iPhone SE not selling well?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Seems to me that the SE is not the kind of device where you expetct a huge initial spike in sales, but if it’s true that they aren’t selling as well as expected that wouldn’t be too surprising; that form factor is well past stale at this point.

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

Seems to me that the SE is not the kind of device where you ex-etc a huge initial spike in sales, but if it’s true that they aren’t selling as well as expected that wouldn’t be too surprising; that form factor is well past stale at this point.

One reason they might not be selling is you can't find one. Wife has had both previous SE's and she likes both the size and the fact it still has a physical button. I was going to buy her one for her birthday, but can't find one to buy.

Edit: I know I can order one, but really want to just go pick it up.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I don't think it's really a "destination" device, I suspect it'll be a cost conscious purchase for new owners, the freebie for new accounts. It's also kind of chunky, it's basically an iPhone 8 form factor (with large non-display areas), so it's not like you get it so you can have a super small device. It just looks dated too, especially compared to the other products.

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram

Seems to me that the SE is not the kind of device where you ex-etc a huge initial spike in sales, but if it’s true that they aren’t selling as well as expected that wouldn’t be too surprising; that form factor is well past stale at this point.
I had an SE 1st gen, moved to an SE 2020… and I have to say, the 2022 does not interest me at all.
Judging by this news, I suspect I am not alone.

One reason they might not be selling is you can't find one. Wife has had both previous SE's and she likes both the size and the fact it still has a physical button. I was going to buy her one for her birthday, but can't find one to buy.

Edit: I know I can order one, but really want to just go pick it up.
Well Apple cutting production isn't going to help then! 🙂

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
The phone wouldn't be a big seller in places that high end iPhones are aspirational devices.

It's an entry phone, or place holder device in areas where not everyone can afford to spend a near $1K & up.

It's also a niche phone, because it's heavily recommended by groups that support the visually disabled. Since Apple's rush to face ID, it's awkward for the blind to use. Having a phone with a tactile device ( unfortunately with security turned off, because if it is on the phone will eventually ask for a code that the blind person won't be able to enter ) makes the SE the preferred device for them. I only know this because I had to purchase one this weekend for a family member that is blind. For $479 a 128GB Apple device is a pretty good deal, with the meager discount for trading in an earlier SE which drops in value faster than you can walk out of the Apple store.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The phone wouldn't be a big seller in places that high end iPhones are aspirational devices.

It's an entry phone, or place holder device in areas where not everyone can afford to spend a near $1K & up.

It's also a niche phone, because it's heavily recommended by groups that support the visually disabled. Since Apple's rush to face ID, it's awkward for the blind to use. Having a phone with a tactile device ( unfortunately with security turned off, because if it is on the phone will eventually ask for a code that the blind person won't be able to enter ) makes the SE the preferred device for them. I only know this because I had to purchase one this weekend for a family member that is blind. For $479 a 128GB Apple device is a pretty good deal, with the meager discount for trading in an earlier SE which drops in value faster than you can walk out of the Apple store.

A few years back we moved my mother in law onto iPhones as she lost her eyesight due to diabetes. Unfortunately she never quite got the hang of it, and now she’s having memory problems so all attempts at teaching her to take advantage of the accessibility features have failed.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah, it's one of those devices they kind of need in their lineup, but not one of those that generate sudden, massive sales. There's this external metric for Apple, that if they're not selling X million devices in Y time frame it's a "failure", but some of their devices are developed for a longer, strategic play, and for very specific markets / use cases.

mr_roboto

Site Champ
Reaction score
I don't think it's really a "destination" device, I suspect it'll be a cost conscious purchase for new owners, the freebie for new accounts. It's also kind of chunky, it's basically an iPhone 8 form factor (with large non-display areas), so it's not like you get it so you can have a super small device. It just looks dated too, especially compared to the other products.
I had an iPhone 7, same form factor, and I wouldn't call it chunky. Very thin and lightweight. The XS Max I replaced it with, though...

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I had an iPhone 7, same form factor, and I wouldn't call it chunky. Very thin and lightweight. The XS Max I replaced it with, though...

We had a 6/6S and a 7 (in beautiful piano black, just semi-recently traded it). I mean in terms of overall dimension vs. the display size, i.e., it's not a super compact device. Like the selling point isn't a small size, it's kind of "small-ish".

