Electric Vehicles: Tesla specific talk, current firmware, purchasing, modifications

• Thread starter Thread starter DT
  • Start date Start date
Did you want a stainless steel nightmare of silly angles? Well, good luck with that. You can buy the $100K top-of-the-line model today, but lower-priced models are not obtainable. And reportedly, inventory of what they have is stacking up.
Or as they put it on The Daily Show “A Delorean whose mom smoked during pregnancy” :ROFLMAO:

1723922291944.png

Free streaming and web browsing… All for $5,000!

Wait…wut?

1724207497813.png

Free streaming and web browsing… All for $5,000!

Wait…wut?

View attachment 30970
And you can't browse while driving your "fully automated" car that makes sure you have your hands on the wheels and eyes on the road at all times without setting off a bunch of alarms. You seriously can't even look at your phone.

Here’s a new one for the “cybertruck is a piece of shit” chronicles. Guy got a shock when charging his cybertruck. Turns out the whole body is at 120V above earth whenever he plugs in the charger.

Here’s a new one for the “cybertruck is a piece of shit” chronicles. Guy got a shock when charging his cybertruck. Turns out the whole body is at 120V above earth whenever he plugs in the charger.

Apparently he's not the only one who's been shocked.

How the hell do you get away with making the body live?

How the hell do you get away with making the body live?
I think that is pretty standard in ICE vehicles: basically the whole vehicle serves to carry ground current. I could see the body of an EV being AC neutral – except, the motors are typically 3-phase, so there is not really a real neutral leg.

I think that is pretty standard in ICE vehicles: basically the whole vehicle serves to carry ground current. I could see the body of an EV being AC neutral – except, the motors are typically 3-phase, so there is not really a real neutral leg.

Well aware, but that means the body's potential is at 0V relative to the 12V battery. In the case of the EV, the body shouldn't be part of the current loop of the HV battery. Voltages are just too high for that. Still will be in the loop for the LV battery (Tesla has been moving to something other than 12V IIRC). And the body should be attached to the AC charger's ground, if memory serves. Not live.

Well aware, but that means the body's potential is at 0V relative to the 12V battery. In the case of the EV, the body shouldn't be part of the current loop of the HV battery. Voltages are just too high for that. Still will be in the loop for the LV battery (Tesla has been moving to something other than 12V IIRC). And the body should be attached to the AC charger's ground, if memory serves. Not live.
It has to be an unintentional short caused by a manufacturing defect (or some sort of damage). No way the body should be at 120V. If your feet are grounded and you touch a body panel, you’d potential get 48A running through you.

It has to be an unintentional short caused by a manufacturing defect (or some sort of damage). No way the body should be at 120V. If your feet are grounded and you touch a body panel, you’d potential get 48A running through you.
It seems like it speaks to their QA, which is notoriously bad. There are already a lot of videos out there showing how poorly the truck is built.

Just one example, from a Tesla fan no less.

I don't think the human body's resistance is quite that low (estimates are in the hundreds of ohms, not the 2.5 ohms required to get 48A from a 120V source), but it still low enough that 120V can induce currents that can stop your heart. But yes, exactly this: There is no way the body should be at 120V.

The question I would have is how did this not trip the EVSE's ground leakage detection? The only way I can think of is that the AC charger relies fully on the J1772/J3400 ground, and the AC circuit is isolated from the LV, much like the HV circuits are. So connecting the body to L1/L2 wouldn't provide a return via the ground pin. Although such a return path seems like it would help, so long as the AC input and the HV DC are properly isolated.

GEICO, the second-largest vehicle insurance underwriter in the US, has decided it will no longer cover Tesla Cybertrucks. The company is terminating current Cybertruck policies and says the truck “doesn’t meet our underwriting guidelines.”

GEICO, the second-largest vehicle insurance underwriter in the US, has decided it will no longer cover Tesla Cybertrucks. The company is terminating current Cybertruck policies and says the truck “doesn’t meet our underwriting guidelines.”
LOL

Consumer Reports just got their Cybertruck, and in their first impressions they wrote this...

Our Cybertruck does a good job at keeping wind and road noise at bay. However, the electric powertrain makes a whining, beeping noise between 30 and 40 mph that sounds like Beaker from the Muppets is trapped in the frunk. When the rear steering is active, you’ll get even more whirring noises.
🤣

I was thinking about trading mine in on a different EV but Musk can't keep from totally fucking over every current owners with his hairbrained failed experiments.

Link

Tesla shares drop 8% after Cybercab robotaxi reveal fails to impress​

Back