The "Wordle" thread

I could maybe brew my coffee a little stronger before tackling these things.

Wordle 278 5/6

β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›
πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I don't know if anyone really GAF, but sometimes I think it's fun to share the thought process behind a solve - will do it in a spoiler tag for folks who are playing and who haven't done 278 yet :)

Here's my play:

1648140619679.png

I usually start with AUDIO which immediately validates 4 vowels (sometimes RADIO, 3 vowels and adds the R)

When AUDIO is a bust, that means no AIOU, so only E.

The common options would be a *E*E* or a double EE, this time, to determine the position 2,4 vs. 2,3 or 3,4, I used TEETH, though I'm usually hesitant to do a double vowel __and__ double consonant because that's only 3 discrete letters.

In this case, I got the E position at 3, and got T and H out of position. With two Ts, and only one marked OOP and the other invalid, that means only one T. It also determined that there's a pos 3 E and no vowels to either side so a pos 1,2 and 4,5 meaning a 2-consonant pattern - combine this with an H floating around without a T, there's only a couple of digraphs left, i.e., it's very likely a CH combination.

At guess 3 I know (or it's very likely) the word contains:

- An H combined with a C into a CH pattern and not in pos 5
- A CCVCC pattern
- An E at pos 3
- The letter T, not at pos 1, 4
- and per the initial guess, no D (in addition to no AIOU)

That heavily implies a CHE** word that also contains a T:

CHEAT (invalid, contains A)

Then possibly valid based on the assumption:

CHEST

Without the T there's a longer list: CHESS, CHEWY, CHECK

I tend to use the same starter word and the same second-line word and then go from there. Sometimes this strategy pays off and other times it doesn't. So much depends on what letters show up with which one has to work! Getting either the first letter of the word in place immediately or the last letter really helps immensely, and when one gets both in place, that's golden. Even at that I didn't give enough thought to things before entering a word on the third line, which turned out to be wrong. Finally hit it on line four! I need more coffee.....

Wordle 278 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟦⬜
🟧⬜⬜⬜🟧
🟧🟧🟧⬜🟧
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

Last edited:
I tend to use the same starter word and the same second-line word and then go from there. Sometimes this strategy pays off and other times it doesn't. So much depends on what letters show up with which one has to work! Getting either the first letter of the word in place immediately or the last letter really helps immensely, and when one gets both in place, that's golden. Even at that I didn't give enough thought to things before entering a word on the third line, which turned out to be wrong. Finally hit it on line four! I need more coffee.....

Wordle 278 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟦⬜
🟧⬜⬜⬜🟧
🟧🟧🟧⬜🟧
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

That's an interesting approach... my guesses are more strictly migratory, i.e. for the first go just picking some word that has a few different vowels in it, saving any "right but not in the right place" and "right and in the right place" letters, then using those as mandatory in the subsequent guess and so arriving each time at some word that at least uses what I already have some grip on. But I think my way can end up taking longer, not sure. You're right that your way might provide a net of more clues to the actual word a little sooner, I think. "Depending...."

The first word is one which contains mostly vowels and the second word picks up the one vowel that isn't in the first word, and is mostly consonants. Sometimes I still have to add another word if there aren't enough letters with which to work.... When I've got at least three letters with which to play that's when I start arranging and rearranging in my head and sometimes on a piece of paper, checking out various possibilities before actually putting them into the puzzle.

I have made it a rule, too, that no attempting to do Wordle until I've had at least half a cup of coffee to wake my brain cells up! A full cup is better but sometimes I'm just to eager to get in there and play....

Cleaned history, cookies and other site data. 30 seconds later I thought β€œhmm, maybe I should have saved the Wordle stats”… πŸ˜‚

Last edited:
The first word is one which contains mostly vowels and the second word picks up the one vowel that isn't in the first word, and is mostly consonants. Sometimes I still have to add another word if there aren't enough letters with which to work.... When I've got at least three letters with which to play that's when I start arranging and rearranging in my head and sometimes on a piece of paper, checking out various possibilities before actually putting them into the puzzle.

I have made it a rule, too, that no attempting to do Wordle until I've had at least half a cup of coffee to wake my brain cells up! A full cup is better but sometimes I'm just to eager to get in there and play....
I do mine with the first cup… it needs to be solved before it is cold undrinkable. πŸ™‚

That's an interesting approach... my guesses are more strictly migratory, i.e. for the first go just picking some word that has a few different vowels in it, saving any "right but not in the right place" and "right and in the right place" letters, then using those as mandatory in the subsequent guess and so arriving each time at some word that at least uses what I already have some grip on. But I think my way can end up taking longer, not sure. You're right that your way might provide a net of more clues to the actual word a little sooner, I think. "Depending...."
That is pretty much my method as well. πŸ‘

Oh and pen and paper.
I have not once been able to complete a game without use of pen/pencil and some paper. I think better when my fingers are kind of grasping for the solution…
As much as computers have enhanced my life, I always prefer to write and draw by hand β€” especially when problem solving.
Otherwise I just sit there dully taking random stabs in the dark.

Decided to switch to the "hard" method and I think I'm going to like that much more -- certainly got positive results pretty quickly!

Wordle 279 3/6*

⬜🟦⬜🟦⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟦⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

Oh and pen and paper.
I have not once been able to complete a game without use of pen/pencil and some paper. I think better when my fingers are kind of grasping for the solution…
As much as computers have enhanced my life, I always prefer to write and draw by hand β€” especially when problem solving.
Otherwise I just sit there dully taking random stabs in the dark.

Since you have to submit your guess, I use the board as a sort of "scratch pad", which I guess is my analog for pencil+paper :)

I also like it gives me a visual cue as to what letter are in use, what have been blacklisted.

I messed up today and forgot to include a "right letter wrong spot" hit from my 1st go, so it cost me a level. Duh...

Wordle 279 4/6

β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I do sometimes use an open text doc for a scratchpad, and substitute __ for blank spots in successive rounds.

Back