Apple Event 4/20

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
And they're off... Digging the airtags, interested to see how well it works. Still haven't even looked at what's new with iPhone.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
My gut tell me a new display tech, with a nice new physical design, but effectively a Mini All-in-One (in terms of performance / capacity).

My gut agrees with your gut.

Just as they did with the first batch of M1 machines, Apple will start with a baseline model just to get things started, let the first-adopters get their hands on it and also to appeal to those purchasers who really only need and want just a baseline model in the first place, are perfectly happy with a small-capacity SSD and 8 GB RAM.

High e-Five :D

I'm waiting to read what is improved with the Apple TV, besides a possibly better remote.

A12, faster refresh rates, new remote, but one of the coolest things:

You can use an iPhone and color calibrate your TV by way of your AppleTV, so it provides "pre-output" color calibration - that's badass, so many TVs are potentially excellent, but come with a terrible factory calibration, and not really any "pro grade" tools to correct, so you tweak a few things in the user menus, or call a pro service for $300 (who may still not have access to the service menus, etc.)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
And they're off... Digging the airtags, interested to see how well it works. Still haven't even looked at what's new with iPhone.

Ordering a 4-pack of Airtags when I can :)

SON__OF__A__BITCH

1618943144920.png

OK ... :D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah, I saw that after the fact, hahahaha ...

I'm going to order a 4-pack, and just a couple of the cheapie Belkin holders for $12.95.

I'd like to put a 4th Gen ATV in the landing room (it has an ancient 3rd gen), move the 4K from the main TV to the little G's room (she has a 4K set) and replace the main one with this newer model. The color calibration thing has me super stoked.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Yay for the thread!

Pretty sure I’ll get myself a new AppleTV after the summer. “Happy Birthday Pumbaa from Pumbaa”. The calibration thingie finally tipped the scales.

AirTags could be of interest too.
I like the calibration, but my TV isn't that good to take advantage. I want to watch higher quality video I'll watch on the iPad which does allow showing 4K movies from iTunes. The question is it enough for me to go to a new iPad Pro? Nothing with the new iPad Pro screamed "YOU NEED THIS NOW!"

I currently don't push my 2018 that I need the power of what the M1 offers. If I don't get it this year, you know next years will always be 50% than the year before. Blah Blah

So the choice is all about THAT screen.

And whether or not I get an unncecessary white keyboard that you know will get dirty.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah, we have a 2018 12.9 too, it's fantastic, little G loves the art/design apps with the pencil. I keep it as my desk for video, audio, runs through a DAC/AMP headphones - but yeah that new one, wow.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
To me that's what makes you realize how good every 12.9 iPad Pro has been.

You really DON'T need to upgrade, you just do it if you want.

I still have my original as well as the 2018. I just save up every 2 years to get a new one, but last year went "why?"

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Was just looking into it. Would LOVE to trade in my current ( keep my original 12.9 for portfolio showing and videos on the go ) and get a new one. I would basically get a new ( 1TB ) one for the price of the entry version.

But...

They are still sending you packages to mail your old one, meaning they are using Phobos. NO FUCKING WAY! Apple needs in store trades at their kiosks. No one should have to gamble on whether Phobos screws them over after the fact.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
To me that's what makes you realize how good every 12.9 iPad Pro has been.

You really DON'T need to upgrade, you just do it if you want.

I still have my original as well as the 2018. I just save up every 2 years to get a new one, but last year went "why?"
I would love to be able to upgrade but the pandemic hit me hard financially. So I keep using my 1st gen iPad Air. It does everything I need for the time being so it's all good.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
They are still sending you packages to mail your old one, meaning they are using Phobos. NO FUCKING WAY! Apple needs in store trades at their kiosks. No one should have to gamble on whether Phobos screws them over after the fact.

Tell me more. I was going to trade an Apple notebook, and that's the 3rd party source they use in my area (not sure if it's different based on location), was kind of iffy on it not being Apple directly.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Tell me more. I was going to trade an Apple notebook, and that's the 3rd party source they use in my area (not sure if it's different based on location), was kind of iffy on it not being Apple directly.
Just search MR for Phobio. Despite their recent article, people have been complaining about Phobio for years.
Basically the warning from most members is to avoid Phobio at all costs.

One reason NOT to get a new Apple TV, it's coolest feature is coming to older ones. Now just have to hope I can buy the new remote seperately.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
One reason NOT to get a new Apple TV, it's coolest feature is coming to older ones. Now just have to hope I can buy the new remote seperately.
Awesome, thanks!

Might still get one after the summer. No. Will probably get one after the summer. Unless the reviews are discouraging.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks!

Might still get one after the summer. No. Will probably get one after the summer. Unless the reviews are discouraging.
I love my 4K one.

I've only wanted two things. A better remote, and the ability to put my own media on it. The second I know I'm not getting, so the new remote satisfies. The Color balance is a nice bonus. I have no complaints about mine. I love how easily it replaced my cable box, just working like a more digital version.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Am I wrong in assuming that the new M1 chips in iPads will make it easy for a quick port of desktop apps? Instantly thinking full versions of Logic and FCP. 😮

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Am I wrong in assuming that the new M1 chips in iPads will make it easy for a quick port of desktop apps? Instantly thinking full versions of Logic and FCP. 😮
I'm thinking that's the real purpose. Making the distinction between apps meaningless.

I'm seeing on Twitter Artist friends are salivating over the M1 Chip & 16GB in 1 & 2TB versions.

Creative apps are going to love all that muscle.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I love my 4K one.

I've only wanted two things. A better remote, and the ability to put my own media on it. The second I know I'm not getting, so the new remote satisfies. The Color balance is a nice bonus. I have no complaints about mine. I love how easily it replaced my cable box, just working like a more digital version.
D'oh! Got my own answer on that. Know what I am ordering on the 30th definitely if it's available.

The new Siri Remote is included with the new Apple TV 4K and will also be sold separately for $59. The new remote is also compatible with the previous-generation Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD. Apple also continues to sell the Apple TV HD with 32GB of storage for $149, and orders placed from today onwards will include the new Siri Remote.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm thinking that's the real purpose. Making the distinction between apps meaningless.

I'm seeing on Twitter Artist friends are salivating over the M1 Chip & 16GB in 1 & 2TB versions.

Creative apps are going to love all that muscle.

That will be pretty great, and unlike Microsoft Apple will probably insist desktop apps ported to iOS will be optimized for a touch screen experience, another reason to give the closed garden concept some praise.

I don’t have money upfront for a new iPad, but I do have an Apple Card and am curious about their advertised payment plan with their card. Is it they only charge you $100 (or whatever) a month or do they charge you $1,000 (or whatever) and just not charge interest if you pay at least $100 per month on your card payment? There are plenty of sites/services/cards that do the latter and IMO no longer special or appealing.

Top Bottom
1 2