What are you doing today?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I’m waiting in the ER as we speak. My dad may or may not have had a small stroke. I’ll know more soon.
Sorry to hear that, not a great way to spend your Christmas that's for sure. Hope everything works out for the best and it's a short stay.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, not a great way to spend your Christmas that's for sure. Hope everything works out for the best and it's a short stay.

It looks like it has. Whatever happened was transistory. Nothing has shown up on any of the tests thus far, but they’ll be running him through an MRI to make triply sure.

Unfortunately, he’ll have to stay overnight, but other than that, it looks like we may have dodged a bullet here.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
We stopped for a quick bite at Waffle House before getting on the interstate. Between Waffle House and the interstate (about 1/8 mile) we saw two accidents. One exiting the interstate from the right lane had apparently decided to turn left where he was t-boned by the guy in the left lane going straight. The second was someone getting on the interstate at a speed that must have been too high for the road leading to the turn, never mind the turn itself, and he went down the grassy hill almost onto the interstate.

Apart from that, the drive to NOLA was uneventful. We’ll probably walk over to Harrah’s for dinner later tonight.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Stripped the bed so Mrs AFB could wash the sheets.
Cleaned the bathroom.
Went for a walk.
Not much else.
Chatted - proper chats - with Decent Brother and with Other Brother and German sister-in-law - these were all different calls, obviously; read books, sipped wine.

@Renzatic: Sorry to hear that - what an unpleasant and stressful way to have to spend Christmas; the very best of luck.

Renzatic

Reaction score
@Renzatic: Sorry to hear that - what an unpleasant and stressful way to have to spend Christmas; the very best of luck.

I'm at home for the next hour or so. I had to feed the cats. Also, dad wants me to pick up his pajamas because he refuses to wear one of those hospital gowns, so I'll be stopping there next.

Needless to say, everything seems to be going fairly well.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
It looks like it has. Whatever happened was transistory. Nothing has shown up on any of the tests thus far, but they’ll be running him through an MRI to make triply sure.

Unfortunately, he’ll have to stay overnight, but other than that, it looks like we may have dodged a bullet here.
Sounds like he may have had a TIA (transient ischemic attack), sort of like having chest pain but not a myocardial infarction (heart attack). If that’s so, he’ll probably need testing for conditions like carotid disease, which can be done with ultrasound, MRI, or CT.

Wishing him all the best.

Renzatic

Reaction score
Sounds like he may have had a TIA (transient ischemic attack), sort of like having chest pain but not a myocardial infarction (heart attack). If that’s so, he’ll probably need testing for conditions like carotid disease, which can be done with ultrasound, MRI, or CT.

Wishing him all the best.

That's the diagnosis the doctors are leaning towards. He's already received a CT scan, which showed nothing out of the ordinary, his bloodwork came back fine, and he isn't showing any lingering symptoms of a stroke. The MRI has already been done, though we haven't seen the results yet, and the ultrasound is scheduled for tomorrow.

Whatever happened to dad this morning only lasted for about 10 minutes, from what I hear. The way it was described to me, he and mom were getting Christmas dinner ready, and dad suddenly became confused. Mom said he stood in place for a couple of minutes looking confused, then he started talking in a slurred monotone, asking mom to remind him what he was doing.

From my perspective, I get a call from mom, screaming "OH MY GOD! YOU'RE FATHER'S HAVING A STROKE! I KNEW THIS DAY WOULD COME! GET OVER HERE HELP HELP," cuz, you know, my mom's always been the stoic type. When I arrived, dad was talking to the EMTs, acting perfectly normal.

All any of us know right now is that SOMETHING happened, though we don't know exactly what or why. The TIA is the current likely diagnosis, especially since my grandmother had them, and my aunt, aka my dad's sister, suffered from a massive stroke about 10 years ago that left her paralized along the right side of her body. Though the idea that he could be responding poorly to some new medication has been floated as well.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
My day has mostly involved sorting out all the plastic, cardboard and glass produced by Christmas Day. Putting all the pots, pans and plates away and trying to tidy the house. Assembling toys has also played a major part and I never thought a Barbie Dream House would create so much rage inside me. Being attacked by the cat while I was doing it didn’t help either though.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Headed out to the MIL's today. Going to drive into more snow, but at least it won't be below zero (F) when I end up in a ditch. :oops:

Top Bottom
1 2