General High blood pressure

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
At the age of 51, I’ve historically had normal BP, but a doctor’s visit a few days ago showed a BP of 178/108. The person taking it was puzzled and tried the other arm with a similar result. She told me to keep an eye on it, which I have for a few days with visits to the pharmacy using a BP machine they have. The last two days showed 140/97 and 150/96 this morning, and this was without caffeine or working out prior.

Using an app from my medical network, I can look at my BP from 5 visits I’ve had this year (4 for the same hip issue I have, different story). In February, it was 132/85. All further visits were from April and after, and it rises. This coincides with me taking this supplement.

Athletic Greens, powdered vegetables, with about 75 ingredients, about as highly recommended as these things come, and expensive. I’ve been feeling fantastic since taking it, more energy and alertness. I find nothing online that draws a connection between this product and elevated BP but, to be safe, I’m off it for now. I bought a BP cuff on Amazon along with a multivitamin for men 50+.

This has hit a nerve with me because my father had a stroke a bunch of years ago, which is BP related, so I’m jumping on the problem now. It’s frustrating because I’ve felt good, exercise regularly, blah blah.

Any of your BP stories or wisdoms, I’d be curious to hear.

U

User.45

At the age of 51, I’ve historically had normal BP, but a doctor’s visit a few days ago showed a BP of 178/108. The person taking it was puzzled and tried the other arm with a similar result. She told me to keep an eye on it, which I have for a few days with visits to the pharmacy using a BP machine they have. The last two days showed 140/97 and 150/96 this morning, and this was without caffeine or working out prior.

Using an app from my medical network, I can look at my BP from 5 visits I’ve had this year (4 for the same hip issue I have, different story). In February, it was 132/85. All further visits were from April and after, and it rises. This coincides with me taking this supplement.

Athletic Greens, powdered vegetables, with about 75 ingredients, about as highly recommended as these things come, and expensive. I’ve been feeling fantastic since taking it, more energy and alertness. I find nothing online that draws a connection between this product and elevated BP but, to be safe, I’m off it for now. I bought a BP cuff on Amazon along with a multivitamin for men 50+.

This has hit a nerve with me because my father had a stroke a bunch of years ago, which is BP related, so I’m jumping on the problem now. It’s frustrating because I’ve felt good, exercise regularly, blah blah.

Any of your BP stories or wisdoms, I’d be curious to hear.
How did your labs look? It contains green tea extract (can contain caffeine and theobromine [though neither of these should really cause hypertension without predisposition]). It also contains licorice extract, which to susceptible people can cause mineralocorticoid excess, hyperkalemia and hypertension.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I had a small blood pressure scare here a couple years back. It wasn't all that bad in retrospect, jumping up to the 140/90 ballpark for no apparent reason. I went to my doctor about it, since heart issues run heavily on my mom's side of the family, and she prescribed me Lisinopril. Now, I'm usually floating somewhere around the 115/75 range.

What's weird about me is that my BP tends to spike at night. I've seen it go from 100/60 in the morning, stay around the aforementioned range throughout the day, then jump up to 135/85 at night. My doctor doesn't seem to be too concerned about it, but did mention it's weird.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
How did your labs look? It contains green tea extract (can contain caffeine and theobromine [though neither of these should really cause hypertension without predisposition]). It also contains licorice extract, which to susceptible people can cause mineralocorticoid excess, hyperkalemia and hypertension.
No labs since taking the supplements, unfortunately.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I had a small blood pressure scare here a couple years back. It wasn't all that bad in retrospect, jumping up to the 140/90 ballpark for no apparent reason. I went to my doctor about it, since heart issues run heavily on my mom's side of the family, and she prescribed me Lisinopril. Now, I'm usually floating somewhere around the 115/75 range.

What's weird about me is that my BP tends to spike at night. I've seen it go from 100/60 in the morning, stay around the aforementioned range throughout the day, then jump up to 135/85 at night. My doctor doesn't seem to be too concerned about it, but did mention it's weird.
Do you still take the Lisinopril?

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have traditionally had extremely low blood pressure. Like 108/57 average low. About a year ago I went for a regular visit and my BP was 160/85. The doctor had me monitor for a month and return. No change. She then put me on Amlodipine. Still on it.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I had Normal BP till my esophagus went nuclear amp its jumped up around 150/90 or so. even three years later after I am far healthier then I have ever been is still is around 135/85 though it has been dipping lower. docs have no clue why it has stayed up. exercise is helping and to eating carbs. its my only tool I cant eat anything new on a daily basis my body wont allow it.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Get labs! (Comprehensive metabolic panel).
Labs didn’t show anything. They advised medication but I’m taking a month to try to get it down with a few lifestyle changes, part of which will be a potassium supplement once Amazon delivers.

