fobs? (that's what are used in the building - I've cloned the tags that the developer put in the bulky garage remotes into these slim little fobs) :).

Bought the RFID cloner and a few rewritable fobs from these guys: https://tinylabs.io

Hoping Apple's announcements about embracing digital ID's and locks for Apple Wallet will get more universal HomeKit compatibility, but we'll see....it takes time for new products to come to market.

Top Bottom
1 2