Weather

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
I do not think I could live out there. I don't mind a rainy day now and then but grey not my favorite outlook.

Yeah, we don’t get as much rain as the jokes suggest, living in the rain shadow of the peninsula. Summers are clear and dry. We just pay for it with a wet winter season, and plenty of overcast in the darker months as well. I kinda like it this way, but I think it also means we don’t get many thunderstorms, which I kinda enjoy when they do happen.

Having grown up here, I’ve gotten used to it. Mostly the overcast means not having to worry to much about the sun cooking you too much while hiking or biking. Some of my favorite hiking is just outside the usual season, where we can dodge the sun a little and do it when the temps are in the 60s.

But yeah, I can absolutely get that it’s not for everyone.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Having grown up here, I’ve gotten used to it. Mostly the overcast means not having to worry to much about the sun cooking you too much while hiking or biking. Some of my favorite hiking is just outside the usual season, where we can dodge the sun a little and do it when the temps are in the 60s.

But yeah, I can absolutely get that it’s not for everyone.

The limits of my travel to the PNW was 2 days in Seattle in August before an Alaskan cruise in 2009.

With all the rain, how is the humidity? We are headed to AZ to get away from it.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
The limits of my travel to the PNW was 2 days in Seattle in August before an Alaskan cruise in 2009.

With all the rain, how is the humidity? We are headed to AZ to get away from it.
How was that cruise? We have been considering taking one to Alaska as well departing from San Francisco.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
How was that cruise? We have been considering taking one to Alaska as well departing from San Francisco.

I started cruising when I was around 10 with my parents and that continued on with my wife and daughter. I have been on probably 40+ cruises in my lifetime. Always the Caribbean. I like to dive and cruises are the best way to experience multiple places.

So when the wife and daughter started in on wanting to go to Alaska, I was not in favor. I couldn't dive. But they convinced me to go. We did a round-trip Seattle on Princess (can't remember the exact ship but I think it was the Star Princess). We stopped at Ketchican, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria and sailed up to the Tracy Arm glacier. Again, I didn't want to go. I insisted on the RT because I didn't want to get stuck on a bus for hours traveling to and from the port.

But it was the best cruise ever.

There is just so many awesome things to do and see. In Ketchican, I went salmon fishing with the couple we went with and my daughter who had learned about totem poles want to go see Totem Bight state park. She had a great time doing that. On the fishing charter, the three of us caught so much fish it was unreal. And the best part was they sent it to a local packing company who froze it and shipped it to our house. I ended up with something like 38 lbs of salmon. Plus they sent one fish to the ship and the chef prepared it for our table.

In Juneau, we did the whale watching experience which was incredible. It was 2009 and most people had migrated to digital cameras, but if you remember the point and shoot cameras had a pause before they took the picture. So most of the boat was missing getting the pic when a tail would come up or the blowhole would breach. I had my cheap Canon Rebel, but it took immediate pics so I got most of the things I wanted. Then we took the Tramway up to the top and ate dinner up there.

Sailing up to the Tracy Arm glacier was an experience. You are in a narrow passage with steep rocky mountains on both sides. And you look up and there are large sheep standing on these steep slopes and you wonder how. We didn't get to see the glacier calve, but it was cool to see anyway.

In Skagway, the girls wanted to blow glass, so I stayed on the ship that morning. They still have the baubles they blew. Then all 3 of us went and panned for gold. You get a bucket full of sand and you pan just like the old days. They put the flakes in a little bottle and make it into a necklace. My daughter still has it. We did not do the train. The couple with us did and said it was nice, but way too long.

Victoria was fine, but we weren't there long enough to really do much and since we docked in Seattle the next day, we had to get packed up.

As for the ship, cruising had already started to get more casual. I remember the early days it was coat & tie most nights. But that faded to more resort casual. On the Alaska ships, think more ski lodge. Nice jeans and sweaters. Because, we it is Alaska and going out on deck was cold. My daughter and I watched one of the movies under the stars and it was cold.

But the best thing about the entire trip was no matter where you looked, your breath would get taken away. The scenery was spectacular. And it was everywhere. And eagles. They were like pigeons in a city or seagulls at the beach.

