What are you doing today?

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oscars Photo Lab in San Francisco is a place my local film friends (mostly Leica shooters) have used in the past and have liked their results (I've never used them). Looks like they'll do mail order, too. Might be worth trying a roll as an experiment.

Photoworks in SF is another one.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yesterday my husband was fussing about my driving. (He hates to drive so I’ve always done all the driving.) We were on our way to Lowe’s, and I told him that when we arrived, he was getting out of the car to go into Lowe’s and I was getting out of the car to move into the passenger seat. Permanently. That meant he had to drive the 40 minutes to dinner last night, and 40 minutes home in the dark. He was not happy. He’ll live with it.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Sadly, yesterday Costco closed their in-store photo centers, a service I used for making large prints (20" x 30") off and on for the last 13 years. That business has been taken over by Shutterfly for those wanting to use that service going forward.

So...I spent time downloading processed images files I wanted to keep before deleting them on their server. That seemed to go OK.

What was really great about Costco was that all 20x30 and 16x20 photos were printed on Epson professional large format printers, producing outstanding results (zero color tint on B&W prints), and priced at only $9.99 for a 20x30.

Making prints was easy. Upload digital files to the local Costco and they'd have prints ready to pick up at the photo counter a half day later.
Have you tried Bay Photo? They’re the go to for a lot of my photographer buddies here in the Bay Area, excellent quality and even better customer service. I’ve had dozens of high end prints with them both for me and customers.

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
Just outside Charleston, WV. Come May 1st, I hope to be fully moved to Sedona, AZ. I know there is a nice store there he was willing to charge my wife's battery when she left her charger at home. But he doesn't do developing.
I know nothing about Arizona geography, so this could be way off, but there was a camera store in Sedona (found via Google) named Rollie's that stated on their FB page that they send film out to Hidden Light in Flagstaff.

I have personally developed with Indie Film and found their work to be excellent (I had them develop and scan), know of others who swear by The Find Lab, and have ordered film from Reformed, although not developed with them.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Have you tried Bay Photo? They’re the go to for a lot of my photographer buddies here in the Bay Area, excellent quality and even better customer service. I’ve had dozens of high end prints with them both for me and customers.

I haven't tried Bay Photo, but know of their excellent reputation. They'd be an option for the future.

Back when I needed 20x30 prints for a Tenderloin gallery exhibition, I stumbled upon Costco from an online review about their large prints. I was skeptical; especially for the price - back then it was $7.99, iirc. I thought no way could the quality be any good.

Went down to the Redwood City Costco to check out their setup and lo and behold they had a very expensive professional Epson large format printer dedicated to only making 16x20 and 20x30 prints. Went back home and uploaded a B&W 20x30 image file to their server and picked up the print the next morning at their photo counter. I was blown away by the quality. Over the next couple of days I finished editing eleven more B&W image files for that size, uploaded them to Costco, and picked them up the next day and was super happy with the results.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I know nothing about Arizona geography, so this could be way off, but there was a camera store in Sedona (found via Google) named Rollie's that stated on their FB page that they send film out to Hidden Light in Flagstaff.

That's the one. :) Really nice guy.

Will check out the place in Flagstaff. Thanks.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Couple of things going on.

First, today is the offspring's first day of work. Well, at least her first day in office. She has worked for the company since July, but today will be her first day in the office with other colleagues.

Edit: She has valet at the office. :eek:

And as she has a first, today was going to be my last, but the weather (ice and some snow) will put it off until tomorrow. And that will be my last day. Turning everything over to my former partner's son. Had planned to go clean the bed of my truck out of who knows what and have a lunch catered in, but it can wait until tomorrow.

Last edited:

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I'm noodling whether I want to get back into amateur (ham) radio. I've been licensed since high school (and have kept it renewed ever since), but haven't been active for around 30 years.

Have also noticed over the last 5-10 years there have been some outstanding receiver/transmitter architectural/technology advances in the amateur radio market that have trickled down from commercial/defense markets. It's tempting to design and make my own receiver/transmitter.

Last edited:

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Cat came back from her endoscopy drugged and very affectionate. We'll get the results of the biopsy in about a week.

The surprising thing though is that she had a partial blockage from hair they had to remove in order to even do the endoscopy into the small intestine. She's coughed up hairballs in the past, but this was at least 3x as much hair. Yeesh.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'm noodling whether I want to get back into amateur (ham) radio. I've been licensed since high school (and have kept it renewed ever since), but haven't been active for around 30 years.

