Waiting for and/or enjoying my M1 Pro/Max MBP thread…

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
My new M1 MacBook Pro tells me that's a slappable face, but also Baking Pipe Face. What do you consider a baking pipe face?

Now that i am thinking about it, i did say someone had a punchable face on here once, didn’t I?

Joelist

Power User
Reaction score
The SSDs are in the 7GB /sec performance speed level and the extremely high memory bandwidth amps it up even more.
The mouse pad is best of breed As is usual for Apple. Speakers are awesome and the display is something to be experienced.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
For me, x86 was a dark time for Apple. I bought a G5 tower about ten years ago, when my Cube's power supply died, but have rather studiously avoided the Intel Macs, opting instead for using an iPad most of the time. I expect to get a Mini with the next iteration.

Years ago, I looked at CPU architecture and wondered whether it had a real impact on the overlying design of the system. 68K seemed to me better than 8086 for a low-level programmer, at least way back then, so it seemed like the things I liked about Mac floated up from the more friendly metal beneath. Thus, I have a good feeling about where Apple will be going with their hardware and software in the future. I mean, as long as they do not go all lockdown on us.

LIVEFRMNYC

Power User
Reaction score
I feel sorta tempted to get a 16" because I think the screen could really be helpful for work. A few questions came up recently:

1. I'm wondering how the lowest light setting compares to the old MBP/MBAs? I've been historically having to cut the extra light emission using Flux when I use the machine in the bedroom.

2. How fast is the SSD on these machines? I had a difficult time finding benchmarks on this.

3. Any opinion about the speakers? All I need them for is to play some Miles Davis in my office without distortio when I feel like it. My MBA can't do that really... These web reviews sometimes have these ridiculous expectations for small form speakers to defy physics.

4. Any concerns re the touch pad. Some claimed the touch pads were different compared to the 2020 series?!

16' Max/ 2TB. Just received in couple days ago.

I get an average Write 7200mb and Read 5500mb. Using BlackMagic Disk Test. Most likely 4TB and 8TB have faster speeds.

The speakers are the best I've ever heard on a laptop. I haven't noticed any distortion yet, even at max volume. I hope this sets the standard for other manufacturers.

The TouchPad feels exactly the same as my last MBP which was a 2018 15'

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
For me, x86 was a dark time for Apple.

Perhaps. But it brought a lot of new users into the fold. I would have never bought a Mac had I not been able to run Windows on it. Now that was 10+ years ago and things have changed for sure. But back then I had to have Windows so without a way to run it on a Mac, I would still probably be a Windows user.

And new users increase demand which strengthens the line.

Joelist

Power User
Reaction score
Perhaps. But it brought a lot of new users into the fold. I would have never bought a Mac had I not been able to run Windows on it. Now that was 10+ years ago and things have changed for sure. But back then I had to have Windows so without a way to run it on a Mac, I would still probably be a Windows user.

Interestingly, Apple Silicon is bringing in a lot of new Mac users too. Mac Sales have gone WAY up since M1 and its brethren became available. Mac is expected by some sources to be at double its pre M1 market share and to increase yet again in 2022.

U

User.45

Interestingly, Apple Silicon is bringing in a lot of new Mac users too. Mac Sales have gone WAY up since M1 and its brethren became available. Mac is expected by some sources to be at double its pre M1 market share and to increase yet again in 2022.
And it finally deserves so. My remaining major concern re M1 is the partial compatibility with research software.

I'm wondering though. @Cmaier specifically said what I've been experiencing too: the reliability of MacOS had gotten much worse over the past 10 years. Catalina was a clusterf and I'm still having software related reliability issues on a daily basis.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

For me it was UNIX. My roommate in college had a next cube, which i lusted over. And I had spent about a decade on various Unix boxes (RS-6000’s and Suns (and once in awhile an SGI box)at RPI, then NetBSD on x86 at Exponential, Solaris on SPARC at Sun, and Sun and AMD boxes at AMD), so the idea of having a real tcsh, plus a NeXT-like veneer (I was not a huge fan of the common unix guis), sounded awesome. Being able to run parallels or bootcamp was worth bonus points, though I stopped doing that about 6 months in.

What’s funny is that despite having a very unusual Mac at home before that, it sat in my garage unused because I couldn’t stand the classic Mac OS.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
And it finally deserves so. My remaining major concern re M1 is the partial compatibility with research software.

I'm wondering though. @Cmaier specifically said what I've been experiencing too: the reliability of MacOS had gotten much worse over the past 10 years. Catalina was a clusterf and I'm still having software related reliability issues on a daily basis.

Still more stable then windows (which i still have to use sometimes at work), at least. *Most* of the problems I have with recent MacOS releases are related to “special” functions (like airdrop, etc.) that didn’t exist in the Leopard days. However, preview.app constantly goes nuts, and finder does act up more than it used to (though a lot of those problems seem to have gone away now that none of my machines are still on Catalina).

U

User.45

Still more stable then windows (which i still have to use sometimes at work), at least.
Zero doubt about that.
*Most* of the problems I have with recent MacOS releases are related to “special” functions (like airdrop, etc.) that didn’t exist in the Leopard days. However, preview.app constantly goes nuts, and finder does act up more than it used to (though a lot of those problems seem to have gone away now that none of my machines are still on Catalina).
I'm having these exact issues. I always have about 4-5 PDFs open in preview and the current preview has been the most unstable ever.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
the reliability of MacOS had gotten much worse over the past 10 years
What we can hope for is that the closer unification of macOS with iOS/iPadOS under one architecture will help Apple refine the whole instead of having to deal with both x86 and ARM at the same time. No guarantees, obviously, but having tailored hardware to support the system(s) should make everything work better. We can hope.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Zero doubt about that.

I'm having these exact issues. I always have about 4-5 PDFs open in preview and the current preview has been the most unstable ever.
To be fair, though, I have had issues with preview for years - at one point I got a call from Apple asking for test cases, but because of confidentiality I couldn’t give them any. Typical problems have been things like search stops working, sidebar starts being blank, etc. I have a subscription to acrobat pro which I fall back on (I need it for redactions and OCR anyway), but it would be nice if preview didn’t get screwed up all the time.

Agent47

Power User
Reaction score
Wir haben Ihren Computer und wir spielen gern mit er. Sie können ihn haben nur wann wir sagen Sie ihn haben können.
Ich habe ihn den Ossis entrissen. Heute gibts Schnitzel!

Btw, yesterday those OpenSTEP based Linix distros/DEs (Etoile, Nextspace, GNUstep) were feytured in Flipboard/HackerNews. Anyone an idea what‘s up with this?

I loke those projects a lot, too bad they are all pretty much abandoned

Last edited:

B01L

SlackMaster
Reaction score
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe...
I expect to get a Mini with the next iteration.

Same here, awaiting a M1 Max-powered Mac mini ( 32-core GPU / 64GB RAM / 1TB SSD / 10 Gb Ethernet )...

...and once in awhile an SGI box...

I see the new Apple silicon Macs as a modern version of the old SGI O2 workstations...?

What’s funny is that despite having a very unusual Mac at home before that, it sat in my garage unused because I couldn’t stand the classic Mac OS.

A very unusual Mac...? You hiding a Daystar Digital Skylab in your garage...?!? ;^p

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Same here, awaiting a M1 Max-powered Mac mini ( 32-core GPU / 64GB RAM / 1TB SSD / 10 Gb Ethernet )...

I see the new Apple silicon Macs as a modern version of the old SGI O2 workstations...?

A very unusual Mac...? You hiding a Daystar Digital Skylab in your garage...?!? ;^p

No. In a sense even more unusual.

Top Bottom
1 2