What are you doing today?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Some of us just call that living in Seattle.

EDIT: I kid, but some of it could just be dependent on what you are used to. And in fairness, people in general should probably be wearing sunglasses more often than they do.

Agreed, but, for those of us who wear spectacles all of the time, that usually means having to invest in, acquire, or otherwise obtain a pair of prescription sunglasses.

Mind you, once you head down that route, you will wonder why it never occurred to you to do so any earlier; I don't know what I'd do without mine - they are absolutely invaluable.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Agreed, but, for those of us who wear spectacles all of the time, that usually means having to invest in, acquire, or otherwise obtain a pair of prescription sunglasses.

Mind you, once you head down that route, you will wonder why it never occurred to you to do so any earlier; I don't know what I'd do without mine - they are absolutely invaluable.

Oh, I’m in that boat. I have a pair of prescription sunglasses that are always in the car, and I’ve used them on overcast days quite often.

I’ve been fortunate that my eyes haven’t shifted much over the last 10 years, so haven’t had to replace them for quite a while.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Some of us just call that living in Seattle.

EDIT: I kid, but some of it could just be dependent on what you are used to. And in fairness, people in general should probably be wearing sunglasses more often than they do.

I think my daughter was around 7 when I bought her a pair of polarized Oakley's. Yeah they were expensive for a kid, but her eyes are kind of worth it. She managed to hold on to them for several years. Plus they were pretty indestructible.

The wife has a clip that goes on hers. It is made by the same manufacturer who made her frames, so it fits well. Not like ones you get at gas station.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I used to have (wear, sport?) clip-ons, but they tended to break easily, and, moreover, it was always a challenge to find a pair sufficiently small for me to be able to wear comfortably.

However, ever since I decided to go the prescription sunglasses route, I must say that I have become a firm fan, a passionate proponent, and would never be without a pair.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
this is "what did you do yesterday?"

Web_December_22_2022_001-3.jpg

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Is that also why those with implants are generally more sensitive to bright lights? I was always more sensitive than others due to light blue eyes, but after my surgery I wear polarized sunglasses almost all the time I am outside. Even on cloudy days.

My assumption would be that UV is not good for tissues, such as are retinas, so wearing your Cheap Sunglasses outside is a good idea. If you were accustomed to wearing corrective glasses (mine are kinda thick), having that extra layer reduces some light coming in.

As a teenager, when I started wearing hard contacts, the increase in incoming light, coupled I think with the things floating on my eyes, caused me to develop the sneeze reaction going from dark to bright places. The people who have the sneeze reaction come to understand the eye-nose link well (e.g., you nose runs when you cry). Those who never get the sneeze reaction tend to not believe it is real.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Regarding Rx sunglasses, for those of you in the US, just get a pair of Pair eyeglasses. They have magnetic frames in every conceivable color and pattern as well as magnetic sunglass toppers. The glasses themselves don’t cost any more than any other glasses, and the toppers are all around $30 each. They’re great for me this week since I really need the sunglass part but have knocked out the lens on the right side due to the cataract surgery.

All I’m doing today is laundry so that we can pack for tomorrow.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Today must be Laundry Day for a lot of us! Yep, did mine today as well....now I'm set with fresh linens on the bed, clean towels, sheets and clothing all folded and put away in appropriate places. Have a couple more domestic chores to do and then I'm done for the weekend and the holiday. Tomorrow will be devoted to texting/phone calls/emails to various family and friends, plus just chillin' out, although I probably will do a few this evening as well.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I'm laughing at your comment, @Clix Pix, about how it seems to have been laundry day, today, for so many of us.

(The contrast with my student days.....when Christmas Eve was spent in the company of one's drinking companions, or pals, or partners...)

Anyway, the cheesemonger has just called by, - accompanied by the lovely Ukrainian to whom he has given refuge to for the past nine months or so - with a wonderful box of goodies, (olive oil, truffle oil, balsamic vinegar, wine, Italian tomato sauce, Italian tuna in a jar, honey, and - of course - cheese, among many other delights).

Cooking doesn't appeal tonight, but I have perused recipes for tomorrow.

A bottle of Trappistes Rochefort 8 has been opened.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Today must be Laundry Day for a lot of us! Yep, did mine today as well....now I'm set with fresh linens on the bed, clean towels, sheets and clothing all folded and put away in appropriate places. Have a couple more domestic chores to do and then I'm done for the weekend and the holiday. Tomorrow will be devoted to texting/phone calls/emails to various family and friends, plus just chillin' out, although I probably will do a few this evening as well.
Apparently its bedding in the morning Mrs AFB informs me. Hopefully she has a bit more energy tomorrow compared to today.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Spending my day waiting for Tesla roadside support to pick up the phone.

My car has a light that continuously cycles between ”parking brake did not release - driving may damage the brake” and “parking brake did not engage - car may freely roll”

Probably a parking break servo, but maybe just a software issue since it started right after a software update. Looks like I’ll be calling AAA monday to tow it to a service center.

Nice to know that tesla roadside will take at least a half hour to give you a human, though. Another reason my next car will not be a Tesla.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Spending my day waiting for Tesla roadside support to pick up the phone.

My car has a light that continuously cycles between ”parking brake did not release - driving may damage the brake” and “parking brake did not engage - car may freely roll”

Probably a parking break servo, but maybe just a software issue since it started right after a software update. Looks like I’ll be calling AAA monday to tow it to a service center.

Nice to know that tesla roadside will take at least a half hour to give you a human, though. Another reason my next car will not be a Tesla.
Good call, considering that it's automated for all stop/hold functions I wouldn't trust it either.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Good call, considering that it's automated for all stop/hold functions I wouldn't trust it either.
Yeah, i just took a look in the garage and found i can easily roll the car. So it looks like it’s stuck half open. Probably the servo. Tesla phone guy thought it was a software issue after looking at the car diagnostics, but his suggested resets and power offs did nothing. So I’ll call AAA on monday. I sweet-talked him into giving me the direct phone number for Santa Clara, so I can call ahead and not have to ride with the car. (Going to tow just in case it really does sometimes stick closed. It seems its really stuck open, but the car’s diagnostic lights are confused.)

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Yeah, i just took a look in the garage and found i can easily roll the car. So it looks like it’s stuck half open. Probably the servo. Tesla phone guy thought it was a software issue after looking at the car diagnostics, but his suggested resets and power offs did nothing. So I’ll call AAA on monday. I sweet-talked him into giving me the direct phone number for Santa Clara, so I can call ahead and not have to ride with the car. (Going to tow just in case it really does sometimes stick closed. It seems its really stuck open, but the car’s diagnostic lights are confused.)
Ha - looks like they publish the phone number on the web. When I needed that number 6 months ago it was not published there. And here I thought i was so charming.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Plans to chill most of the day. Still deciding on what to have for our 22nd anniversary dinner. We met in September 2000, but while prepping for Midnight Mass on December 24th (he played piano at night services and many of the special occasions) we were inundated with cheers about being an "official" couple. It was the sweater I bought for him that everyone liked. When he explained that I bought it, everyone replied along the lines "Oh, it's official then!"

Had planned to go out for a pasta dinner. But it's so cold and bleak out.

Still went out for a short walk before the sun set.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
My wife works at a ski area and had to work on Christmas so I’ve come to ski and just be here for moral support. Not a great ski day. 15 degrees F and we just got inches of rain in the last couple of days, turning everything into a glacier. When 11am hits I’ll be in that bar so fast…

Top Bottom
1 2