What are you doing today?

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I had to close/replace my bank‘s debit/Visa card, firva fraudulent attempted charge and today my bank’s Visa card for a suspicious charge. Then I got a call from American Express about a charge which I did not recognized. For the latter, the automated system turned “CondeNast Traveler” (wife’s subscription) into “”Advanced Tuning Procedures” so I said no and the subscription payment was cancelled. Modern finances… :oops:

How warm has it been in the UK this summer? I can handle Celsius. :)
It was warm for a week in July. Nearly 30 degrees. Then cloudy and a bit cool ever since. Today was warm though. Maybe 25? Supposed to be warm until Wednesday now then rain.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
It was warm for a week in July. Nearly 30 degrees. Then cloudy and a bit cool ever since. Today was warm though. Maybe 25? Supposed to be warm until Wednesday now then rain.
25 is pretty wonderful… We’ve had 32 to 37 since June 1st. Now it’s “Fall” yet it was 35 today. :oops: Eventually the tilt of the Earth and shorter days will have an impact for the better. It will be when we start seeing significant cold fronts sweeping down from the North that make it here before petering out.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
wife and I went on a 43 mile ride up the side of a mountain and then back down across a cool bridge. got some Chinese food then road home worn out. Addis headquarters
IMG_3288.jpeg
IMG_3289.jpeg
IMG_3290.jpeg

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
25 is pretty wonderful… We’ve had 32 to 37 since June 1st. Now it’s “Fall” yet it was 35 today. :oops: Eventually the tilt of the Earth and shorter days will have an impact for the better. It will be when we start seeing significant cold fronts sweeping down from the North that make it here before petering out.
Actually hit 28 today. Had to dust off my shorts.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
People refer to mine as glow sticks.
I think you must have been cycling too close to the power station then!

One of my in the office day's today. Reasonably productive. My boss was off celebrating Jewish NY, so it was a bit quieter in the office.

Very warm so came home and swapped the trousers for the shorts to work on those white glow sticks of mine!

JamesMike

Power User
Reaction score
What are the hopes of getting more people out of Afghanistan? The land routes are pretty difficult. It would be great if there were more flights, but it looks like that route is closed now.
With out going into specifics, there are numorus landing fields in Afghanistan and there are many land routes to cross the borders. So far we have been able to get out 219 translators and families.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Pneumatic or electric? What's it not doing?
Gas fired. Fan runs, but either not getting a spark or not getting fuel into the cylinder . It had been cleaned over the winter and probably didn't have a box or two of nails through it since, but I cleaned it again anyway and still nothing. Even went and bought a new fuel canister even though the old one wasn't expired. So no idea. :unsure:

I keep seeing the battery ones at the big boxes, but just not sure. I hate dragging out a compressor to trim out a single room.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Well, today (okay, yesterday, Wednesday) was bins, thinking about ordering sashimi fish from the fishmonger for delivery on Friday along with sushi rice (done) - and other things, and chatting with brothers, online.

Actually, - and this may well be considered to be rather belated, but, who cares, Covid, and grief....anyway....the time is right whenever the time is right for us.

A few weeks ago, - and, more recently, a fortnight ago, when Decent Brother visited, (and the fact that Mother's birthday, August 28, also loomed large in our memory) we had discussed the fact that we have yet to deal with (i.e. add) Mother's details to the family headstone, and that now sounds about right to start thinking about this.

So, over the past few days - especially yesterday (Wednesday), we were exchanging (very affectionate, respectful, thoughtful) email thoughts - the best possible version I have ever experienced of that awful "managerial speak" of "brain-storming" on wording choices; it was wonderful, enjoyable, uplifting, (thinking of adjectives, nouns, appearance of what we decide to write - to ensure it is compatible with what I had already had written about my father, recognition of her character, yet awareness of the need for accuracy, affection, acknowledgement of her character and precision, for, words count on headstones).

Earlier, years earlier, when arranging the details of my father's grave, my mother had asked me to do the needful, reserving final approval. But, now, we need to ensure that her character is reflected honestly and accurately, while remaining faithful (in appearance, and character) to what we (well, I) wrote about my father.

Thus, I wrote the "text" (for my father's grave) and, also, decided on the font (Garamond, a favourite of mine - the stonemason had never heard of it, but produced an elegant and beautiful piece of work).

Anyway, today's (well, yesterday's) emails were happy and helpful and strangely uplifting; it was a surprisingly - not just pleasant, but almost joyful - experience to confer, consult and chat (online) with my brothers on a form of words to use to describe my mother briefly, succinctly, accurately, faithfully, yet lovingly.

And I loved the fact that we were all so positive and supportive of what we each wrote, while yet refining and amending and offering tweaking suggestions, which, in turn, were further refined, by agreement.

Actually, it was a lovely experience - and I think my mother would have been not just chuffed, but quietly delighted - maybe even thrilled - (she always wanted her children to be friends as adults) at what we came up with. Collectively.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2