COVID Stupid

I always struggle with this personally, I would never advocate for anyone's death just because I have a different political belief. A good example is Rush Limbaugh, did he deserve to die because I have a different political view? Absolutely not and I have never supported that sort of language.

On the other hand I hear my wife say "If they refuse the vaccine and die as a result then so be it", which I also really disagree with. However, unlike cancer or some other heinous disease, dying from COVID is now nearly 100% avoidable for those who choose to vaccinate. It's REALLY hard to understand why people would take such risks.
They are putting others’ lives at risk as well. The school fight in Texas and Florida especially. Kids under 12 cannot get vaccinated yet, and some governors are making it illegal to protect these children. In many areas, it appears school boards care more about the kids than about an edict from their governor, and are breaking the law. An excellent example of civil disobedience. Of course, in Texas we also cannot teach kids about current events and how such civil disobedience is an important part of our nation’s history… due to recent “anti-CRT” laws.

I always struggle with this personally, I would never advocate for anyone's death just because I have a different political belief. A good example is Rush Limbaugh, did he deserve to die because I have a different political view? Absolutely not and I have never supported that sort of language.

On the other hand I hear my wife say "If they refuse the vaccine and die as a result then so be it", which I also really disagree with. However, unlike cancer or some other heinous disease, dying from COVID is now nearly 100% avoidable for those who choose to vaccinate. It's REALLY hard to understand why people would take such risks.
No one wants to see anyone die, or at least I would like to think. A jaded reality tells me differently though. That for some there is an indifference for the loss of life of OTHERS, rationalizing it away that it was somehow the 'others' fault. Which brings us to the difficult situation many of us find ourselves with. Other people are actually at fault for their dying, by making a spectacle of not doing something that may save their lives. The irony isn't lost on me, but instead constantly wears until it begins to exhaust & make one apathetic.

The other irony of course is that this is perfectly in keeping with how things were before, but with a fatal twist. One side is always expecting the other 'to be the bigger person' in any situation, after telling you "f- your feelings, man up, and be PERSONALLY responsible".

😑

Do I wish anyone to die? No. Nor do many others like myself. At the same time, those leading to charge to fill ICU beds didn't have an issue with others dying early. "It's just like flu." "If it's your time." Remember it was a certain Lt Gov who just got done blaming his states's issues on less than 15% of his state's population, which makes NO FUCKING mathematical sense. Before that it was people from another country bringing in a virus that was already in his state. Many forget also that it was the year before the same guy was positing that the most vulnerable older people should accept dying, for the good of the economy & country. That's some sympathy.

😑

When we talked more often about the total number lost at the other place, of who died from Covid, we talked about the total. We had a nationwide memorial of sorts when Biden got into office for those who passed. We talked about how frightening the number lost was in comparison to natural disasters & wars. What's one reason for doing that? Because it's easier.

Because when you add ( wait for it ) CONTEXT, it isn't so easy.

We remember the bus driver who stayed on the job during the height of Covid, while passengers came on the bus unmasked, and HE was the one who died. That's truly heartbreaking. Meanwhile we've got politicians playing games for points, who catch Covid & THEN an epiphany. PERHAPS if that politician didn't play games masks may have been more acceptable earlier and the bus driver would still be driving despite the risks like a true hero. Perhaps vaccines would be some political litmus test.

Instead we will find others who will want to point out we should feel sympathy for EVERYONE no matter what, or WE are the bad guys.

No.

I'm NOT having it.

IF one wants to trot out speeches about "personal responsibility" when it applies to others, or "it's their body" is only relevant when it pertains to THEM...

Spare me. You lost me and my concern. There are so MANY trying soooo hard to keep EVERYONE alive, and a few want to shit all over that. Because of their feelings...

The FUCKING vaccine is free. Many of these so called 'hesitant' have already had other vaccines BEFORE this. This getting so deep in one's feelings is one thing if it ONLY harmed them. It doesn't, it harms EVERYONE. It's only when on death's door they suddenly give a fuck about ANYBODY else. It's too late. Who knows how many they infected along the way, that infected others. that infected others...

Leading us to be in a worse position when we did NOT have a vaccine that we all hoped would end this, but some decided.... :brickwall:

I have some slight dwindling sympathy for those passing of their own devices. Many a times perhaps more sympathy they had for their fellow man before they got Covid.

But there's no shame to be had, because those same individuals are making me more & more apathetic.

Get the FUCKING vaccine! The gov't they supposedly hate so much is supplying it for free. You may not give a shit about others unless it's to blame them for their fuck ups, but they say they care about their families. THEY are the ones risking their families and the families of others in the neighborhoods. Not a minority. Not people from another country. Not old people.

THEY ARE.

I maybe exhausted with this shit, but I'm still rooting for people to live.

While some of those same people tell me to "fuck off"...

YOU should NOT have to struggle with this. Yet, that's what others would have you do, when they couldn't be bothered if the shoe were on the other foot.

