Thread: iPhone 15 / Apple Watch 9 Event

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
It is entertaining! Especially the discussion about Apple selling new iPhone cables.
Eoof … no … not going … there’s a cap on how much aggravation I can endure
Lol. Also helps if you haven’t been banned.
For myself, more of a self-ban. While I wouldn’t describe these forums as an echo chamber, the quietude in comparison to MR is appreciated by my blood pressure. Keeping track of the Ukraine war on Twitter and wading through the trolls there really puts people being querulous over technology and gadgets in perspective and does enough damage to my calm by itself.

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
I think it’s important to remember that those disappointed are that way because they are concerned there has been little improvements in the architecture for a few generations now, rather than the improvements in scores. It’s very possible they are wrong, or missing some nuance, but that does seem to be the general view: process shrink/clock increases.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
I think it’s important to remember that those disappointed are that way because they are concerned there has been little improvements in the architecture for a few generations now, rather than the improvements in scores. It’s very possible they are wrong, or missing some nuance, but that does seem to be the general view: process shrink/clock increases.
Absolutely and I don’t think those concerns are unfounded at all. But I remember even when Apple introduced the M1 a lot of people wondered, where do you go from here in terms of single core performance? It’s already so wide … I also remember an AMD engineer discussing “performance” with Anandtech or another such publication mentioning that while IPC is the sexy headline, in the end it’s not everything that matters. Which is why I’m more interested in perf/W. IPC gives you a good idea of where that might be, but isn’t the whole story.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
I understand, but so far Apple has steadily managed to increase single core performance year over year, without a single failed year. Ultimately it does not matter if it's because of node shrinks or architectural redesigns. Maybe Apple sets a target performance / efficiency goal every year and, once it's met, improvement efforts go elsewhere (next year's chip, or the GPU, for example). IF next year they don't achieve the usual performance improvement, we can start to worrying. But this same discussion, almost word for word, happens every year!

Still, I do think we're still missing something about the A17 Pro. Apple mentioned wider architecture and decoding, and yet the improvements seem to be mainly due to clock increases. Isn't that weird?

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
I understand, but so far Apple has steadily managed to increase single core performance year over year, without a single failed year. Ultimately it does not matter if it's because of node shrinks or architectural redesigns. Maybe Apple sets a target performance / efficiency goal every year and, once it's met, improvement efforts go elsewhere (next year's chip, or the GPU, for example). IF next year they don't achieve the usual performance improvement, we can start to worrying. But this same discussion, almost word for word, happens every year!

Still, I do think we're still missing something about the A17 Pro. Apple mentioned wider architecture and decoding, and yet the improvements seem to be mainly due to clock increases. Isn't that weird?
Agreed

Absolutely and I don’t think those concerns are unfounded at all. But I remember even when Apple introduced the M1 a lot of people wondered, where do you go from here in terms of single core performance? It’s already so wide … I also remember an AMD engineer discussing “performance” with Anandtech or another such publication mentioning that while IPC is the sexy headline, in the end it’s not everything that matters. Which is why I’m more interested in perf/W. IPC gives you a good idea of where that might be, but isn’t the whole story.

We do know that with wider architectures you eventually hit diminishing returns. I don’t know if this is a symptom of that or if there’s nuance left to be found.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
- The f number is the same, let's say f/2.8 => Then, the two lenses have different aperture diameters. The lens for the large sensor has an aperture diameter of D = f / N = 35 / 2.8 = 12.5 mm, while the lens for the smaller sensor has an aperture diameter of D' = 17 / 2.8 = 6.07mm. The lens for the smaller sensor has a smaller aperture diameter, because it needs to collect less light for the same field of view, as the image circle is smaller, and the f number keeps the amount of light per unit area the same, in a smaller image circle.
How dare you use so much…MATH! I’ve a mind to give you a short ban for that. Maybe fx-32+1/4.2 hours. Or something. I dunno. I don’t do math.
There was a time when it was midnight, and it didn’t actually work sometimes until later.
I can remember setting my alarm for 1:58 a.m. Guaranteed to really piss off my Android-loving husband.

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
Nice work! Btw, this clearly shows what M. Handley wrote on MR earlier - the performance improvements are additive, not multiplicative. The gain from A16 to A17 is the same as from A13 to A14. So cancel that doom&gloom, people :)

Edit: may I post this chart over on MR?
…but the gains from the A12 to the A13, or A11 to A12. Wow. That’s the difference. After A13 everything slowed down comparatively. I suppose that’s to be expected.

leman

Site Champ
Reaction score
IF next year they don't achieve the usual performance improvement, we can start to worrying. But this same discussion, almost word for word, happens every year!

Next time I hope we will remember that CPU performance improvements grow additively instead of multiplicatively (which makes much more sense anyway). We are just so used to exponential growth in the GPU land because one constantly increases the number of cores (the performance of individual cores doesn't change much, because it can't anyway)

Some of the GB subtests show quite substantial improvements, especially more branchy ones or some that rely on a lot of computation. Once can certainly see an increase in IPC, it will just vary across workloads.

…but the gains from the A12 to the A13, or A11 to A12. Wow. That’s the difference. After A13 everything slowed down comparatively. I suppose that’s to be expected.

Did it though? A12 to A13 is ~400 points GB6, A16 to A17 is 380 points. Doesn't look like stuff has changed much.

In fact, A16 to A17 seems to be a bigger improvement than i9 11900K (Rocket Lake) to i9 12900KS (Alder Lake) with 360 points — and that was considered the best generation-to-generation jump in single-core performance since the Core 2 Duo. I think Apple is doing just fine.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
How dare you use so much…MATH! I’ve a mind to give you a short ban for that. Maybe fx-32+1/4.2 hours. Or something. I dunno. I don’t do math.
Me, whenever these guys start talking specs and math.

excuse-me-pvec6r.jpg

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
Next time I hope we will remember that CPU performance improvements grow additively instead of multiplicatively (which makes much more sense anyway). We are just so used to exponential growth in the GPU land because one constantly increases the number of cores (the performance of individual cores doesn't change much, because it can't anyway)

Some of the GB subtests show quite substantial improvements, especially more branchy ones or some that rely on a lot of computation. Once can certainly see an increase in IPC, it will just vary across workloads.

Did it though? A12 to A13 is ~400 points GB6, A16 to A17 is 380 points. Doesn't look like stuff has changed much.

In fact, A16 to A17 seems to be a bigger improvement than i9 11900K (Rocket Lake) to i9 12900KS (Alder Lake) with 360 points — and that was considered the best generation-to-generation jump in single-core performance since the Core 2 Duo. I think Apple is doing just fine.
Ahh I probably miscounted!

Top Bottom
1 2