iMac rumors

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sounds like the iMac coming next is 27” and not 32” as previously rumored. Makes sense to me - they are going to want to do miniLED, and the price increase for 32” is probably too much. I figure they announce the 27” and a new Mac mini (with the glass top) at the same time, along with the rumored 27” external display.

Then, later on, comes M1 Ultra for the Mac Pro and perhaps for a 32” iMac.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Huh. I would've really figured on a ~25% size increase for the larger iMac, so at least around 30", but yeah, maybe price and/or component constrained.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I just hope they aren’t in those pastel colors.

I've always wanted to see a wide range of "gray scale" colors, like white, bright/light silver, maybe a medium glossy gray (like Audi Nardo gray), dark metallic gray then an actual deep black.

I realize some of those would be fingerprint magnets, so, umm, stop touching them :D

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
But do like the Space Gray iMac. Just can't justify the Pro price.

Honestly I have an old iMac sitting in my home office - I never use it. I used to be a desktop-only guy (because laptops were always much less powerful), but over the years I transitioned.

What’s fascinating about the Apple Silicon era is that Apple is essentially giving us full desktop power in portable form factors. So now you can choose based on form factor - do you need portability? A big screen? Ergonomics issues? Maybe you have a lot of things to keep plugged in so you want more ports?

Put the M1 Pro or Max into an iMac and you have an all-in-one that blows away most modular PCs in performance.

I don’t even think they’ll change the clocking - early indications are the M1 Pro/Max run at the same CPU frequency as M1, which is a bit surprising. But M1 single-core speed is pretty damned good anyway.

(Tangent: I really really want a closer look at those efficiency cores. I still don’t think they are icestorms.)

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
A 32" iMac made sense to me, considering the apple display. They could use the not so great panels for a new cheaper ATD and a 32" iMac. This rumour is pushing me to a 14" MBP Max instead. I really need to get rid of my trashcan pro, 15" rMBP and 12" MB now. I can see they are dropping in value every second.

I think the issue is that when a panel isn’t perfect, it’s so bad that they can’t use it for much of anything. But the way yield works on these things, as you linearly increase the area, you exponentially increase the likelihood of failure. So a 5” smaller (diagonal) display would have much higher yield, and thus be much cheaper. (The number of backlighting LEDs also goes down as O(size^2’ish), so that’s another factor).

Keep in mind that we are in the era of Apple giving us what we want (ports, no touchbar, battery life, etc.), so there’s a good chance that the cheaper standalone display really is coming. Release date makes the most sense to correspond to the new Mac Mini (which will have M1 pro/max, Plexiglass top (mac-cube-looking?), etc. But that cheaper display has to be 27” - hard to differentiate with the big display unless they do that.

Now if Apple would just start making airports again, I’d be in heaven.

Top Bottom
1 2