iOS 18

Kinda disappointed in the quality of transcription. It’s pretty poor compared to something like Whisper.
it works pretty well for me not perfect. its better on my mac now. but its new my iPhone is only a 13. should improve with the 16.

well it was a royal pain in the a*$ - I had to update the OS on 5 homepods and 4 apple TV’s, and 2 of the apple TV’s refused to download anything so I had to switch them to beta downloads, and 1 of the homepods decided to just reset to factory defaults for some reason - but after I did all that, and waited an hour or so, finally the option to set a default homekit hub appeared in my home settings. It always sucked when homekit decided some remote homepod made more sense as the hub than a central apple tv with a hardwired ethernet connection.

also, RCS has shown up, but I didn’t realize it was working. I have really only one friend who has Android, and my chat string with her continues to say “SMS.”

couldn’t figure it out. Then i remembered my boss also has android; that chat shows “RCS.”

So I guess not all android phones/carrier support RCS, and whether a chat thread gets upgraded to RCS depends on whether the person on the other side has RCS? I really am not dialed into the android ecosystem…

Just one small thing: I have a the-other-kind for a phone, because I prefer not to live on my phone, and every now and then I get an alert that says "Oh, BTW, the OS just updated" – as compared to the Apple updates that drag you through a bunch of hoops, no, I do not need 2-factor, no, I do not use iCloud, no, I do not want Apple Pay on a freaking iPad.

Just one small thing: I have a the-other-kind for a phone, because I prefer not to live on my phone, and every now and then I get an alert that says "Oh, BTW, the OS just updated" – as compared to the Apple updates that drag you through a bunch of hoops, no, I do not need 2-factor, no, I do not use iCloud, no, I do not want Apple Pay on a freaking iPad.
apple pay on ipad is super-handy for on-line shopping

well it was a royal pain in the a*$ - I had to update the OS on 5 homepods and 4 apple TV’s, and 2 of the apple TV’s refused to download anything so I had to switch them to beta downloads, and 1 of the homepods decided to just reset to factory defaults for some reason - but after I did all that, and waited an hour or so, finally the option to set a default homekit hub appeared in my home settings. It always sucked when homekit decided some remote homepod made more sense as the hub than a central apple tv with a hardwired ethernet connection.
With all those devices, do you have a Mac on your home network set up as an Apple content cache?

If you didn't know about this, it seems to be hidden under Settings -> General -> Sharing these days. A Mac set up as a content cache automatically stores copies of Apple CDN content as other Apple devices download it, removing Internet download speed as a limitation after the first installation of any particular OS update. (So long as the content cache Mac has enough space...)

With all those devices, do you have a Mac on your home network set up as an Apple content cache?

If you didn't know about this, it seems to be hidden under Settings -> General -> Sharing these days. A Mac set up as a content cache automatically stores copies of Apple CDN content as other Apple devices download it, removing Internet download speed as a limitation after the first installation of any particular OS update. (So long as the content cache Mac has enough space...)

yes i do have a mac set up to cache. The problem seems to be that there are at least two different Apple TV OS images depending on which Apple TV you have. I have a mixture of pre-4k, original 4k, and new 4k. The 4k’s seemed to have the biggest problem downloading the updates, and i had to switch them to the public beta to kick-start things.

Ian now attempting to use the pencil to make this post.it does not look like the pencil Ui has become noticeably better or more practical in iOS 18..

Ian now attempting to use the pencil to make this post.it does not look like the pencil Ui has become noticeably better or more practical in iOS 18..

Most of the pencil stuff that has changed was in 17.x - the apple pencil pro stuff. The “write into any text box” thing hasn’t changed much. 18.1 has the “fix my handwriting” stuff.

I just used it to write this sentence. Worked okay.

also, RCS has shown up, but I didn’t realize it was working. I have really only one friend who has Android, and my chat string with her continues to say “SMS.”

couldn’t figure it out. Then i remembered my boss also has android; that chat shows “RCS.”

