Waiting for and/or enjoying my M1 Pro/Max MBP thread…

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I have to admit I was stunned over just how fast this thing is. It is an iMac with 16GB Ram, which I would have upgraded to 32 had it been an option, but turns out, it really isn't necessary.

Maybe they will make one with a bigger monitor as I have gotten accustomed to my 27". Really nice machine and since I moved over to QB Online and have a Surface, I really don't have a need for the x86 chip anymore.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have to admit I was stunned over just how fast this thing is. It is an iMac with 16GB Ram, which I would have upgraded to 32 had it been an option, but turns out, it really isn't necessary.

Maybe they will make one with a bigger monitor as I have gotten accustomed to my 27". Really nice machine and since I moved over to QB Online and have a Surface, I really don't have a need for the x86 chip anymore.

Yeah, the 27” is coming this year. Conflicting rumors as to whether it is a “pro” unit with MiniLED (and cheese grater aesthetic), or a bigger version of the new imac (in pastel colors). Also not clear if it will have the existing range of CPUs or have an option for something beefier (like a 2x or 4x Max). Most recent rumor is the “colorful, no miniLED” rumor, but it doesn’t talk about CPU.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I just saw a thread on how the maximum display brightness was limited to HDR content, and it seemed a lot like nit-picking.

Yeah, that’s a bit of a topic over there. The limitation is not a secret, but people always want what Apple doesn’t give them. Not clear whether it’s a technical limitation (e.g. HDR only needs to light up *some* of the screen to peak brightness, and lighting it all up would cause too much heat or sink too much current), or just Apple making a design decision (high full screen brightness can be unpleasant, depending on circumstances, and can cause color calibration discrepancies, or can cause worse halo effects).

Would be interesting to know whether there is a software hack to turn up the brightness (which is the OP’s question), but I doubt it would be very useful for most people. The screens on these things are pretty bright, and I could only see needing more brightness if I was outside.

leman

Site Champ
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s a bit of a topic over there. The limitation is not a secret, but people always want what Apple doesn’t give them. Not clear whether it’s a technical limitation (e.g. HDR only needs to light up *some* of the screen to peak brightness, and lighting it all up would cause too much heat or sink too much current), or just Apple making a design decision (high full screen brightness can be unpleasant, depending on circumstances, and can cause color calibration discrepancies, or can cause worse halo effects).

Apple is pushing towards extended contrast range on all its devices and you can’t have that without some brightness reserves. That’s probably the main reason. Then, there are power consumption concerns.

With 500nits normal max brightness Apple is still way above the industry average for premium/workstation laptops, so I don’t see any problem. Of course, some people will want fully customizable experience, but it’s not what this product has been designed for, and that’s perfectly fine.

U

User.45

Apple is pushing towards extended contrast range on all its devices and you can’t have that without some brightness reserves. That’s probably the main reason. Then, there are power consumption concerns.

With 500nits normal max brightness Apple is still way above the industry average for premium/workstation laptops, so I don’t see any problem. Of course, some people will want fully customizable experience, but it’s not what this product has been designed for, and that’s perfectly fine.
Yes, more contrast means less visual discomfort, and it seems that about 400 nits, the discomfort starts rising quickly in OLED realm.

Tedious paper on the topic

tomO2013

Power User
Reaction score
It’s funny with all the hoopla, nitpicking that I read about over at the other place about the M1 silicon itself, how fast it can run randomly chosen chess benchmarks compared to a 700W desktop workstation, folks often forget about what a generally great all around package the MBP’s 2021’s are. Especially so when it comes to screen quality compared to practically any other laptop on the market!

On a side note, while I generally really like to have more , bigger, better and faster processing performance (the raw performance of new M1 was very enticing), it was truly the new screen that pushed me in the general direction to make such an expensive purchase.

Right now, I’m happy to wait a second or two for something to compile, if the machine is quiet and cool while it does so - I’ll do some back stretches while waiting or put on the kettle for a cup of tea.
But looking for hours at lines of text daily, or editing photos and videos - well my eyes immediately benefit from the new display. The new displays really have made the new MBP’s (for me anyway), a much more enjoyable workstation experience!

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
But looking for hours at lines of text daily, or editing photos and videos - well my eyes immediately benefit from the new display. The new displays really have made the new MBP’s (for me anyway), a much more enjoyable workstation experience!

Yup, having been doing some small side project work over the holiday break on the 16” MBP, this has made me miss my 5K iMac. The 38” ultra-wide monitor is nice, and better for sharing with a gaming PC, but a 6K 32” display that didn’t cost an arm and a leg would be very tempting.

U

User.45

It’s funny with all the hoopla, nitpicking that I read about over at the other place about the M1 silicon itself, how fast it can run randomly chosen chess benchmarks compared to a 700W desktop workstation, folks often forget about what a generally great all around package the MBP’s 2021’s are. Especially so when it comes to screen quality compared to practically any other laptop on the market!

