Broadcom buying VMWare

mr_roboto

Site Champ
Reaction score
This deal doesn't make much sense to me. I might be dense but I don't understand what Broadcom gains by having VMWare under the same roof.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
This deal doesn't make much sense to me. I might be dense but I don't understand what Broadcom gains by having VMWare under the same roof.

I’m not sure, either, other than Avago has turned into a conglomerate. You have all the old Avago stuff, then the Broadcom stuff, some stuff from Infineon, etc. I guess there is some synergy with their data center hardware business.

gollum

Power User
Reaction score
Dell spun them off last November. I wonder how strong their market is, having been independent for only 6 months is strange.

Dell keeping Vmware made sense, as they offer the converged infrastructure called vblock,, where you got a server, storage and virtualization in a turnkey solution. Yet Vmware was cut loose

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
This isn't a good acquisition for people who have VMware as a strategic technology. Broadcom is a predatory vendor, and when they took over Computer Associates (CA) a few years back they took on some of the tactics of that company. Raising maintenance contracts, not adhering to agreements already in place, and not negotiating with companies. Bad news for us.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
This isn't a good acquisition for people who have VMware as a strategic technology. Broadcom is a predatory vendor, and when they took over Computer Associates (CA) a few years back they took on some of the tactics of that company. Raising maintenance contracts, not adhering to agreements already in place, and not negotiating with companies. Bad news for us.

This is the sort of thing that worries me the most. I’m reliant on VMs at the moment for test environments and VMWare is how I’ve been doing it as I’ve not been that impressed with Parallels when the goal is reliable and management friendly.

Top Bottom
1 2