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I had an SE 1st gen, moved to an SE 2020… and I have to say, the 2022 does not interest me at all.
Judging by this news, I suspect I am not alone.

Well Apple cutting production isn't going to help then! 🙂

The 2022 only interests her because her phone won't ring. It can be sitting there with full signal, WiFi assist and it won't ring. Drives her crazy. But she like the button so the Mini is out.

On a side note, the offspring was in last week for spring break and she got what she is saying is the last phone mom & dad are going to pay for. She got a 13 Pro. It just seems so much nicer than my 12 Pro.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score

Seems to me that the SE is not the kind of device where you expetct a huge initial spike in sales, but if it’s true that they aren’t selling as well as expected that wouldn’t be too surprising; that form factor is well past stale at this point.
This exactly. The target audience of the SE aren’t the ones to go out and buy a new phone right away. They’ll run their current one into the ground and then buy whatever the newest SE is. The design is definitely dated but I thought that’s what a lot of people liked about it. They’re familiar with a home button and TouchID.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

I went from an SE to the XR in a clear plastic case and the heft took some getting used to... my next probably back to the new SE

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
For some of us, (such as women, those of us with small hands), the iPhone SE is about the only iPhone that is remotely comfortable to use and to carry.

I don't care how "old" (or "stale") the thing looks; it is comfortable to use, and comfortable to carry, something that cannot be said of any other iPhone - many of which are veritable monsters - in Apple's current line up.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
People just don't upgrade as often anymore. Cell phones have matured.

You’re right, I know very few people these days that update their phones under 4 years. My mum just updated her iPhone 6 which she’d had since 2014 lol. She bought the new SE as it’s like her old device which she liked.

If my battery wasn’t as bad as it is on my current iPhone 12, I wouldn’t bother to upgrade this year. It’s less hassle to upgrade and sell it than it is to travel to an Apple Store for me.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
For some of us, (such as women, those of us with small hands), the iPhone SE is about the only iPhone that is remotely comfortable to use and to carry.

I don't care how "old" the thing looks; it is comfortable to use, and comfortable to carry, something that cannot be said of any other iPhone - many of which are veritable monsters - in Apple's current line up.
This 100%. The larger phones are veritable bricks in your pocket. To me, it’s absurd but to each their own. Please do not make the SE any bigger. Touch ID is perfect, don’t fuck with it.

lizkat

Reaction score
This 100%. The larger phones are veritable bricks in your pocket. To me, it’s absurd but to each their own. Please do not make the SE any bigger. Touch ID is perfect, don’t fuck with it.

I expect to continue using my XR as a WiFi device until it croaks or is no longer supported; it's always sitting on the coffee table for reading books, mail, newspaper pieces since I love the clarity of the display. But for phone usage I still prefer the older SE because of the small size and light weight, plus Touch ID seems handier to me for navigation between apps. I'll upgrade to the newer SE when T mobile's ongoing 5G outroll makes a signal inside my house available for the first time. Got my eye on that red one...

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
I had an SE 2020 for several months while I waited for the iPhone 12 I believe. It was a great little phone. I loved how light and small it was. The only thing I didn't like was the battery life and the camera. Other than that, it could do pretty much everything I need a phone to do.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I had an SE 2020 for several months while I waited for the iPhone 12 I believe. It was a great little phone. I loved how light and small it was. The only thing I didn't like was the battery life and the camera. Other than that, it could do pretty much everything I need a phone to do.
I have an SE 2020 I use strictly for work. It's kind of light usage and I would agree that the battery life is kind of bad. For the light usage it gets it seems like I'm constantly charging it.

lizkat

Reaction score
^^^ That's sort of disappointing to hear. I went from a 4s to a 5c to a 64GB original SE before getting my XR. But I scarfed up a second helping of the original SE, choosing a 128GB model off the refurb shelf before they stopped making them... because I like to stash audiobooks on phones and the refurb seemed a really cheap way to have a gigundo dedicated 128GB "bookshelf" of bedtime stories as well as a bunch of music. That SE gets used every night for at least half an hour on a timer, piping something to a bluetooth speaker on my bedside table, even if I fall asleep in the meantime, but only needs recharging every few weeks.

Top Bottom
1 2