Apple Vision Pro…. Anybody buying?

somerandomusername

Power User
Reaction score
I loaded up my cart, hit the apple pay button, then chickened out. I couldn’t see spending $4500 to run ipad apps (but not even all ipad apps - apps I use all the time like youtube are unavailable) and watch 3D movies. If it ran all Mac apps (or at least full-blown versions of office, lightroom, photoshop, xcode, etc.), I might be able to justify it.

One interesting wrinkle from the checkout process is that you buy the thing, then upload your eyeglass prescription later (they ask a few questions about your prescription. Bifocals are fine. Seems if you have an axis correction that may be an issue, though.)
Aweeee, :( i was looking forward to your experience of everything like immersive video and stuff. That’s okay. thank you for at least not being rude to “try it out” with the intention of returning it like I’ve seen some people say on Macrumors a few days ago lol.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Aweeee, :( i was looking forward to your experience of everything like immersive video and stuff. That’s okay. thank you for at least not being rude to “try it out” with the intention of returning it like I’ve seen some people say on Macrumors a few days ago lol.
I’ll probably buy one at some point, but I need to see how the app ecosystem looks, and maybe try one out at the Apple Store.

I have to bring my car in for what may be expensive repairs tomorrow, and that was the final deciding factor :)

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
I loaded up my cart, hit the apple pay button, then chickened out. I couldn’t see spending $4500 to run ipad apps (but not even all ipad apps - apps I use all the time like youtube are unavailable) and watch 3D movies. If it ran all Mac apps (or at least full-blown versions of office, lightroom, photoshop, xcode, etc.), I might be able to justify it.

One interesting wrinkle from the checkout process is that you buy the thing, then upload your eyeglass prescription later (they ask a few questions about your prescription. Bifocals are fine. Seems if you have an axis correction that may be an issue, though.)
Ack! I didn't know there are prescriptions out there without an axis correction! What a limiting thing to exclude.

Edit:
It looks like the limiting factor is if you have a prism value on your prescription. Also there are a couple of medical conditions that will limit the experience. I think I have one of them, make sure you check out the following article before dropping a lot of doh rey me.

Last edited:

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Ack! I didn't know there are prescriptions out there without an axis correction! What a limiting thing to exclude.

Edit:
It looks like the limiting factor is if you have a prism value on your prescription. Also there are a couple of medical conditions that will limit the experience. I think I have one of them, make sure you check out the following article before dropping a lot of doh rey me.
Thanks for posting this link. My prescription expired last month, so it wouldn't be accepted. Also, my vision is much better in one eye, even corrected, so I don't know if that means the AVP won't work. I can't imagine spending this much without being able to try the AVP, even if only with reader lenses. I hope there will be a way to do that.

If this turns out to be impossible for me, I guess I'll have to wait for a direct interface to my optical nerves or visual cortex. :)

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this link. My prescription expired last month, so it wouldn't be accepted. Also, my vision is much better in one eye, even corrected, so I don't know if that means the AVP won't work. I can't imagine spending this much without being able to try the AVP, even if only with reader lenses. I hope there will be a way to do that.

If this turns out to be impossible for me, I guess I'll have to wait for a direct interface to my optical nerves or visual cortex. :)
For me it's an eyelid problem. I don't have drooping eyelids, but something referred to as triple eyelids. Essentially my upper eyelid has a fold due to aging and it hangs down. Never knew this was an issue until memojis came out, and my memoji eyes are always closed. I am guessing that the technology Vision Pro to track your eyes will be similar.

I was told there is cosmetic surgery (elective) that could correct this, but I am not willing to pay the $$$ on the surgery for a $4000 AR device.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
For me it's an eyelid problem. I don't have drooping eyelids, but something referred to as triple eyelids. Essentially my upper eyelid has a fold due to aging and it hangs down. Never knew this was an issue until memojis came out, and my memoji eyes are always closed. I am guessing that the technology Vision Pro to track your eyes will be similar.

I was told there is cosmetic surgery (elective) that could correct this, but I am not willing to pay the $$$ on the surgery for a $4000 AR device.
Under some circumstances, surgical or other treatments for your condition may be covered by insurance. You also may want to check out an AVP at an Apple Store at some point to see if it won't work for you.

somerandomusername

Power User
Reaction score

For what it’s worth, I just learned recently that John Gruber from Daring Fireball has a significant eye issue in one eye and he’s been pretty ecstatic about the product. Here‘s what he said. I hope it helps:

IMG_0716.jpeg

somerandomusername

Power User
Reaction score
IMG_0718.jpeg

I remember when people had reading comprehension and research skills, which would’ve let this fine MacRumors troll discover that it comes with these accessories:

Cover
Solo Knit Band
Dual Loop Band
Battery
Two different sized Light Seal Cushions
Polishing Cloth
30W USB‑C Power Adapter
USB‑C Charge Cable (1.5m)

and that other head worn products, notably the Facebook Quest 3, do not come with multiple headbands (for example), and force you to buy a $129 headband to, from what I’ve read, make the experience of wearing It even semi-tolerable.