Sorry to ramble, but it was the best cruise we have ever taken. Looking forward to our next one for sure.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I started cruising when I was around 10 with my parents and that continued on with my wife and daughter. I have been on probably 40+ cruises in my lifetime. Always the Caribbean. I like to dive and cruises are the best way to experience multiple places.

So when the wife and daughter started in on wanting to go to Alaska, I was not in favor. I couldn't dive. But they convinced me to go. We did a round-trip Seattle on Princess (can't remember the exact ship but I think it was the Star Princess). We stopped at Ketchican, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria and sailed up to the Tracy Arm glacier. Again, I didn't want to go. I insisted on the RT because I didn't want to get stuck on a bus for hours traveling to and from the port.

But it was the best cruise ever.

There is just so many awesome things to do and see. In Ketchican, I went salmon fishing with the couple we went with and my daughter who had learned about totem poles want to go see Totem Bight state park. She had a great time doing that. On the fishing charter, the three of us caught so much fish it was unreal. And the best part was they sent it to a local packing company who froze it and shipped it to our house. I ended up with something like 38 lbs of salmon. Plus they sent one fish to the ship and the chef prepared it for our table.

In Juneau, we did the whale watching experience which was incredible. It was 2009 and most people had migrated to digital cameras, but if you remember the point and shoot cameras had a pause before they took the picture. So most of the boat was missing getting the pic when a tail would come up or the blowhole would breach. I had my cheap Canon Rebel, but it took immediate pics so I got most of the things I wanted. Then we took the Tramway up to the top and ate dinner up there.

Sailing up to the Tracy Arm glacier was an experience. You are in a narrow passage with steep rocky mountains on both sides. And you look up and there are large sheep standing on these steep slopes and you wonder how. We didn't get to see the glacier calve, but it was cool to see anyway.

In Skagway, the girls wanted to blow glass, so I stayed on the ship that morning. They still have the baubles they blew. Then all 3 of us went and panned for gold. You get a bucket full of sand and you pan just like the old days. They put the flakes in a little bottle and make it into a necklace. My daughter still has it. We did not do the train. The couple with us did and said it was nice, but way too long.

Victoria was fine, but we weren't there long enough to really do much and since we docked in Seattle the next day, we had to get packed up.

As for the ship, cruising had already started to get more casual. I remember the early days it was coat & tie most nights. But that faded to more resort casual. On the Alaska ships, think more ski lodge. Nice jeans and sweaters. Because, we it is Alaska and going out on deck was cold. My daughter and I watched one of the movies under the stars and it was cold.

But the best thing about the entire trip was no matter where you looked, your breath would get taken away. The scenery was spectacular. And it was everywhere. And eagles. They were like pigeons in a city or seagulls at the beach.

Sorry to ramble, but it was the best cruise we have ever taken. Looking forward to our next one for sure.
Wow, this great information! We have never been on a cruise but now that we're retired we're gearing up for it as soon as our dogs move on, they're really old so we're giving the best care they'll get until the end then we'll have more freedom to be gone for longer periods of time.

I'm not a fan of flying which is why we're looking for cruises out of SF but there is no shortage from here, we can do Hawaii, Alaska and tons of others in between. A friend's wife who works for a travel agency recommends a small one at first so if it turns out you hate it you won't be trapped lol.

My wife really wants to do the Hawaii cruise which is 15 days and I'm guessing on a cruise that's a pretty long time even though these ships seem to offer so much onboard. I'm really looking forward to giving it all a try.

Last edited:

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score

As I said, Seattle’s in a rain shadow, which means the Olympics are blocking rain from reaching us. Because of that, most of the the eastern US gets more rain than Seattle. Hell, everything between Seattle and the Bay Area along the I-5 corridor gets more rain than Seattle. Houston even gets more. What we do have is a high number of days that have some precipitation. We just don’t get much when it does. The sort of heavy rains that the southeast are known for just aren’t common here. The northeast, having their wet season in summer, has muggier summers.