The party that quotes "We the People" while pursuing voter suppression, is the first to accuse others of tyranny...

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1429281122253512707/

and catch irony.

Not only that but threatening to remove school officials and even cut off state aid to schools whose boards have mandated mask wearing despite state level instructions to contrary. Talk about tyrannical.

The problem is we shouldn't even be talking about tyranny, which is a political construct. The management of the covid_19 pandemic is a public health matter. Guidelines are evolving as the course of the disease and its immunity and mutation situations also evolve.

One might normally have thought that the public would accept guidelines flexing as a matter of necessity, but then that would assume an acceptance of how science applied to an evolving situation works.

"The public" doesn't really accept anything lately. We tend to be divided now along partisan lines and of course mainstream and other media are picking up on that and amplifying it.

Not sure how we dig ourselves out of this except by taking morons to court over individual idiocies, taking new voter suppression laws to court in advance of the midterm primaries, and then trying to have a regular ol' midterm election in 2022... maybe in some red districts there'll be an effort to flush some of the worst and most vocal social media trolls out of Congress and elect more middle of road Republicans.

I was going to say the red districts might "elect more Republican women" but then I remembered MTG and Boebert. There are more like those two out there and for sure some of them will be running in 2022 unless the RNC or state chairs start signaling maybe the charm has worn off their approach. Bet there's a lot of internal polling going on all the while about whether we're all gettin' tired of the drama and the bullshit.

Are you all really rooting for people to die?
I’m rooting for our species. I’m rooting for people to be smart and worthy of the being the custodians of the Earth, but by most standards today, we are collectively self destructive failures.

You can get all weepy about personal losses, but if you look at the big picture, look at the changes in our environment brought about by humans, and then wonder about the odds of the human species surviving at all, think in terms of we>me, and realize that stupid hurts us, is a roadblock to our species survival.

I have sympathy for those loses, but I have more concern for our self destructive ways and trashing this jewel of a planet, especially in the face of wide eyed, willful stupidity. For this basic challenge, COVID, look at the brilliance of vaccines created in a year. Then compare that to the level of willfull disregard for science, logic, reality, and truth: that these vaccines are effective.

Consequently, I believe we as a species would be better off if this was a more deadly disease because then, a lot more people would sooner take this crisis seriously, and just maybe we’d be hindered less by stupid in the process, roadblocks to our survival.

Keeping in mind that THE ANSWER is staring us in the face, readily available, yet we struggle, why?

Are you all really rooting for people to die?

I've expressed a similar sentiment. So I have no problem taking this.

No, I don't want people to die.

At the same time, I know there's a core group out there that will resist ALL attempts to get them to do the right thing. I wish they would open their eyes, but they won't. And they're the ones that are going to keep spreading it and raising the odds of a worse variant appearing. While I don't want this bottom group to die, if they're never going to be convinced, and they're going to continue to pose a risk to the rest of society, I won't be sad when they get what's coming to them.

So yeah, I hope those who can be saved are saved. For the rest? If each death causes a single person to reconsider their position, then that death was a net gain for humanity.

It's a harsh attitude. But the virus doesn't really give a damn about my feelings. It's going to keep on going till it's done. So I stand by "Hurry up and collect your Darwin Award." The rest of the world needs to move on, not get drug down with them.

I’m rooting for our species. I’m rooting for people to be smart and worthy of the being the custodians of the Earth, but by most standards today, we are collectively self destructive failures.

You can get all weepy about personal losses, but if you look at the big picture, look at the changes in our environment brought about by humans, and then wonder about the odds of the human species surviving at all, think in terms of we>me, and realize that stupid hurts us, is a roadblock to our species survival.

I have sympathy for those loses, but I have more concern for our self destructive ways and trashing this jewel of a planet, especially in the face of wide eyed, willful stupidity. For this basic challenge, COVID, look at brilliance of vaccines created in a year. Then compare that to the level of willfull disregard for science, logic, reality, and truth: that these vaccines are effective.

Consequently, I believe we as a species would be better off if this was a more deadly disease because then, a lot more people would sooner take this crisis seriously, and just maybe we’d be hindered less by stupid in the process, roadblocks to our survival.

Keeping in mind that THE ANSWER is staring us in the face, readily available, yet we struggle, why?
If the human race gets wiped out by climate change, other species will survive and the earth will heal because there will be no more human pollution. We are fighting for our species‘ survival more than the planet’s survival.

If the human race gets wiped out by climate change, other species will survive and the earth will heal because there will be no more human pollution. We are fighting for our species‘ survival more than the planet’s survival.
There is a real question about how much damage we’ll do before we bite it. The worse would be a large scale nuclear exchange.

240385065_2082318978573634_3597657589692114450_n.jpg

That is being ambivalent about it, which is completely different than rooting for people to die or being happy they died.