Typical low intelligence, low effort comment lol

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Though I'm stoked Apple is moving forward on AVP and believe it will be a success (in both the short and distant future), I'm glad I'm waiting. Right now it would be a distraction getting in the way of other things I want/need to do this year.

Next year, when developers will likely have a lot of intriguing apps available, I'll reconsider. It will be great seeing apps and interesting use situations develop with time during 2024.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

Trying to score a pre-order for a $3,500 face computer? Good luck: Apple appears to be out of stock of Apple Vision Pro headsets, at least for the moment, in every city and state. Every geographic region I’ve tried around the United States has the same message:

“There's no availability within your location. Please try another search.”

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score

Trying to score a pre-order for a $3,500 face computer? Good luck: Apple appears to be out of stock of Apple Vision Pro headsets, at least for the moment, in every city and state. Every geographic region I’ve tried around the United States has the same message:

“There's no availability within your location. Please try another search.”
i still have one in my cart. If i order now, it’s saying I’ll receive it right around my birthday in march. :)

I’m finally bringing my tesla in for service tomorrow (suspension warning light and drivetrain service light keep coming on - I’ve been delaying for a year because my last service experience was so bad), and if the repair for the drivetrain is not $7000 I will probably place an order for the AVP. That said, it’s perfectly possible the car repair will be $7000, so…

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they're going for the Windows Phone strategy they used back when that was a thing.
What strategy is that?

Windows Phone *only* let people write apps in C#, and only against Silverlight. Kinda hard to share code with iOS/Android which both allowed C/C++. And things like React Native didn’t exist yet. Supporting Windows Phone by itself would almost be as expensive as iOS *and* Android combined. It wasn’t a great developer platform.

That doesn’t apply here.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
YouTube refusing to have a Vision app when they have one on the Quest 2... 🙄
I think it was probably a mistake for Apple to allow developers of iPad apps to opt out of them running on Vision Pro, but I guess we’ll see.

thenewperson

Reaction score
What strategy is that?

Windows Phone *only* let people write apps in C#, and only against Silverlight. Kinda hard to share code with iOS/Android which both allowed C/C++. And things like React Native didn’t exist yet. Supporting Windows Phone by itself would almost be as expensive as iOS *and* Android combined. It wasn’t a great developer platform.

That doesn’t apply here.
Oh, I wasn't clear. I meant Google. They refused to build any apps for WP7, killed all 3rd party YT apps, and downgraded the web experience of all their properties even though IE could handle them. I'm wondering if this is the strategy they (and other companies highlighted) are taking.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
i still have one in my cart. If i order now, it’s saying I’ll receive it right around my birthday in march. :)

I’m finally bringing my tesla in for service tomorrow (suspension warning light and drivetrain service light keep coming on - I’ve been delaying for a year because my last service experience was so bad), and if the repair for the drivetrain is not $7000 I will probably place an order for the AVP. That said, it’s perfectly possible the car repair will be $7000, so…
I got as far as doing the assessment for fit testing in the Apple Store app just to see what it entailed. But I can't see myself putting down $4K or so without trying one at an Apple Store, even if it's only with reader lenses. I also want to see a few independent reviews, which should appear fairly soon. In the meantime, I'm going to update my eye prescription, just in case.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Too rich for my blood. Looks unbelievably cool and would be amazing to sit in the recliner and listen to some music or watch movies, but I have no business even thinking about buying such a device.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Looks like “Office” will be available. Very pretty, but looking closely at it it seems to be based on the iPad codebase (not really a surprise).

tomO2013

Power User
Reaction score
I very recently had to take a flight back to Ireland with my MacBook. I was reviewing some work on a python/Django/HTMX/AlpineJS/Tailwind project and was fortunate enough to be flown business so I had a little more room than I'd normally get on such flights.

Nevertheless, I was reminded how I wish Apple would let us dual boot iPad OS with Mac OS and in turn it would be super cool if Apple allowed you to dual boot Vision OS with Mac OS.

It would be amazing to just bring a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and a Vision Pro for the 'multi monitor' experience on such long haul flights.

Yes I know you can do it mirroring your MacBook to your Vision Pro but that requires you to bring both devices! Also I'm aware that there is little to no change of Apple offering a dual boot Mac OS and iPad OS option or for Vision OS, but a person can dream. :)

Top Bottom
1 2