What Movie Are You Watching?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Spiderman (2002)- This (watched tonight) and the second 2002, even the third 2007 are the best Spiderman movies ever made imo. Thanks Sam Rami and the unbeatable cast. Nothing that follows comes close to the core story. Willem Dafoe is impressive as Green Goblin.

4B9B2BCE-1266-4298-9F1D-76F3D61C6154.jpeg

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Bullet Train (2022)- You might enjoy this if you can get past the farsical nature of the story, an empty train with mayhem onboard and apparently none of the train staff notice, but it has a pretty good and thoroughly unbelievable
train wreck
. ;) :D

9E73EAED-8D7E-40AD-874A-2CE267C2F90C.jpeg

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022 Netflix)- I liked it, but it kind of lost it’s mystery half way though when the narrative started explaining and showing all the things the audience was unaware for the first half. Good to see Ed Norton back along with Dave Bautista, featuring elderly Daniel Craig. ;)

I think I enjoyed it because it wasn't trying to go all in on the mystery elements. It's a sort of drama/comedy that uses the mystery film framework. But I'm also not huge on mystery films as a genre, so that may be part of it too. My partner likes the first one more, while I actually think I like both pretty equally, but for different reasons.

Janelle Monáe's performance was one of the best parts of the new one for me.

Bullet Train (2022)- You might enjoy this if you can get past the farsical nature of the story, an empty train with mayhem onboard and apparently none of the train staff notice, but it has a pretty good and thoroughly unbelievable
train wreck

This one strikes me as a less dark, and less ugly Quentin Tarantino film. It's still a dark comedy, but it has more fun in the farce in a way that makes it a good movie for sitting down and just enjoying something. To be honest, I'm much more likely to come back and rewatch this than Django Unchained, even though I think Django Unchained is the better film between the two.

And apparently a surprisingly decent adaptation of the novel it is based on.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think I enjoyed it because it wasn't trying to go all in on the mystery elements. It's a sort of drama/comedy that uses the mystery film framework. But I'm also not huge on mystery films as a genre, so that may be part of it too. My partner likes the first one more, while I actually think I like both pretty equally, but for different reasons.

Janelle Monáe's performance was one of the best parts of the new one for me.

This one strikes me as a less dark, and less ugly Quentin Tarantino film. It's still a dark comedy, but it has more fun in the farce in a way that makes it a good movie for sitting down and just enjoying something. To be honest, I'm much more likely to come back and rewatch this than Django Unchained, even though I think Django Unchained is the better film between the two.

And apparently a surprisingly decent adaptation of the novel it is based on.
For BT, it would be interesting to do a direct comparison of the movie to the source material to see how many liberties were taken and how it strikes me. :) For some movies I find myself drawn in and vested, for others the story feels like It’s on rails and I know where the rails lead. This story had many unexpected elements, but it felt more like watching a cartoon.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
train wreck

Wife made it about 30 minutes into it and had to bail. I had to finish it just because. It wasn't bad and had some good laughs.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
For BT, it would be interesting to do a direct comparison of the movie to the source material to see how many liberties were taken and how it strikes me. :) For some movies I find myself drawn in and vested, for others the story feels like It’s on rails and I know where the rails lead. This story had many unexpected elements, but it felt more like watching a cartoon.

I have some credit with Amazon, so I’m tempted to try the e-book, knowing that it might still lose a little something in translation from the original Japanese. But if you are curious about the changes: https://screenrant.com/bullet-train-movie-book-comparison-differences/

One novel that I wish would get a more direct adaptation at some point is The Running Man. The movie we got still had it’s moments, but I am not sure how you could top an action-movie style ending of the protagonist, having stolen a private jet from the big bad TV network, barely alive after a big confrontation and leaking his guts out (literally), flying that private jet into the office of the executive of said big bad TV network, while giving him the bird. Arnold was robbed of a pretty glorious ending, in my opinion.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have some credit with Amazon, so I’m tempted to try the e-book, knowing that it might still lose a little something in translation from the original Japanese. But if you are curious about the changes: https://screenrant.com/bullet-train-movie-book-comparison-differences/

One novel that I wish would get a more direct adaptation at some point is The Running Man. The movie we got still had it’s moments, but I am not sure how you could top an action-movie style ending of the protagonist, having stolen a private jet from the big bad TV network, barely alive after a big confrontation and leaking his guts out (literally), flying that private jet into the office of the executive of said big bad TV network, while giving him the bird. Arnold was robbed of a pretty glorious ending, in my opinion.
I’m curious about the humor in the movie as compared to the source material.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Pirates (rented with Amazon credits) - "Three eighteen-year-old friends journey from North to South London to celebrate New Year's Eve at the turn of the millennium."

Watched after someone posted a funny movie clip in a Jamaican restaurant. Reminded us about the rude service we use to get at out fav spot in Brooklyn. Funny, spot on and a bit of a breather from all the nonsense lately.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Pirates (rented with Amazon credits) - "Three eighteen-year-old friends journey from North to South London to celebrate New Year's Eve at the turn of the millennium."

Watched after someone posted a funny movie clip in a Jamaican restaurant. Reminded us about the rude service we use to get at out fav spot in Brooklyn. Funny, spot on and a bit of a breather from all the nonsense lately.

Mention of rude service cracked me up: I flashed back to the one occasion I ever saw someone leave the proverbial penny tip for bad service... guy I was going out with at that time dropped that on the table after the waiter's opening gambit was to clear the table we were seated at AFTER we were seated and by stacking dirty plates in front of my friend and then dumping an overflowing ashtray onto the stack.