Went to Hollister this weekend to visit my parents. It's about an hour south of the Bay Area. It's surrounded by agriculture land and at some point probably leaned more right, but over the last couple decades it has become a hot spot for people to move from the Bay Area because the houses are cheaper. My parents moved there about a decade ago and in that time they've continually been building new houses. Entirely new neighborhoods pop up at about a rate of 1 per year. So politically it's probably more spit than right leaning.

Having said that, it seems masks aren't really a thing there. We went out to each twice. The first place was a middle of the road burger/bar place. The staff were wearing masks but nobody else was, even coming in or leaving the building. More to my surprise at the most high end restaurant nobody was wearing a mask, not even the staff. It's a a county outside the Bay Area so maybe their mandates are different.

The experience made me feel grateful that I live in a county where the people are mostly on the same page and lean towards health and safety. I can't imagine living in an area ruled by ignorance or where you might come under attack for going either direction.

The party that quotes "We the People" while pursuing voter suppression, is the first to accuse others of tyranny...

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1429281122253512707/

and catch irony.

The issue I have with Pelosi's edict was that at the time she issued it, it only applied to the House floor. Masks were not required anywhere in the offices or corridors. Just where there were TV cameras. That tells me it was for show.

The issue I have with Pelosi's edict was that at the time she issued it, it only applied to the House floor. Masks were not required anywhere in the offices or corridors. Just where there were TV cameras. That tells me it was for show.
You dislike mask wearing, and you dislike Pelosi. That’s the actual “problem“ you have with the “edict.”

As for the actual facts about the mask order in question:

Gotta wonder where you’re getting your info from….

You dislike mask wearing, and you dislike Pelosi. That’s the actual “problem“ you have with the “edict.”

As for the actual facts about the mask order in question:

Gotta wonder where you’re getting your info from….

Actually, here are the facts.

Pelosi issued a mask mandate for the House floor in May AFTER the CDC Guidance removed it for vaxxed individuals:

This is the one that only applied to the House floor, but not any of the offices or corridors. (I posted two links so hopefully one won't be paywalled)

Pelosi, not the House doctor, then removed that mandate in June (Ok, technically the article said Democratic Leaders but that is Pelosi)

And this is the new one issued, as you noted, by the House doctor:

So if you can find where I am incorrect, please let me know. So I stand by what I posted that the inital mandate was for show. My sources are the WaPo, LA Times, NPR and The Hill. Sorry there is no Fox, OAN, NewsMax or Breitbart to attack. The Hill is kind of in the middle, but their article isn't that important to my point.

Perhaps if you weren't so eager to jump on what I posted you could have done a little research first. Like I did.

Actually, here are the facts.

Pelosi issued a mask mandate for the House floor in May AFTER the CDC Guidance removed it for vaxxed individuals:

This is the one that only applied to the House floor, but not any of the offices or corridors. (I posted two links so hopefully one won't be paywalled)

Pelosi, not the House doctor, then removed that mandate in June (Ok, technically the article said Democratic Leaders but that is Pelosi)

And this is the new one issued, as you noted, by the House doctor:

So if you can find where I am incorrect, please let me know. So I stand by what I posted that the inital mandate was for show. My sources are the WaPo, LA Times, NPR and The Hill. Sorry there is no Fox, OAN, NewsMax or Breitbart to attack. The Hill is kind of in the middle, but their article isn't that important to my point.

Perhaps if you weren't so eager to jump on what I posted you could have done a little research first. Like I did.
You completely changed the topic. The tweet you replied to was about the July 27 mask mandate. YOU made it about some past mandate that long since expired.

You completely changed the topic. The tweet you replied to was about the July 27 mask mandate. YOU made it about some past mandate that long since expired.

You are correct. I did not notice the date on that tweet. My bad.

But it does not change my assertion that the first one was for show.

... So, unvaccinated, infected people are sent home? Surely this is only for asymptotic/'mild' symptom cases? If they come in struggling to breath, surely they're not being told to go quarantine at home?
they should be.

Their "beliefs" should have consequences and not absorb the limited resources we have to treat those who have taken the precautions

No sympathy from me. They are what are keeping the outbreak going and infecting others. Should be criminal

You are correct. I did not notice the date on that tweet. My bad.

But it does not change my assertion that the first one was for show.

Your assertion is wrong. From the link you posted:

She isn’t easing the requirement because it’s not known how many House members and their staffs are vaccinated, said her spokesman, Drew Hammill.

The new CDC rule was that vaccinated people didn’t need masks. Because a bunch of dipshit Congress-critters like Boebert and their ilk are so anti-vaccine, there was no way to know whether people coming onto the house floor were vaccinated or not. She COULD have required proof of vaccination for people coming onto the House floor, but there would have been backlash against that too. At least the “everybody wears a mask” wasn’t singling out the anti-vaxxers…

There’s no winning with the anti-mask, anti-vaccine crowd. No matter what you do, they will whine and cry. That’s because it’s all about their feelings, not about public health and safety.

Well, we’re all back to masks all the time again because of the anti-vax assholes. And you have the temerity to blame Pelosi? Get a clue, wake up and smell the bullshit.

Back