2024 Democrat Presidential Candidates

I don’t think there is such a thing. Republicans support Trump - either wholeheartedly or reluctantly, but it’s going to be close. I’m not sure it would be all that different if it were Jeffries or Newsom - the right would manufacture something and it would stick - perhaps inexperience (remember, it doesn’t have to be true or make any logical sense) - and then democrats would bite their nails wondering if we should have went with an experienced known quantity (aka an old dude, aka Biden).

And if Biden visibly degrades further? Or has a serious medical event (a stroke)?

Then what?

To answer your question, it's because shit happens, as it did above. And can very easily happen again. I'd prefer that anything and everything be done to maximize the odds of that not occurring. Should trump (or even desantis) win, the United States and democracy would be in peril, far greater than it was in 2016.
So your rationale for not wanting Biden is that A) some people dislike Harris, and B) shit happens?

And if Biden visibly degrades further? Or has a serious medical event (a stroke)?
We’ll cross that bridge if we get to it. Meanwhile, what if you degrade further or have a serious medical event and can’t vote? It starts to sound ridiculous after a while when you only focus on a single person.

Then what?

Any candidate will come with baggage, but at least we know Biden's; he's old. Any democrat is going to be called corrupt because Trump is corrupt and they have to prop him up by making it appear everyone is as bad or worse, so the whole Hunter Biden/Impeachment thing is a moot point. If it was Jeffries or Newsom, they'd have dirt on him and a manufactured scandal to "prove" he's the most corrupt candidate in history. Then we'd have a whole different issue to worry about.

It seems like republicans are controlling the narrative on telling democrats how to think, giving this impression that Trump is the winner and its their race to lose. I have my concerns about Biden and its not that these concerns over his age aren't shared or are just manufactured republican BS, it's a real concern many share. But then you look at their guy who's 77 and losing his mind, and Biden already defeated Trump pretty handily, and I don't think it was an accident. The accident was in 2016 when Trump became president without the support of the American people. From a logical standpoint, it seems to me the person who beat Trump once is a good bet to do it again, but the press would make you believe Trump is the incumbent and we're putting our last resort against him. No, that's what we did last time. 😁

Also, hate to sound like a broken record, but other than the normal slowing that age does, Biden is still fine. That's not me being an apologist, that's just watching him. Trust me, nobody had to be convinced on Biden more than me, but the biggest reason my fears are far lessened than others on here is because I watch and listen to the guy.

So your rationale for not wanting Biden is that A) some people dislike Harris, and B) shit happens?

Regarding A)... What? No, of course not. That's not even close to what I said.

Yes, shit can happen again as it did in 2016 when Clinton was leading in the polls and trump ended up winning four years in the White House.

And with that all of the racial/religeous/etc. hate and discord that's been stirred up as the result of trump winning. If that's not enough there was a massive change in Supreme Court makeup with trump's three Supreme Court picks, with the result of Roe being overturned. Yes, shit does happen and it can easily happen again if trump wins.

trump can win again with far greater awful consequences, as he's made it clear what his plan would be going forward if elected.

Thus, I'd like to maximize the chances of that not happening. I've watched Biden slowly physically, degrade over the last four years - especially over the last year. If he should suffer a serious medical event, then it could very well be a repeat of 2016.

Trust me, nobody had to be convinced on Biden more than me, but the biggest reason my fears are far lessened than others on here is because I watch and listen to the guy.

I do too. Very closely. It's not the content of what he says. I'm totally on-board with that and have a ton of respect for him as leader with decades of foreign policy and legislative experience. There are few more qualified, if any. And he's a genuinely decent person.

However, closely watching Biden, his gait and speech degrading, gives me great concern; especially over the coming year, up to the primary. Something we'll have to disagree on.

We’ll cross that bridge if we get to it. Meanwhile, what if you degrade further or have a serious medical event and can’t vote? It starts to sound ridiculous after a while when you only focus on a single person.

If I degrade or have a serious medical event, the United States won't be put in peril with trump winning again, as he did in 2016. With far more adverse consequences this time around.

Yes, I focus on what can lead to the above happing. Again.

From a logical standpoint, it seems to me the person who beat Trump once is a good bet to do it again, but the press would make you believe Trump is the incumbent and we're putting our last resort against him.

Why the press doing this? It can't be because they want Trump back.

So is it based on polling that tells them that? Not the incumbent part, but that Biden is losing support among all demographics including Black and Hispanic voters.

So is it based on polling that tells them that? Not the incumbent part, but that Biden is losing support among all demographics including Black and Hispanic voters.

Yep. It's the press reporting polls, which are notoriously inaccurate at this stage.

On the average I don't think that influences many people. Nor do I believe the press is scheming against Biden.

Yep. It's the press reporting polls, which are notoriously inaccurate at this stage.

On the average I don't think that influences many people. Nor do I believe the press is scheming against Biden.

Polls, no. But stories about them get clicks which is now the goal.

Of course the press isn't scheming against Biden. They save that for Trump.

BTW...

Regarding all of the above... should the November 2024 matchup be between Biden & trump, with Biden winning:

I'll *gladly* accept all the Nah Nah Ni Nahhh Nahhhs I deserve. :) :) :)

Hopefully by then, trump will be stored away somewhere being forced to accept the hospitality of a federal prison warden.

Last edited:
Polls, no. But stories about them get clicks which is now the goal.

Of course the press isn't scheming against Biden. They save that for Trump.
Trump deserves all the criticism he's getting from the press. Forget the indictments, his narcissism, the horrible way he treats people, including former colleagues, his constant lying, any of which should disqualify him as a candidate. He's promised to emulate authoritarian rulers by using the government to go after anyone who crosses him, and he means it. If that doesn't demand DEFCON 1 warnings from anyone who cares about our democracy, the rule of law, and common decency, I don't know what does.

Not saying Trump doesn't have a chance, but....

With each passing year it seems like polls are becoming more useless and in certain social circles and environments people won't admit who they are actually going to vote for. The news media demands a horse race and they'll do whatever it takes to create that perception.

With each passing year it seems like polls are becoming more useless and in certain social circles and environments people won't admit who they are actually going to vote for.

I half agree with this. ;)

For polls related to who someone is going to vote for, they are notoriously unreliable. Probably because the modeling of the data is an inexact science. Some will guess right, most will guess wrong. And it's not like they don't know what they are doing, but predicting who exactly will vote is hard. Add to that the Bradley/Wilder effect and the results are even more unreliable.

But polling people opinions are easier because there is less modeling. Poll Blacks who they support and the polls will be fairly accurate because there is no modeling. Poll people on who they think is better at the economy, D or R and the results will be a good representation because there is no modeling.

We won’t do that. We’ll be too busy thanking every god ever invented for guarding the Republic.

Yeah...I know. Just thought I'd inject a little levity to lighten up the conversation. :)

Well, this is interesting, to say the least.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/05/politics/biden-fundraising-sprint/index.html

I guess Biden means Trump presents such a danger that he has to run, but it also suggests he thinks he has a better chance of winning than other Democrats. If he's trying provide cover for someone else to get in the race if Trump doesn't get the nomination, it'll probably be too late by then.

Well, this is interesting, to say the least.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/05/politics/biden-fundraising-sprint/index.html

I guess Biden means Trump presents such a danger that he has to run, but it also suggests he thinks he has a better chance of winning than other Democrats. If he's trying provide cover for someone else to get in the race if Trump doesn't get the nomination, it'll probably be too late by then.

I saw that on the PBS News Hour this afternoon. Not sure what to make of it, or what Biden has in mind.

Back