ICE Vehicles: General topics

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
My parents drove stations wagons for years -- I grew up with them and, yes, it's really too bad that they fell out of favor and that now we have the monster SUVs hogging roads and parking lot slots instead.

AFB, this is so exciting, it's really happening!! Before long you'll be the owner of a brand new electric car! Wheeeee!
I’m so excited. Never ordered a new car before.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
That Passat I had had the biggest boot of any car I have owned and our SUV’s are tiny compared to those sold in North America. The boot on this Audi isn’t too bad to be honest either. I’ll probably move away from an estate once the kids have left home and don’t come on holiday with us anymore.

Station wagons as you call them or estates here in Europe are really popular here. I think if I win the lottery I’d be buying an Audi RS6 Avant. All the fun of a sports car but with a boot lol.

The lack of gloss black on the interior is most welcome lol. Good luck with the purchase. I suppose it’ll be a few months before we see pics.
Mid April. Then I’ll be all over it!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I’m so excited. Never ordered a new car before.

It's pretty fun to do at least one time. I've had some used cars that were so unused, they were more or less "new", but the experience of being the first owner with an actual NEW car is pretty special :D

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
It's pretty fun to do at least one time. I've had some used cars that were so unused, they were more or less "new", but the experience of being the first owner with an actual NEW car is pretty special :D
Indeed. Getting to choose the specifications you want rather than making do are certainly more appealing. But I’m not thinking about the car after this one for a long time!

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
It really is fun to have a brand-new car! After I got home with Celeste I took photos of her and looked her all over, and that evening before closing the blinds looked at her parked out there......first thing when I arose the next morning I eagerly opened the blinds and gazed at her again, still amazed that after fifteen years I'd finally bought a new car. I took more photos of her that first full day at home, and pored over the manual and looked at all the bits inside her, studied the configuration options, played with setting up a couple of things which hadn't been already been done at the dealership, and changed a couple which had been.... It was like having a new computer, but this one comes with four wheels!

I think it was about a week before throughout the day I stopped periodically looking at her out the bedroom window. I still look at her last thing in the evening and first thing in the morning though, when closing or opening the blinds....

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
It really is fun to have a brand-new car! After I got home with Celeste I took photos of her and looked her all over, and that evening before closing the blinds looked at her parked out there......first thing when I arose the next morning I eagerly opened the blinds and gazed at her again, still amazed that after fifteen years I'd finally bought a new car. I took more photos of her that first full day at home, and pored over the manual and looked at all the bits inside her, studied the configuration options, played with setting up a couple of things which hadn't been already been done at the dealership, and changed a couple which had been.... It was like having a new computer, but this one comes with four wheels!

I think it was about a week before throughout the day I stopped periodically looking at her out the bedroom window. I still look at her last thing in the evening and first thing in the morning though, when closing or opening the blinds....
Well I'm sure I'll be doping a fair bit of that. Of course at the moment I'm looking at wall charges which will be my next purchase!

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
attempting to look as if it can go off-road. But the industry certainly sold it well.

We were riding off-road at Windrock Park in TN a couple of years ago. We were back at the trailhead when a recovery company was bringing in a Jeep Compass that had certainly seen better days.

Seems that since it had a badge on it that said Trail Ready, they thought they could take it anywhere a regular Jeep could go. Nope, they rolling it and then it got absolutely trashed being pulled back up the hill.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
My 2012 Fiat 500:

View attachment 4947
not my image​

...with 50k miles on it developed 2 oil leaks, one at the forward engine seal and another in the vicinity of the oil pump. Is that common, or is this a case of Fix It Again Tony? Fortunately I purchased a lifetime maintenance warranty though MOPAR at the time of purchase ($3k).

This car waited for 3 weeks to get parts. Now the interesting part, although warranty company approved the repair, in the process of disassembling the engine, they came across a bolt that has seized (I think it is in the vicinity of the camshaft) and they were worried that they would break a sprocket (?) and when they asked MOPAR, MOPAR would not cover this because “the bolt as is was not broken”. What the hell?

I would describe a seized bolt as defective and if it hinders a repair, the expense of replacing it should be covered IMO.

