Weather

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
My brother likes to complain about how in my state, curves are marked with unrealistic speeds. He says he can go 10 over the posted speed and his tires will not be close to crying under the strain. I tried to explain to him that those speeds are based on visibility and being able to see what you are going to hit in time to not hit it.

Americans seem to have the habit of driving right on the edge. As long as the vehicle is staying on the road, that is what matters. We constantly out-drive our lights at night because the speed limit says it is ok to go that fast. Then add fog, pea soup, and we still plunge into the unknown at a breakneck pace. And then, of course, we have to maintain that breakneck pace because the next person back there is going to be flying into the fogwall at the usual 5-over, so if we slow down, they will plow right into us.

It is just too easy to get a driver's license and too hard to lose it.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Here's what's coming in tomorrow, they're saying it could be the worst storm in a century and I'm on the coast right in its path ready to get some pics. Wish me luck!

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
Well I am sat in the office at work and it’s day 2 of torrential rain. As I write this you can barely see the other side of the road as the rain drifts in at a 30 degree angle. Pretty much the norm though for this time of year.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Typical winter day here. Highs/Lows will be a tad above normal, but the gloom and rain/drizzle are constants around here this time of year.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Pretty normal here finally after a night of rain and tornado warnings. Bright sunshine, expected high in the 70’s. This is why I live here.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Still no snow here in the Boston area. We had one day of an inch, but that is it. Since I broke down this year and invested in a pretty decent snowblower, I think I guaranteed a no snow winter here.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Still no snow here in the Boston area. We had one day of an inch, but that is it. Since I broke down this year and invested in a pretty decent snowblower, I think I guaranteed a no snow winter here.

Tracks or tires?

I bought one way back during the winter of 94-95. Since we had just gotten dumped on I took what was available and it was not self-propelled other than what the augers could do.

When it was dying I limped it though its last year and then bought one at the end of the season. The new one is self-propelled, but on tires, not tracks. But it is electric start which is what I chose over tracks.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Tracks or tires?

I bought one way back during the winter of 94-95. Since we had just gotten dumped on I took what was available and it was not self-propelled other than what the augers could do.

When it was dying I limped it though its last year and then bought one at the end of the season. The new one is self-propelled, but on tires, not tracks. But it is electric start which is what I chose over tracks.
Tires, don't need the tracks as everything is relatively flat, and tracks seems to need more force to steer than tire units. Main reason for getting the snowblower, is my neck and shoulders are really bad. Cannot put a lot of strain on them or I will be down for a few days. The Ariens salesman sold me on the Auto-turn steering for "effortless, zero degree turning." We'll see...

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Still raining here in SoCal. I have an outdoor wheelbarrow that acts as my rain gauge. It's now overflowing. Nor will my large garage side gate open. It will take at least 2 weeks of dry weather for the wood swelling to go down enough to be able to open it.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Pretty normal here finally after a night of rain and tornado warnings. Bright sunshine, expected high in the 70’s. This is why I live here.

It's nearly 60ºF here so we almost meet your criteria.. .except the sun is playing hide and seek.

We're supposed to get thunderstorms later today. (?!!) A little rain instead of snow is not so strange in January during a thaw (which is supposed to happen near month-end, not now) but I can't recall any January thunderstorms in prior years.

So far I'm down 30% on heating fuel usage because of the long Indian summer and abnormally warm start of winter. Good thing too, since I rolled the dice and cut back my pre-buy contract 20% to match their blasted price hike last summer. Win some, lose some... looks like it's my turn to break even.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Been out in it all morning and it's pretty insane, very difficult to stand and get photos in 50 MPH winds lol. The worst of it is coming tonight and tomorrow morning and I'll be back at it.
Y'all in Northern Cal definitely have it worse than your Southern neighbor. Hang in there and stay safe!

Last edited:

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
60 years and 3 months ago, the PNW had one of its most iconic weather events, the infamous Columbus Day Storm. We missed out on the worst of it, living three hundred miles inland at the time. But I heard about it from everyone for years when we moved wet a few years later. This one promises to give the Californians something to talk about for a while. I just saw a NWS advisory suggesting that residents have a bug-out kit at hand and prepare insurance paperwork in advance.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Yup! Especially now that I’m no longer a first responder. LOL!

Big difference between hearing the sirens go off at 3am, thinking "Wow I hope whatever happened didn't kill anyone" versus having to suit up and go out there and deal with it. But I think if you've been a first responder you still hear those alarms differently forever,

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
So for those of you in Southern California right now, how is it. Or more specifically what will it be like Saturday evening?

Offspring will be landing at Burbank around 8:30. Will this be gone by then?

Top Bottom
1 2