I learned my readings wouldn’t have been considered officially high before they changed guidelines a few years ago. Readings for the last week have been 130ish over 90ish, seems to be ticking down. So this is a good opportunity to tackle it in early stages.

U

User.45

Labs didn’t show anything. They advised medication but I’m taking a month to try to get it down with a few lifestyle changes, part of which will be a potassium supplement once Amazon delivers.

I learned my readings wouldn’t have been considered officially high before they changed guidelines a few years ago. Readings for the last week have been 130ish over 90ish, seems to be ticking down. So this is a good opportunity to tackle it in early stages.
Forget the K supplement, it will make your kidneys work harder for no great reason. Exercise, restrict table salt (NaCl / sodium chloride), hydrate well, fix your sleep, reduce your alcohol intake, meditate. The best long-term policy is weight loss, for about every 10 pounds your BP will drop 10 mm Hg (AFAIR). And if you wanna take a pill, just take a low-dose antihypertensive. Bear in mind that your diastolic pressure of 90 is still considered hypertension and that the ideal BP is like 110/75 and below.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Forget the K supplement, it will make your kidneys work harder for no great reason. Exercise, restrict table salt (NaCl / sodium chloride), hydrate well, fix your sleep, reduce your alcohol intake, meditate. The best long-term policy is weight loss, for about every 10 pounds your BP will drop 10 mm Hg (AFAIR). And if you wanna take a pill, just take a low-dose antihypertensive. Bear in mind that your diastolic pressure of 90 is still considered hypertension and that the ideal BP is like 110/75 and below.
Thanks very much! The weight loss is interesting, I’m at 175, 5’11”. I’ve long thought 170 is ideal for me, but maybe I’ll make 165 a goal. Hadn’t considered that one of my options, really.

U

User.45

Thanks very much! The weight loss is interesting, I’m at 175, 5’11”. I’ve long thought 170 is ideal for me, but maybe I’ll make 165 a goal. Hadn’t considered that one of my options, really.
Even though you are indeed within the normal weight category, you could not go wrong with 165 as long as you can achieve it via a helthy diet and exercise. One of the quickest fixes are improving sleep, BTW; which helps promote weight loss too.

U

User.191

My blood pressure has almost always been totally fine - which is good because my old man had hypertension which, alongside his diabetes and alcoholism, caused his death in his early 60’s.

That said I’m horrifically overweight and don’t sleep enough. I also have arrhythmia to boot.

Still think I’ll be killed by a falling toilet seat from a space station at 58.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I made some progress with lifestyle changes, getting good readings at times of day that were previously high. But one thing I couldn’t make a dent in was the morning hypertension.

So I gave in and started with Lisinopril. Took half a pill last night per doctor’s orders. This morning for the first time, I got 118/81. Doctor said a rough goal was 120/80. All morning readings prior to this have been significantly higher.

So that’s it I guess. Feels anticlimactic but I’m happy for the result. I’m going to keep the lower salt/alcohol and no caffeine thing going, just seems smart. I’m now a guy that takes a pill everyday. Loving my 50s.

U

User.45

I made some progress with lifestyle changes, getting good readings at times of day that were previously high. But one thing I couldn’t make a dent in was the morning hypertension.

So I gave in and started with Lisinopril. Took half a pill last night per doctor’s orders. This morning for the first time, I got 118/81. Doctor said a rough goal was 120/80. All morning readings prior to this have been significantly higher.

So that’s it I guess. Feels anticlimactic but I’m happy for the result. I’m going to keep the lower salt/alcohol and no caffeine thing going, just seems smart. I’m now a guy that takes a pill everyday. Loving my 50s.
No worries, saying this from experience, it's much much better to be the guy on a pill in your 50s, than to be the guy in a wheelchair in your 60s from a stroke. Best of luck!

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
This is my average range and my weight averages 175 to 180 in my mid 50s, however, it (and my pulse) does go up significantly when I go to the doctors sometimes because I am always pretty nervous there. At home though it's never an issue, I walk pretty much every day and try to take care of myself.

Top Bottom
1 2