We do have higher than average humidity, since you‘ve got Puget Sound right there. But it also keeps the humidity level relatively stable throughout the year. So if you try to equate us having humidity and rain based on what folks think is rain and high humidity back east, it’s not an accurate picture of what it’s like to live here. But yes, not as dry as Arizona, or the region between the cascades and the rocky mountains as a whole.

We do have a rain forest on the west side of the peninsula, though. The only temperate rainforest in North America. Makes for a good weekend trip at the right time of year.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
My mother and I did the Alaska cruise out of Seattle a few years ago. Loved it, especially visiting a musher camp, going mushing and getting to play with the dogs. I’d rank it as my 2nd favorite cruise. First was the one to Nova Scotia and New Foundland.
I'm not a fan of flying which is why we're looking for cruises out of SF but there is no shortage from here, we can do Hawaii, Alaska and tones of others in between. A friend's wife who works for a travel agency recommends a small one at first so if it turns out you hate it you won't be trapped lol.
My husband hates flying, which is why tomorrow, we’re driving over to New Orleans (2 hours) and boarding the American Queen steamboat. This will be my second trip on her. Went with Mum a few years ago from Memphis to Louisville and it was better than any ocean cruise I’ve ever taken. So although this is not the best time of year for cruising, we got a round trip New Orleans (no flying), and would up getting a tremendous deal thanks to “supply chain issues.”

We originally purchased a 5 day cruise on the Dutchess (a smaller boat). All the cabins on the Dutchess have balconies. When it was cancelled, we were able to move (at no extra charge) to a 7 day cruise on the Queen, where they honored our balcony room. I figure we wound up paying half price for the trip.

Unlike ocean cruises, the American Queen Steamboat company throws in all kinds of extras. For instance, they put you up in a hotel the day before departure to make sure everyone makes it in time. Dinner comes with wine every night. Fancy coffees (latté, mocha, americano, etc.) are offered 24/7 at no extra charge. And they have freshly baked cookies throughout, also available 24/7. Although we didn’t try it on the last trip, the Queen also offers alternative dining, like a prime rib bar every night. I suspect my husband will want that a few times since he gets tired of no meat in the house. And, of course, the entertainment is as good as on any cruise.

There is definitely a diet in my January plans!

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
With all the rain, how is the humidity?

It seems like the summer humidity is moderate to low. Nothing like what I have experienced east of the Rockies. In non-summer, though, it tends to be higher than I would prefer, making what would be mundane cold into something that gets through your bones and gnaws on your soul.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
We're looking at record flooding in the Sacramento area, they're using helicopters to rescue drivers from major freeways right now.

I remember when we have those horrible floods in 2016, one of my employees was on the news rescuing people from their rooftops in his canoe.

Would rather my house burn to the ground than get flooded.

On the other hand, CA can use the rain.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
One of the problems with heavy rains during/after long droughts is that the water doesn’t actually get where it needs to be, because the ground is too dry. So most of the water just runs off, and can cause flooding like what we are seeing now.

California really needs a sustained wet season.
Exactly and aside from this massive storm it appears we're going to have off and on rain/mountain snow for a while which is great news for the area.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
It seems like the summer humidity is moderate to low. Nothing like what I have experienced east of the Rockies. In non-summer, though, it tends to be higher than I would prefer, making what would be mundane cold into something that gets through your bones and gnaws on your soul.

Yeah I'll take 20 below zero in upstate NY or Vermont any time rather than walk into even a 10mph breeze for one block heading west from the trains towards the Hudson River in NYC in winter. I used to forget to bring a scarf or hat sometimes when leaving for work, and I would so regret that omission on the way home. Manhattan is an island... and those winter winds never let you forget it. Might as well be Chicago!

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Drove in dense fog all the way home including across 3 major bridges. Why the hell do people NOT put on their lights when driving in such low visibility?! There were places were visibility was no more than a few feet. No lights. Morons.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Drove in dense fog all the way home including across 3 major bridges. Why the hell do people NOT put on their lights when driving in such low visibility?! There were places were visibility was no more than a few feet. No lights. Morons.

Because we don't teach kids the simple rules of the road. And why do European cars have rear fog lights and American ones don't. I always like seeing a Euro car in front of me in foggy conditions because that rear fog light is BRIGHT AF.

Top Bottom
1 2