Now the estimate cost of this bolt if broken is $50, which obviously in the big picture, is a drop in the bucket, but MOPAR nor the dealer would cover this expense, and they expect me the customer to pay for this? From my perspective this is not about cost but principle, and it’s absolutely chicken shit that they are refusing to cover it.

MOPAR has a dispute board where I will file a complaint, and I will check with my lawyer, but $50 is not worth a lawsuit.

Thoughts?
Did this thread always say ICE, or did the OP change it? You made me look up ICE- internal combustion engine. 😛

Ref 2012 Fiat 500, the dealer has the car, they said it is a bent sway bar as a result of impact. I said I’ve not had any accidents or impacts that I can remember except driving over some spots in the road that make the suspension bottom out. You might remember, I have a lifetime mechanical warranty on this car, but that won’t be covered, $1100 to fix. My local mechanic says he can fix it for $800.

Then the dealer says your drive train bushings are leaking grease. I asked how much is that and they said $4000, but it is covered by your warranty. So far it appears by virtue of the warrant I purchased when the car was new, I’ve dodged some significant bullets. It drives well, and gets good gas milage, but if I had had to pay for these repairs out of pocket, at 50k miles, the car would have been traded in when the engine went.

Of note this:
The Fiat 500 is a small, durable car that can last on average between 200,000 – 250,000 miles when properly maintained and driven conservatively. Based on an annual mileage of 15,000 miles, you can expect 13 – 17 years of service before it breaks down or requires expensive repairs.

Vs this:
Fiat Chrysler vehicles, including Fiat, Dodge, Chrysler and Ram, finished generally near the bottom of the pack, as brand's go. Fiat 500L was the least reliable single model.

Ulenspiegel

διπλωμάτης
Reaction score
In many-many reviews Fiat 500 considered to be a good-to-drive and reliable car.

We tend to forget about Murphy's law.

(I have been using iPhone since the start. Never ever had a problem with any version. Up until now. The phone is in the service. It happens. I wish you luck, mate).

P.S.: Hunt, the steering wheel is on the wrong side in this Fiat 500. :p

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Did this thread always say ICE, or did the OP change it? You made me look up ICE- internal combustion engine. 😛

It was changed :D Figured it would be good to differentiate EV vs. ICE specific topics, cars, etc.

Funny enough, for years, ICE was used to refer to In Car Electronics, you know, stereos, monitors (hahaha, gaming consoles ...), I think I still have a show display for my Supra that has a section labeled ICE :D The first time I saw it used in the more current context, I was equally baffled.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
It was changed :D Figured it would be good to differentiate EV vs. ICE specific topics, cars, etc.

Funny enough, for years, ICE was used to refer to In Car Electronics, you know, stereos, monitors (hahaha, gaming consoles ...), I think I still have a show display for my Supra that has a section labeled ICE :D The first time I saw it used in the more current context, I was equally baffled.
In car entertainment I thought?

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Oh, is it? See, I can't even keep it straight. At least __now__ we can use it properly, i.e., for Internal Combustion Entertainment ...

* Yes, I know ...
There was a billboard years ago for a car stereo company (lol who buys those now!). Pictures a man getting friendly with a pretty young lady. It said. Pioneer, Britain’s second favourite in car entertainment.

Had a look online but couldn’t find it.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
In many-many reviews Fiat 500 considered to be a good-to-drive and reliable car.

We tend to forget about Murphy's law.

(I have been using iPhone since the start. Never ever had a problem with any version. Up until now. The phone is in the service. It happens. I wish you luck, mate).

P.S.: Hunt, the steering wheel is on the wrong side in this Fiat 500. :p
Well my model and color, ignore steering wheel location. ;)

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
I ceramic sprayed my car yesterday and need to apply a second coat this afternoon using a product by Hybrid Solutions. I’ve had the spray a month but in good old Britain we’ve not had 2 consecutive dry days in the last month annoyingly. Happy with the finish and clay barred the paintwork first to get the tar and other debris out.

e1959f97a72ed50b068d14a1446bd480.jpg

Top Bottom
1 2