On a side note, while I generally really like to have more , bigger, better and faster processing performance (the raw performance of new M1 was very enticing), it was truly the new screen that pushed me in the general direction to make such an expensive purchase.

Right now, I’m happy to wait a second or two for something to compile, if the machine is quiet and cool while it does so - I’ll do some back stretches while waiting or put on the kettle for a cup of tea.
Hit the nail on the head. The overall experience makes these machines exceptional.

That said, one of the weird things with Monterey is battery reserve mode. I’ve been finding the machine really slow for weeks now, and then i just realized, i had this mode activated about a month ago because i got frustrated about the machine dying on my while idling. I totally forgot about this. The fact that you can’t switch this on/off from the control center and that there is no indication of this mode being activated (not that I could find) is a form of Apple’s soft approach to planned obsolescence.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Hit the nail on the head. The overall experience makes these machines exceptional.

That said, one of the weird things with Monterey is battery reserve mode. I’ve been finding the machine really slow for weeks now, and then i just realized, i had this mode activated about a month ago because i got frustrated about the machine dying on my while idling. I totally forgot about this. The fact that you can’t switch this on/off from the control center and that there is no indication of this mode being activated (not that I could find) is a form of Apple’s soft approach to planned obsolescence.
If you click on the battery icon in the menu bar, it will tell you if you’re in low power mode.

I assume there’s always a utility for that when it comes to the Mac... and I was right. This one shows you in the menu bar without you having to click, and lets you toggle it there.

Cheers!

U

User.45

If you click on the battery icon in the menu bar, it will tell you if you’re in low power mode.

I assume there’s always a utility for that when it comes to the Mac... and I was right. This one shows you in the menu bar without you having to click, and lets you toggle it there.

Cheers!
Thanks this explains. I use iStat For battery, since macOS removed remaining battery time indicators.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
ibm-monitor-fixed.jpg
makes me nostalgic

(not really)

U

User.45

Cheers!
TIL:
sudo pmset -a lowpowermode 1 # to turn it on
sudo pmset -a lowpowermode 0 # to turn it off

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Any new murmurings about a Mini with an M1Pro / M1Max? I've hit up the usual sources, but the rumors have changed much.

I'm actually a touch surprised they didn't one out with the 14/16" MBPs, or even mention anything about it. Maybe the new product is evolving so substantially, it's a much longer development cycle.

*crosses fingers for Mini Pro*

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Any new murmurings about a Mini with an M1Pro / M1Max? I've hit up the usual sources, but the rumors have changed much.

I'm actually a touch surprised they didn't one out with the 14/16" MBPs, or even mention anything about it. Maybe the new product is evolving so substantially, it's a much longer development cycle.

Not heard anything new either.

Maybe they are planning something really sweet. Maybe they just didn’t have enough chips and prioritized the MBPs.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score

If you weren't a robot, I'd suggest holding your breath waiting for the "mini pro". As it is...

If it were a lower cost, upgradeable system, I'd be sorely tempted, but I've been waiting so long I've added it to my list of non-beliefs: Mini Pro, dragons, Loch Ness monster, wishes, etc.

Joelist

Power User
Reaction score
I'm sure we'll get an Mi Pro Mini at least. They already have a chassis with enough cooling after all.

B01L

SlackMaster
Reaction score
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe...
If there were no plans for a mid/high-end Mac mini, the "current" (2018) Intel-based (8th Gen Coffee Lake) Mac mini would have been discontinued when the M1 Mac mini was released...

I am of a mind that Apple will break the Mac mini lineup into at least two main products; a smaller Mac mini for the Mn-series SoCs, and the existing chassis for the Mn Pro/Max-series SoCs...

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
If there were no plans for a mid/high-end Mac mini, the "current" (2018) Intel-based (8th Gen Coffee Lake) Mac mini would have been discontinued when the M1 Mac mini was released...

I am of a mind that Apple will break the Mac mini lineup into at least two main products; a smaller Mac mini for the Mn-series SoCs, and the existing chassis for the Mn Pro/Max-series SoCs...

Possibly. It’s also possible that we’ll see the Mac Mini switch to a new chassis across the board when it gets the higher end SoCs.

The original M1 Mini was the only desktop you could get with Apple Silicon for around half a year. I wound up with one as a test/dev platform for Apple Silicon because it was the cheapest way to get hardware for that purpose. I wouldn’t be too surprised if it turns out the current M1 Mini was a stopgap of sorts, so that there was something in this space while the longer term work was ongoing. I do hope they keep the baseline model for folks that just want a small NUC-like desktop, as the M1 Mini has been really good for that.

Top Bottom
1 2