iOS 18

Anyone else notice significant battery drain since upgrading to iOS 18? With average use I would make it most of the day, now I can't even make it 6 hours, and that's with light use.
ios 18 had no noticeable effect on my old iphone 14 pro max. I have 18.1 beta on my iphone 16 pro max and battery has been fine. (It’s at 100% right now, and has been off the charger since 9:30am)

How so? My S6 has been fine, including battery life, which had deteriorated before watchOS 18 was released.
I have a 7 and every day it's around 12% when it comes time to change. I think it's around 20 to 30% sometimes 40

I have a 7 and every day it's around 12% when it comes time to change. I think it's around 20 to 30% sometimes 40
is it charging to 100%, or is optimization on? I noticed that after all the recent software updates, my watch started to charge to 80% again, which I had previously turned off.

Haven’t seen anything here. My ultra is currently at 82%, and my wife’s SE is at 50%, with around 4 more hours to go before we take them off.
I charge them before going to bed so I can use them to record my sleep. but the battery since the update has taken a big hit.

Been a lurker for a while and appreciate everyone’s in-depth conversations and have enjoyed learning more about a lot of things. Figured I can add my 2 cents where I can… 😅

Battery drain behavior after each update is normal. After it re-learns usage habits and re-indexes things, the battery drain will normalize. It’s the same behavior for a while, can’t remember the first time Apple had a support article on it. If you go to Settings > Battery in iOS 18, the new feature they have is telling you that it’s happening.

IMG_2284.jpeg

Been a lurker for a while and appreciate everyone’s in-depth conversations and have enjoyed learning more about a lot of things. Figured I can add my 2 cents where I can… 😅

Battery drain behavior after each update is normal. After it re-learns usage habits and re-indexes things, the battery drain will normalize. It’s the same behavior for a while, can’t remember the first time Apple had a support article on it. If you go to Settings > Battery in iOS 18, the new feature they have is telling you that it’s happening.

View attachment 31507
except on my watch, it has been doing it since the update. so what two weeks now?

I saw it with my iPad on the last public beta (before the GM landed). Battery reporting was attributing it background processes, in particular 1Password syncing for me. Seems like iOS may have been giving too much time to apps wanting to do background fetches?

Here's my battery levels since the upgrade which was on the day of the release and all the heavy post-update usage should be done by now, unfortunately I don't have any historical data (that I can see) before the last 7 days. By midday the drain is bad enough that I have to plug it in again.

IMG_5513.jpg

except on my watch, it has been doing it since the update. so what two weeks now?
My watch has been weird in other ways. It took 3 tries to install watchOS 11. Then today it stopped displaying items from my work calendar, even after restarting it and my phone. So I unpaired the watch, but it didn't "take" - the watch display didn't change from before, though the Watch app said it was unpaired. I had to reset the watch completely and then restore and pair it.

I'm really digging the Photos browser in iOS 18 and my iPhone 16.

At first, from seeing on-line photos of it, I thought it would be tedious to use. It's turned out to be quite the opposite. It's easy to fluidly zoom the grid in and out, and up and down in time, to get to a range or a point in time when looking for photos.

I suspect in the near future that will also be handled by Apple's AI implementation where you can type specific criteria in multiple aspects and photos that meet the criteria will be selected for viewing.

In the meantime, I'm pretty happy with what's offered now.

Attachments

• Photogrid.png
    Photogrid.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
Over at the other place, a user by the name of jo-1 claims there is a huge performance boost in Geekbench AI when upgrading from iOS/iPadOS 17 to 18 and macOS Sonoma to Sequoia:

This boost affects both the M4 and the M1 although to different degrees. I haven't upgraded yet. I'll try to remember to test GB AI before I do. Alternatively if someone has a cutdown an M3 Max on Sequoia they can compare to my results on Sonoma.

Sonoma GB AI 1.1 M3 Max 14" 14-coreSingle Precision ScoreHalf Precision ScoreQuantized Score
CPU383553984752
GPU13347136194229
NPU26091324314543

I do find it interesting that the Quantized score on the GPU is so poor compared to its Half Precision and Single precision performance, that's 8-bit integer performance right?

Last edited:
Resizing widgets in Control Center is not working for me. A bunch also relocated to a separate page against my will. Basically Control Center is not doing anything I want it to do.

Resizing widgets in Control Center is not working for me. A bunch also relocated to a separate page against my will. Basically Control Center is not doing anything I want it to do.

can’t remember trying that on 18.0, but i just checked on 18.1 and they do resize for me.

I'm still on 18.0. Any nits/issues observed with 18.1? And that's a beta, right?
yeah, there’s an 18.1 public beta. Things i’ve noticed:

1) on my ipad, I’ve had a few times where it’s crashed to “springboard” (i.e. the screen turns black, a spinner comes up for a few seconds, and i am back on the homescreeen)

2) on my iphone it keeps putting an icon showing an “ear” in the control center, no matter how many times I remove it.

Other than that, haven’t noticed any problems when compared to 18.0, but your mileage may vary.

yeah, there’s an 18.1 public beta. Things i’ve noticed:

1) on my ipad, I’ve had a few times where it’s crashed to “springboard” (i.e. the screen turns black, a spinner comes up for a few seconds, and i am back on the homescreeen)

2) on my iphone it keeps putting an icon showing an “ear” in the control center, no matter how many times I remove it.

Other than that, haven’t noticed any problems when compared to 18.0, but your mileage may vary.

Right now my iPhone is on iOS 18.0.

What's odd, is if I go to Settings > General > Software Update, I get what the photo below shows. Which I suspect to the average iPhone user looks like a released iOS update for the general public. I've never OK'd getting beta updates. And what's on the screen doesn't say anything about being a beta.

IMG_0065.PNG

Back