Weather

Howdy Friends!

@Alli reached out via text, but instead of relaying through her, I figured, what the heck, I'd just login with a quick weather related update. Short version: we're great so far.

We're up on the northeast coast of FL in the St. Augustine area, so have mostly not been involved in this season's storms, Helene, while it did create some peripheral shitty weather, wasn't any worse than the typical Nor'easter in this area. Milton - who I guess is still pissed off about his stapler - might be a bit challenging. We're locked down, like 99% of the folks in this area (mandatory evacuation, but really more of a CYA for emergency services).

House is decently sealed up - some may recall I used HD plastic wrap from a 100' x 20' roll to sort of bag the car(s), that's done. Well, one, the other should be fine (if it gets swamped that vehicles are the least of our worries). FWIW, neither car is what we had last time I was here, but that's a possible post for another day, let's say one is the same but different, and the other is no longer a product from a certain racist, misogynistic, man-baby tech douche :)

Our seasonal tides are a bit low (good), our dune reconstruction project resulted in a nice big barrier (also good) with pretty solid plant life (great for maintaining integrity). Winds and rain we can handle, hopefully we don't experience notable flooding, for us, it wouldn't be life threatening just create a lot of mess and really disrupt our lives. Fingers crossed.

I hope people in the path of this monster are/stay safe, west coast people, I hope you're nowhere near this.

Take care!

They essentially sentenced that poor dog to death and in such a cruel way. I hope it finds a better home after this.
Thankfully, he's been checked over by a vet and received a clean bill of health. Like you said, I truly hope this sweet pupper gets a well deserved loving home.

1728518590132.png

Howdy Friends!

@Alli reached out via text, but instead of relaying through her, I figured, what the heck, I'd just login with a quick weather related update. Short version: we're great so far.

We're up on the northeast coast of FL in the St. Augustine area, so have mostly not been involved in this season's storms, Helene, while it did create some peripheral shitty weather, wasn't any worse than the typical Nor'easter in this area. Milton - who I guess is still pissed off about his stapler - might be a bit challenging. We're locked down, like 99% of the folks in this area (mandatory evacuation, but really more of a CYA for emergency services).

House is decently sealed up - some may recall I used HD plastic wrap from a 100' x 20' roll to sort of bag the car(s), that's done. Well, one, the other should be fine (if it gets swamped that vehicles are the least of our worries). FWIW, neither car is what we had last time I was here, but that's a possible post for another day, let's say one is the same but different, and the other is no longer a product from a certain racist, misogynistic, man-baby tech douche :)

Our seasonal tides are a bit low (good), our dune reconstruction project resulted in a nice big barrier (also good) with pretty solid plant life (great for maintaining integrity). Winds and rain we can handle, hopefully we don't experience notable flooding, for us, it wouldn't be life threatening just create a lot of mess and really disrupt our lives. Fingers crossed.

I hope people in the path of this monster are/stay safe, west coast people, I hope you're nowhere near this.

Take care!
Hey dude! Glad to hear things are okay up there on your end of the state. Sounds like nobody is fully spared but if you had to be in it that's the area, right?

Hang in there man and don't be a stranger, hope all is well.

Howdy Friends!

Take care!
T H A N K Y O U for checking in! Also to @Alli for contacting you. What a relief to read you are safe and okay!

I wonder if they've put an AI system into the cameras on the search and rescue aircraft yet? AI would likely do a much better job than humans at identifying people in the water over a larger field.
Well, even semi-autonomous UAVs equipped with high-resolution IR cameras would do a better job than just people searching with regular eyes.

I realized I never followed up!

Thankfully we had almost no issues. Minimal cleanup since the trees were already blown out from Helene, and once we were clear of the storm 100%, it was about an hour to get everything opened back up.

Our new big dunes hung tough, even at the second higher tide where Milton had moved offshore but was still creating a lot of surge potential wound up being zero issue. This is at near (2nd) high[er] tide and while the depth is sort of hard to gauge, it's 20-something feet high worth of sand it would have to cross.

1729027225773.png

Our little plant folks pulled a NONE SHALL PASS ... :D

So just heavy rain, but not even the ditches spilled out, it wasn't any more than any heavy 2-3 day summer rain we see.

For a while, I thought we might actually NOT lose power, but it did go out around 1-2a early Thu, we have a new option for some aux power, so Thu around 8a we fired up the kettle, ground some fresh beans. Once we saw a large number of people out (about 32K out of our service area of 121K) we figured probably no power soon, so we hooked up the main fridge to the power, moved a few things from the garage freezer and the office/beer fridge.

We had planned on our 3rd HHN (Halloween Horror Nights) trip that Friday, figure we'd still go but wasn't thrilled with leaving the house still without power, but thank you FPL, they got it back on around 9p Thursday night :) Heck, even the internet was already up and running (it ran for a while after the outage, some of that gear is on a UPS). So we had a nice cool, and fully lit house to get ready for the trip, and the daughter didn't have school Friday (due to the storm) and already had Monday as a Fed holiday, so we got an early start for the long weekend. :)

This makes my blood boil. #HurricaneMilton

FHP Troopers rescued a dog left tied to a pole on I-75 near Bruce B Downs Blvd this morning. Do NOT do this to your pets.
People who do this don't deserve pets.

View attachment 31808

Good news:

Good news:

This is excellent news! The DA has a great case here. I'll never understand how people can be this cruel, if you don't want a dog then don't get one. I hope this asshole gets the harshest penalty allowed.

Back