Weather

bwinter88

Fight, or nose: pick one
Reaction score
So for those of you in Southern California right now, how is it. Or more specifically what will it be like Saturday evening?

Offspring will be landing at Burbank around 8:30. Will this be gone by then?
Sun is peaking through clouds right now. The worst has passed, doesn't look like it will rain again until next week.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
According to the offspring, it is snowing in Santa Clarita. :eek:

She needs to go out, but having seen how they drive in rain, she is going to stay home for now. :ROFLMAO:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

She needs to go out, but having seen how they drive in rain, she is going to stay home for now. :ROFLMAO:
Probably the safest bet at the moment, right now there is a series of record setting storms lined up offshore and it's devastating most of the state. My area is mostly closed and all the major freeways are flooded in all directions, none of us have ever seen anything like this in our lifetimes.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Probably the safest bet at the moment, right now there is a series of record setting storms lined up offshore and it's devastating most of the state. My area is mostly closed and all the major freeways are flooded in all directions, none of us have ever seen anything like this in our lifetimes.
Very lucky so far in my part of Silicon Valley. Only problem nearby was across the street, where a tree took down a power line and it only affected one house.

Saw another tree down on page mill road in Palo Alto, but they got it off the road pretty quickly. And 280N was backed up after the first storm last week around Los Altos, but not sure what the issue was - looks like a tree might have come down on the high way, based on how things are still coned off in one stretch.

We had one day of wind gusts in the 20-30MPH range, and everything else has just been “normal” rainy days.

On the other hand, my wife is distraught that a large chunk of capitola ended up under water.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

Wow. You're not kidding.

CA Rain.png

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Very lucky so far in my part of Silicon Valley. Only problem nearby was across the street, where a tree took down a power line and it only affected one house.

Saw another tree down on page mill road in Palo Alto, but they got it off the road pretty quickly. And 280N was backed up after the first storm last week around Los Altos, but not sure what the issue was - looks like a tree might have come down on the high way, based on how things are still coned off in one stretch.

We had one day of wind gusts in the 20-30MPH range, and everything else has just been “normal” rainy days.

On the other hand, my wife is distraught that a large chunk of capitola ended up under water.
Yeah I have an appointment in the late morning in the city and think I'll have to leave maybe 3 hours before just to be sure I can make it on time from the Sacramento area.

Wow. You're not kidding.

View attachment 20745
They're saying that the normal protection layer that we get from the storms has completely broken down, opening up the door for one after the other as far out as they can see.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
We have a cabin in a river valley about 3 hours south of SF. Luckily ours is on an elevated level because this is the cabin directly below ours today at river level, and by river level with normal river flow it’s probably a good 15 - 20 feet above water level. It far exceeded that knocking the cabin off its foundation.

1F715000-6420-4AE7-884D-AD0CCBA2A50B.jpeg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
We have a cabin in a river valley about 3 hours south of SF. Luckily ours is on an elevated level because this is the cabin directly below ours today at river level, and by river level with normal river flow it’s probably a good 15 - 20 feet above water level. It far exceeded that knocking the cabin off its foundation.

View attachment 20749
Which river? I know they're all at flood stage.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Which river? I know they're all at flood stage.

Arroyo Seco river.

Hard to believe this is the same river when I was there a couple weeks ago for Christmas, low clear and calm. Picture taken about 30 ft to the right of that cabin.

16387BB9-3BD9-4949-BCEE-87C9A0F0A2E7.jpeg

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just found out a family who also has a cabin on the lower level of our cabin property needed to be air lifted out this morning. The flood damaged cabin I posted a picture of was built in the 40’s. So nothing like this has been seen in all that time. There are 5 other cabins on the same level and I can’t imagine they’ve done any better. There’s a single main road into the area thats about 10 miles long that is completely flooded out in sections. I can’t imagine the devastation I will see in person eventually.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Still no power. Tree is cleared, and they also chopped down the one that is still standing in the photo above at the far left (It started leaning). The guy in that house had large chunks of electrical equipment that hit his lawn, made a crater, and bounced, splashing mud on the side of his house.

Power company is saying Thursday, 10pm is expected repair. Cable company has no estimate for when internet will be back, but I imagine the power needs to be done before they even start.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Still no power. Tree is cleared, and they also chopped down the one that is still standing in the photo above at the far left (It started leaning). The guy in that house had large chunks of electrical equipment that hit his lawn, made a crater, and bounced, splashing mud on the side of his house.

Power company is saying Thursday, 10pm is expected repair. Cable company has no estimate for when internet will be back, but I imagine the power needs to be done before they even start.
We went for 2 days at my buddy's place in Daly City, the hardest part was sleeping with no heat, even with covers. After I went home they decided to get a hotel and just as they were leaving it came back on for them. Hang in there, I know it sucks unless you have a power backup of some kind.

Macky-Mac

Power User
Reaction score

Those mountains that border Santa Clarita immediately to the east, there are ski areas up in them. Usually the snow stays in the mountains and we only see the snow off in the distance, but this has been a "cold" winter in the Los Angeles area, and it does occasionally snow in Los Angeles itself.....everybody panics and goes crazy

First rain after a dry spell makes all the oil on the road quite slippery.....everybody panics and goes crazy

Top Bottom
1 2