My friend also held up a hand as the waiter started to give us menus. "No need my man, and here's your tip in advance of our imminent departure..." So it was not our fave place right then and not destined to become one either.

I do know what it's like to get rude service in a joshing manner though. I mean there was a Greek restaurant up around 108th that used to be open night and day. When a couple of us dropped in at 2 or 3am after working the late shift in midtown, or maybe at midnight if we had got lucky, the short order cook there used to raise his voice a notch and say to the mostly empty room in general "Oh precious Mary, here they are again, the dynamic duo wanting any leftovers of the supper special at 3 in the morning but with home fries just in case it might soon be breakfast time, and what mortal sin did I commit oh God to win this favor." By time he was completely done with his ever more flowery intro, the plates were usually already set in front of us and hot coffee too. Now that WAS a favorite place and we tipped the guy accordingly. 😊

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
My history with DCComics Movies has been hit, mostly miss. Marvel as a whole is much better in just about every aspect.

• It started with Batman (TV)- Despite being a parady, I was able to enjoy it. Adam West (Batman) and Burgess Meredith as the Penguin were stellar.
  • First 2 Superman with Christopher Reeve were good. Actually thought the first one was excellent.
  • Swamp Thing- I don’t remember if I saw it.
  • Tim Burton Batmans- I hated too dark, along with hating disgusting Penguin, Joker, and Riddler.
  • Road to Perdition- Ehh.
  • League of Extraordinary Gentlemen- Ehh.
  • Cat Woman- Ehh.
  • V for Vendetta- One of my favorite movies!
  • Christopher Nolan Batmans- better but still dark. Heath Ledger’s Joker, makes The Darl Knight the best Batman ever made Imo, although at this point, I am done with Batman and Gotham City.
  • Watchmen- Possibly the best Visual Novel I’ve ever read, reaching depths rare for typical comics, yet the story was just ok. The movie did nothing for me, the TV series was much better.
  • Red- Ehh.
  • Man of Steel- with Henry Cavill was pretty good.
  • Suicide Squad- Marvel trashy version?
  • Wonder Woman- Thumbs up!
  • Aquaman- I read the lead and his co-star had zero chemistry. I think she sued Johnnie Depp.
  • Birds of Prey- I really wanted to like Harley Quinn
  • Joker- I heard it was good, but more dark.
  • Wonder Woman 1984- they ruined it.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Avatar 2 in iMax 3D with expectations in check and left impressed. Cameron did it. Script and dialogue exceeded expectations. Visuals are 10 out of 10.

I have a minor quibble with the end and direction of the franchise. Time will tell.

And then the credits roll with music as bad as any Cameron film, and that is really saying something. Just dreadful music.

Recommend this film strongly.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Emily The Criminal (2022)- 👍 A woman with talent struggles with her life based on a DWI conviction trying to catch a break. I’m tempted to appraise the character in advance, but I think it’s better to see it for yourself.

96AF5888-4020-47CC-84E9-0FC691855174.jpeg

Atomic Blond (2017)- If you are looking for some fantastic melee sequences with a killer female lead (Charlize Theron) wrapped in a good espionage story, involving double agents and a list of agent identities, look no further.

I’ve seen choreographed fight sequences, where the moves are made, but it does not look real, Hana comes to mind. The way this was filmed, wether it was a stylized technical effect or real physical output, Theron projects real force in every strike she delivers. It impressed me. And it could be James McAvoy’s best role.

BFA5CB84-AD2C-40A2-8C33-85AD590296D7.jpeg

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
2 Classics-
Bridge Over The River Kwai
(1957)- One of the 2 best William Holden films about a British Officer so blinded by rules that he loses sight of the big picture in a Japanese WWII prison camp.

8031D45C-6154-498C-88F6-9BC7D284E124.jpeg

Hawaii (1966)- Based on the tremendous 1959 Michener Novel, the main characters, Rev Hale (Max von Sydow) you want to strangle, and his wife Jerusa (Julie Andrews) you want to hug. I know this is history, but the way human beings have historically treated each other, disgusts me.

B20E4202-43A7-40C1-A890-4FCF10952497.jpeg

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Pale Blue Eye (2022 Netflix)- Excellent murder mystery set in the 19th Century West Point Military Academy as a retired detective (Christian Bale) investigates the murder of a cadet. And shocker, a historical setting in the US, featuring Cadet Edgar Allen Poe that’s actually filmed in the US, even if it’s not Upstate New York, close enough.

E22E0647-35D2-4999-97CF-E3C1AF5F2484.jpeg

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Elvis (2022)- Excellent, sad, outstanding performance by Austin Butler.

F9ABF48D-F1CB-47BA-802B-AE42CBE73502.jpeg

Harriet (2019)- Excellent. Listening to people whine about those uppity slaves who are ruining their livelihood, falls flat making me rhetorically ask, just how selfish can some people be? Very… selfish.

F1515FD0-9536-4B21-9544-0F6E1D9869D3.jpeg

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Avatar: the last water bender. Well, maybe "the way of water". It was big and colorful and full of excitement, and maybe a bit light on anything else. No unobtanium this time, but it seemed like Cameron couldn't decide if the driving force was revenge, magic goo or just because the earth is dying. I liked it ok.

Top Bottom
1 2