Waiting for and/or enjoying my M1 Pro/Max MBP thread…

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eh, I just like to turn computers off. It seems to cause a "reset" and solve certain problems that occur in the course of using one. I turn my computers off at the end of the day--always have.

It’s not a terrible idea. MacOS is not as reliable as it was back in the Leopard days. But I only ever “power off” when necessary (due to, e.g., bugs that won’t go away without a reset).

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
I think what you were looking for there was "because of".

Not sure what because of would mean there. MR has an interesting mix of folks who do things for reasons beyond me, if that makes sense.
I do however agree that my general uptime for my Macs has reduced in the last years as the occasional restart seems to smooth out things at times.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I do however agree that my general uptime for my Macs has reduced in the last years as the occasional restart seems to smooth out things at times.

Given that I'm on the cusp of buying into the Mac scene for the first time, I'd like to hear more about this. I always worked under the impression that MacOS had fairly decent memory management, and could clear up problematic bits and bobs lingering about without any issue.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Given that I'm on the cusp of buying into the Mac scene for the first time, I'd like to hear more about this. I always been under the impression that MacOS had fairly decent memory management, and could clear up problematic bits and bobs lingering about without any issue.
It’s certainly better than windows, but weird things sometimes happen. One that gets me from time to time : preview.app stops letting me search for text in pdf files. Only a reboot resolves.

sgtaylor5

Power User
Reaction score
MacOS has been fairly reliable for me, but Windows on the other hand... I have a story:

I used to work at a 24 hour airport off-site parking facility. The assistant manager at the time was a wizard with Excel and he made a very complicated spreadsheet that the cashiers would type their tickets into before the end of each shift. Lots of error correction and data wrangling for the information that the managers needed. The facility never slept (even 9/11 didn't close the place; maybe a direct nuclear strike would have shut it down, but I don't think so... ) and neither did the computer. It wasn't ever rebooted, either. It got to the point that about three times a week, Excel would burp and your entire shift of tickets would vanish. That was a panic-inducing situation, as you had to have everything finished and correct at the end of your shift. Of course, few ever saved their work during their shift; they were too busy.

Late in my tenure there as the unofficial tech on site, I finally solved the situation by running a backup every Sunday morning at 3 am, the least busy time of the week.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I'm surprised to hear people still regularly turn their computers off these days.
I turn my desktop computer (now Mini) off because that lets me switch off the desk power strip. Maybe the power savings are negligible, who knows, the really important thing is that all the fracking LEDs are off!

My MacBook Pro on the other hand can go months without a reboot or power off.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
Given that I'm on the cusp of buying into the Mac scene for the first time, I'd like to hear more about this. I always worked under the impression that MacOS had fairly decent memory management, and could clear up problematic bits and bobs lingering about without any issue.

Pretty similar experience to Cmaier above. Can’t give you exact specifics but I’m also forced to use a rather under-specced 8GB RAM MacBook Pro that’s a few years old already and don’t think that the business is gonna invest much in my case.

Renzatic

Reaction score
Pretty similar experience to Cmaier above. Can’t give you exact specifics but I’m also forced to use a rather under-specced 8GB RAM MacBook Pro that’s a few years old already and don’t think that the business is gonna invest much in my case.

From what Cmaier stated, it sounds more like random issues with various apps, rather than the OS itself. It's no less annoying, but slightly less scary.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
From what Cmaier stated, it sounds more like random issues with various apps, rather than the OS itself. It's no less annoying, but slightly less scary.
Yep. It’s very rare that the OS has issues that require a reboot. Last time it happened to me was a few months back where it suddenly decided it couldn’t connect to any networks.

Almost every other “os” issue I’ve had is easily resolved by restarting Finder, which is easily done from a menu.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score

For sure, the system itself is pretty stable and the ability to just relaunch Finder is nice too.

Agent47

Power User
Reaction score
Btw … over at TOP I called out the chess troll the other day. Guess what, they banned me for insulting the guy… the guy otoh went unharmed even though he insulted pretty much the whole forum in at least one statement. What‘s wrong with the mods over there? 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

Renzatic

Reaction score
Btw … over at TOP I called out tge chess troll. Guess what, they banned me for insulting the guy… the guy otoh went unharmed even though he ibsilted the whole forum. What‘s wrng with me mods over there? 🤣🤣🤣

They dum.

Top Bottom
1 2