Have also noticed over the last 5-10 years there have been some outstanding receiver/transmitter architectural/technology advances in the amateur radio market that have trickled down from commercial/defense markets. It's tempting to design and make my own receiver/transmitter.
I have always wondered, what do ham radio operators do? Are there groups to join on a certain station based on interests. Kinda like an audio version of this forum. Or do you seek out a random person to talk to around the world? This may be a silly question, but I have no idea what ham radio operators do... for fun or to keep up with their license. I could have just googled it, but I figured that asking an actual ham radio user would give me a the straight scoop.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I have always wondered, what do ham radio operators do? Are there groups to join on a certain station based on interests. Kinda like an audio version of this forum. Or do you seek out a random person to talk to around the world? This may be a silly question, but I have no idea what ham radio operators do... for fun or to keep up with their license. I could have just googled it, but I figured that asking an actual ham radio user would give me a the straight scoop.

It's mostly talking about anything with random hams anywhere; from local areas to around the world. It's mostly for fun. There are also groups of people who get together periodically.

A license is good for ten years, and can be renewed without having to retake the exam as long as that's done within a year of expiration.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I have always wondered, what do ham radio operators do?

They will be our only link to communication around the world when a solar flare takes out all the satellites and cell towers. :eek:

Ok, exaggerating a bit, but they will be able to function when a lot of other means of communication fail.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Looking for a groundhog so I can hold him up to the first sunny sky in awhile. But it's about to be ten below zero here over the weekend after a week of mild weather with a few snow flurries. So I think the critters are still all snoozing and it's up to me to decide whether I want to enjoy six more weeks of whatever this weather is, whether it qualifies as winter or not.

Weirdest winter I can remember since about 1998, another weirdly warm winter in this neck of the woods, with sudden plunges to temperatures that can break apple tree boughs (they sound like rifle fire) and threaten the household water piping. All that freezing and thawing means big bucks for the perennial nurseries once spring finally arrives. I'll probably have to replace some bleeding hearts, they don't like having to adapt to sudden changes even when they're mulched a foot deep after the ground finally freezes.

So today my other preoccupation is perusing flower and seed catalogs, of course!

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Went to the WV Auto Show. Other than getting to sit in a Ford Lightning, there wasn't anything special to see. Well, they did have a G-Wagen.... :)

But then we walked over to the Charleston Town Center and ended up a bit depressed. Most of the stores are gone and they have moved the ones that are remaining to one area. It used to be the hopping place when I was a teen and in college.

But by comparison, the Huntington Mall, which is just out by the interstate is doing well. Maybe one or two opening for stores, but for the most part it is full. Dick's just added their Field & Stream store and they are building a new Outback.

Just odd how one is dying and one it thriving.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Went to the WV Auto Show. Other than getting to sit in a Ford Lightning, there wasn't anything special to see. Well, they did have a G-Wagen.... :)

But then we walked over to the Charleston Town Center and ended up a bit depressed. Most of the stores are gone and they have moved the ones that are remaining to one area. It used to be the hopping place when I was a teen and in college.

But by comparison, the Huntington Mall, which is just out by the interstate is doing well. Maybe one or two opening for stores, but for the most part it is full. Dick's just added their Field & Stream store and they are building a new Outback.

Just odd how one is dying and one it thriving.

It can be bittersweet looking around at a place you're leaving.. or when you happen to drop in again later. I used to get impatient on Sunday drives with my grandparents when they'd occasionally explore changes in the part of the southern tier of NYS near Elmira and Corning, where they had lived before marrying and moving farther up into central New York State.

"Oh look, the old Hartenson place is gone... remember how they used to have those two pair of oxen?"

Sighs from the back seat, where whichever grandkids along for that ride were sitting, and all we could hope for was possible discovery of a new ice cream shop. But we did end up touring the Corning Glass Works one time, which was fascinating because the tour included watching the actual production of beautiful hand blown glass objects. Today the CMOG even offers opportunities for kids to make their own blown or molten glass projects.

Still, life moves on. We end up being the ones thinking oh look, that bookstore is like... gone! But our nextgen sigh and figure maybe there's a decent indie coffee shop up the way.

And just think, you can rely on others for tales of the wacky West VA winters... it's great that you'll be closer to where your daughter works too. Makes those holiday and long weekend visits shift from unlikely to pretty workable!

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Installed a smoke alarm in my garage where the Tesla sits, don't want to become a statistic with this unpredictable car.

Not sure if this comment should get a (y) or a :eek:.

Well you probably saved a couple of $ because you didn't need one with CO capabilities. ;)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Not sure if this comment should get a (y) or a :eek:.

Well you probably saved a couple of $ because you didn't need one with CO capabilities. ;)
I got the Onelink that supports both and has smart notifications.

The main reason is because I just don't trust Tesla and their unpredictable batteries that catch fire for no known reason as I leave it in the garage without warning system.

2022-06-12-12-25-05-window-1655061934.png

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Top Bottom
1 2