The 2020 Republican National Convention thread

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
yes, they are all exempt. No idea about the lady on the right, red dress, which caught my eye.
Leaning on technicalities aside, would you be in favor of future incumbents using the WH as a political backdrop?

It does seem like an unfair advantage as only one side is allowed to use the imagery for political gain.

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
Leaning on technicalities aside, would you be in favor of future incumbents using the WH as a political backdrop?

It does seem like an unfair advantage as only one side is allowed to use the imagery for political gain.

I said the other day that I don’t like the move, but to be honest I hated much more Pompeo for giving a speech esp. during international travel.

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
Obama would have been called the antichrist for this.
For this to be OK, the would have to use contractors to maintain the facilities, etc. It's a total abuse of federal resources.

I am pretty sure everything was paid for by the RNC. Unless the feds were asked to do something outside of their regular duties, nothing is irregular. Not nice, I disagree with the choice, but not irregular.

U

User.45

I am pretty sure everything was paid for by the RNC. Unless the feds were asked to do something outside of their regular duties, nothing is irregular. Not nice, I disagree with the choice, but not irregular.
I don't think it's that simple. To give you an example, who paid for the security? Did the RNC get contractors to provide extra security? If so, that takes clearance (federal resources). Or did they use federal agents to provide security? Catching my drift?

The context is Trump and his history of stiffing cities.

U

User.45

Interesting esthetic.
1598625841086.png

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I'll admit I didn't watch it all but the highlights do suggest that Trump was basically saying the last 4 years were a disaster and only he can save us.

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
To give you an example, who paid for the security?

White House security falls under the regular duties, in addition, whenever the President is in a building, the building is under federal jurisdiction, and so is security.
More often than not, security is coordinated with local authorities (a PD of whatever city the POTUS is in), but security is a regular, federal duty in the presence of the POTUS. The USSS makes all the calls. Do you think that when the POTUS goes to a private political fundraiser security is paid by whatever group he's meeting with? Same goes for transportation (well, in this case at least taxpayers saved from the mess that moving AF1 is).

Did the RNC get contractors to provide extra security? If so, that takes clearance (federal resources). Or did they use federal agents to provide security? Catching my drift?

See above. The presence of the President makes it an automatic use of full fledged security provided by the USSS. It's a regular duty they have to maintain 24/7 wherever the POTUS is or is going to be, often with coordination and work several days in advance if the event is planned. When the POTUS moves there are serious logistics and expenses involved that no one can stop, not even the POTUS himself.

The context is Trump and his history of stiffing cities.

Well, if there is any financial impropriety hopefully they will rise up.

U

User.45

Well, if there is any financial impropriety hopefully they will rise up.
My expectation:
These issues will surface soon and will be ignored by the administration like everything.

Alex Azar being the only one wearing a mask is such a fucked up visual with a really confusing message even to me as a healthcare provider. Wear a mask, but ignore social distancing?! The latter is clearly superior. COVID is an issue, but not really?! CDC recommendations are absolutely optional?! US COVID data indicates that the answer should be no to all of these. Does Alex Azar legitimize the protests from a COVID control stand point as long as people wear masks?!

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
[
My expectation:
These issues will surface soon and will be ignored by the administration like everything.
We shall see.

Alex Azar being the only one wearing a mask is such a fucked up visual with a really confusing message even to me as a healthcare provider. Wear a mask, but ignore social distancing?! The latter is clearly superior. COVID is an issue, but not really?! CDC recommendations are absolutely optional?! US COVID data indicates that the answer should be no to all of these. Does Alex Azar legitimize the protests from a COVID control stand point as long as people wear masks?!

I certainly agree with this.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Trump’s speech was so bad he caused Jim Gaffigan to snap. My respect for him just shot way up.

Right? When JG starts dropping F-bombs, the apocalypse is near ...
Telling off a real "Karen" just makes it that much more epic.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Speaking of Gaffigan, hahaha, there's this local ad that runs with a dude that looks like him, I should Tweet it his way ...

IMG_0020_1200.jpeg

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think it's funny that the convention was largely a celebration and endorsement of Trump and his redefining of the party and it's being reported that the approval rating for the convention actually dropped after his rambling speech. :LOL:

U

User.45

I'd say it's a regression to the mean, unless this trend continues, which is unlikely given how nothing phases Trump's voters.
1598638485461.png

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd say it's a regression to the mean, unless this trend continues, which is unlikely given how nothing phases Trump's voters.
View attachment 225

I feel like there was a bunch of people who just supported Trump feeling he was just doing Republican/The Lord’s work and didn’t really pay that much attention beyond that. Didn’t want to get involved in all the drama. Then last night they watched him talk at great length for the first time and there was a collective “Fuck. This what people have been talking about? It really is that bad.”

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
I feel like there was a bunch of people who just supported Trump feeling he was just doing Republican/The Lord’s work and didn’t really pay that much attention beyond that. Didn’t want to get involved in all the drama. Then last night they watched him talk at great length for the first time and there was a collective “Fuck. This what people have been talking about? It really is that bad.”

I highly doubt that polls published today were done less than 24 hours ago.

U

User.45

I highly doubt that polls published today were done less than 24 hours ago.
1598640923182.png

Partially. They cover some of the effects of RNC, but not the entire event and its aftermath.

I haven’t gotten to regression testing yet. That’s in RSM800 which starts on Monday. Man, I can’t wait until January when classes will finally be over and I can just get the dissertation written!
Don't envision much sophistication to this expression. It only means that as long as there is an average that truly exists, numbers that deviate from it return to follow previously established trends.It's a thing in population biology for example. Real regression analysis is more sophisticated. Good luck with your dissertation! By then I'll finish my book chapter too (deadlines mid Sept, lol) .

Top Bottom
1 2