So I guess not all android phones/carrier support RCS, and whether a chat thread gets upgraded to RCS depends on whether the person on the other side has RCS? I really am not dialed into the android ecosystem…

Looks like groups with some Androids in them are still SMS. So we are going to switch to Signal. We were holding off to see how the RCS works.

Tried again tonight and Sequoia showed up, looks like I just had to wait for it. Upgrading my MBP tonight.

Tried again tonight and Sequoia showed up, looks like I just had to wait for it. Upgrading my MBP tonight.
sequoia installation was surprisingly uneventful for me today. Started it, went to lunch, and it was done when i came back. Only changes I noticed so far are the iphone mirroring icon in the dock and window snapping.

I'm going to hold off on iOS 18 for now. My 12 mini (which sadly might be my last iPhone) is eligible for the upgrade, but my Apple Watch SE isn't eligible for Watch OS 11. I'm concerned that my watch will become difficult to manage. Does that concern seem valid?

I'm going to hold off on iOS 18 for now. My 12 mini (which sadly might be my last iPhone) is eligible for the upgrade, but my Apple Watch SE isn't eligible for Watch OS 11. I'm concerned that my watch will become difficult to manage. Does that concern seem valid?
probably your watch will be fine for another couple years. I had an original apple watch that i wore long after they stopped releasing OS’s for it, and it continued to work fine for quite awhile.

sequoia installation was surprisingly uneventful for me today. Started it, went to lunch, and it was done when i came back. Only changes I noticed so far are the iphone mirroring icon in the dock and window snapping.
Just tried the mirroring and have to say it's impressive so far, really good idea from Apple.

It's ABSOLUTELY a valid concern. Apple totally fucked me in the last year, breaking compatibility with my watch (and far worse, my mom's watch) running OS 9, when upgrading iOS to 17.x. For me, it was easy enough to do the watch update to 10, but there was NO WARNING. *All* my integration with my phone was just suddenly broken. For my mom, it was way harder. She's got dementia and dealing with new interfaces is damn near impossible. This is definitely the most egregious example of contempt for the customer I've personally experienced from Apple.

Now... will this actually be an issue with iOS 18 & watch OS 10? I have no idea. But I would certainly check carefully before doing anything you can't undo. And in fact I will as I'm in the same boat - my watch is the series 4, and 10 is the last version it supports. (If anyone knows for certain about this, please speak up!)

probably your watch will be fine for another couple years. I had an original apple watch that i wore long after they stopped releasing OS’s for it, and it continued to work fine for quite awhile.
I hope so!

It's ABSOLUTELY a valid concern. Apple totally fucked me in the last year, breaking compatibility with my watch (and far worse, my mom's watch) running OS 9, when upgrading iOS to 17.x. For me, it was easy enough to do the watch update to 10, but there was NO WARNING. *All* my integration with my phone was just suddenly broken. For my mom, it was way harder. She's got dementia and dealing with new interfaces is damn near impossible. This is definitely the most egregious example of contempt for the customer I've personally experienced from Apple.

Now... will this actually be an issue with iOS 18 & watch OS 10? I have no idea. But I would certainly check carefully before doing anything you can't undo. And in fact I will as I'm in the same boat - my watch is the series 4, and 10 is the last version it supports. (If anyone knows for certain about this, please speak up!)
Yes, that's my concern. It also upsets me that Apple has excluded the original SE from Watch OS 11, given that the model was still being sold as recently as two years ago.

I hope so!

Yes, that's my concern. It also upsets me that Apple has excluded the original SE from Watch OS 11, given that the model was still being sold as recently as two years ago.
Heh - I had to buy one of those, then the SE2 was released a few weeks later (conveniently just outside of the apple return window) :(. This is the first WatchOS beta I haven't been able to participate in, in quite awhile. :(. Looking forward to getting my 10 on Friday! :)

Oh - my prior Apple Watch was smashed when we were poolside on holiday - so had to rush to get a replacement.

Back