Electric Vehicles: General topics

U

User.45

Fisker PEAR (I know, *snicker*) reservations opening up.

“Our customers want to take a step into the future with us.” – Henrik Fisker

Our designers imagine how we will move through cities in the future, and we’ve created a category-breaking urban lifestyle vehicle.

The Fisker PEAR is an Agile Urban EV: the future of clean and affordable individual mobility for cities.

Conceived as a mobility device rather than a conventional car, the Fisker PEAR is an electric vehicle for global citizens and young urban innovators. Its futuristic and minimalist concept blends sustainability, technology, and design, while defying classification into any existing market segment. Intelligent and digitally connected, the Fisker PEAR EV’s future-forward features deliver intuitive control and sporty driving.

The Fisker PEAR breaks design conventions. We weave in the very latest updatable tech and wrap it in a compact mobility device approximately 4500mm long that still has clever storage, room for five, and many industry-first features. Affordable, agile, and styled for city living, the Fisker PEAR launches the Personal Electric Automotive Revolution.

We expect to begin the first deliveries of the Fisker PEAR in 2024. The starting price will be $29,900**, before any incentives. As with any product under development, we’ll release additional details and specs closer to deliveries.

Again, that's $29,900**, before any incentives

Super interesting!
expected 2024.... I'm curious about the longevity of this this scheme of whoring for preorders for something that will arrive probably semi obsolete into a crazy competitive market.

U

User.45

1644983841853.png

Looks good on paper but then it's either gonna be the range, or the price that will be way underwhelming. Especially with a recent bankruptcy under its belt, I'm twice as skeptical about Fiskers.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
@DT Time to guess when we get a software update to enable the full potential of the matrix headlights.......

:D
Will I not be included here or is it just for you guys who have FSD (with all the bells and whistles) enabled? I had this on my BMW and seeing where you're turning isn't just a great feature, it's also safer.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Looks good on paper but then it's either gonna be the range, or the price that will be way underwhelming. Especially with a recent bankruptcy under its belt, I'm twice as skeptical about Fiskers.

Yeah, Fisker is a bit of wildcard, even their previous exotics were always kind of viewed as interesting, even beautiful designs, but pretty mediocre in terms of actual automotive implementation.

That 3rd tier of the Ocean is a pretty attractive price point, there's a 4th tier with a much lower range, but the $49K model has nearly the range (the 10 mile difference must be the solar roof), and it's still very well optioned.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
Will I not be included here or is it just for you guys who have FSD (with all the bells and whistles) enabled? I had this on my BMW and seeing where you're turning isn't just a great feature, it's also safer.

Yeah your Model 3 has the matrix headlights too.

This regulation allowing matrix headlights is more than just the lights turning in a turn. This would allow you to keep high beams on all the time, but the car would see oncoming cars and turn the lights down that are in the line of sight of the incoming car. No car in the US is capable of doing this because regulations made it illegal. They finally updated the regulations.

It's how in light show, the headlights are able to project Tesla.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Yeah your Model 3 has the matrix headlights too.

This regulation allowing matrix headlights is more than just the lights turning in a turn. This would allow you to keep high beams on all the time, but the car would see oncoming cars and turn the lights down that are in the line of sight of the incoming car. No car in the US is capable of doing this because regulations made it illegal. They finally updated the regulations.

It's how in light show, the headlights are able to project Tesla.

Awesome, what a great use of technology.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
This is interesting too, and I bet we continue to see more of this sort of idea - during the Superbowl, FPL (Florida Power and Light, power/utilities company), ran an ad about their adoption of EV tech, deploying chargers, etc., but one service is for flat rate charging, specifically for off-peak, but like $20/month regardless of consumption.

There's a few assumptions since the details haven't been released, like are there actually maximums, and another being, you'd have to use their EVSE since that would have the required monitoring/metering, but if they don't offer a Tesla connector (and only a J1772) that clearly alienates a large group of EV owners who'd prefer not to use an adapter / would lose functionality.

(My hope for the latter is if this becomes a thing, they'll open it up to 3rd party chargers, either through smart services, or a specifically metered outlet or something)

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Have that on my VW. Never thought it was a big deal until I moved into the country. Now it’s essential with no street lights!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
This isn't a store?

That's more like a roadside peanut stand ... :LOL:

They're talking about an open "app store" not unlike Apple, a place for 3rd party apps, opening up the API to developers outside of Tesla, etc. Definitely watch the video, it's pretty amazing, that guy has done a ton of visualizations that are terrific, he needs to be hired (by Tesla).

A store like they describe is no small endeavour, but without CP or AA, relying on the OEM to extend features puts extra burden on them, if I were in charge of product development, I'd absolutely do it.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
I would love an app store. And I would be curious though if Tesla would tie in such a feature into the premium connectivity package. It would certainly increase the value of the $10/month subscription if Tesla doesn't raise it to $50 a month just cause......

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
That's more like a roadside peanut stand ... :LOL:

They're talking about an open "app store" not unlike Apple, a place for 3rd party apps, opening up the API to developers outside of Tesla, etc. Definitely watch the video, it's pretty amazing, that guy has done a ton of visualizations that are terrific, he needs to be hired (by Tesla).
Yes, very expensive peanuts.

I did watch the video and adding apps to a store doesn't seem like it would be a problem, the issue is what apps with they allow? Still can't even get Carplay or Sirus XM, as you mentioned, until they open themselves up it really seems pointless.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I did watch the video and adding apps to a store doesn't seem like it would be a problem, the issue is what apps with they allow? Still can't even get Carplay or Sirus XM, as you mentioned, until they open themselves up it really seems pointless.

There's some pretty major effort involved an app store, from building out all the developer API / support docs / toolkits, evaluating how they're going to sandbox the system/functions, curation, etc. It's quite a bit different vs. internal development. If they even considered something like this, it would be more like CP, or even (Ford) Sync apps, where it's not open to just anyone, there's specific developer control / licensing.

I'd love a Tesla "native" app for: ABRP, Plugshare, Dark Sky, any podcast app (Overcast, whatever), Tessie or Teslascope

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Top Bottom
1 2