Jan 6 Committee Public Hearings

Some pundits are questioning the wisdom of criminal referrals because they'll be viewed by Rs as politically-motivated. But I think it's the committee's duty to report instances where they believe laws were broken. It's up to the DOJ to decide whether to proceed with investigations.

Some pundits are questioning the wisdom of criminal referrals because they'll be viewed by Rs as politically-motivated. But I think it's the committee's duty to report instances where they believe laws were broken. It's up to the DOJ to decide whether to proceed with investigations.

Similarly there are some whispers in the DOJ about what would it say to the world if the US prosecuted and convicted a former President. Um, what it would say is nobody is above the law and there are far more people outside the US (who aren’t white supremacists) horrified by Trump’s presidency and the damage it’s done to our “exceptionalism” reputation both inside and outside the US than people who would be upset if we locked him up.

Similarly there are some whispers in the DOJ about what would it say to the world if the US prosecuted and convicted a former President. Um, what it would say is nobody is above the law and there are far more people outside the US (who aren’t white supremacists) horrified by Trump’s presidency and the damage it’s done to our “exceptionalism” reputation both inside and outside the US than people who would be upset if we locked him up.
Agreed. We wouldn't be the first country to charge or incarcerate former presidents and prime ministers. Here's a list as of August 2022. The problem with Trump is that his rabid followers will see it as a valid incitement to violence, though I think not proceeding would be even worse.

Agreed. We wouldn't be the first country to charge or incarcerate former presidents and prime ministers. Here's a list as of August 2022. The problem with Trump is that his rabid followers will see it as a valid incitement to violence, though I think not proceeding would be even worse.

Every time I see news of some other major world leader getting prosecuted and convicted I think why can't that happen here. There's no shortage of the deserving. Probably the only reason it's possibly going to happen to Trump is because the dipshit is begging for it.

There are far too many people in this country who believe as long as we don’t admit to something then it didn’t happen and that preserves our greatness mythology, no matter how many people were killed by our wars or how many people were exploited by our global neoliberalism. Somehow everybody will ignore reality in favor of nostalgia.

Probably a summary of their findings, release of the final report, and a few criminal referrals.

I wonder if the criminal referrals will be revealed publicly?

I can see where they would be. Can also understand that the DOJ would prefer they not be revealed if they're pursuing prosecutions. Thoughts?

I wonder if the criminal referrals will be revealed publicly?

I can see where they would be. Can also understand that the DOJ would prefer they not be revealed if they're pursuing prosecutions. Thoughts?

I think Joy Reid said they would be voting on the referrals at the meeting, but I may have misheard.

How does referring Trump for criminal charges change anything? Isn't he already under investigation by the DOJ? Trump will cry "witch hunt." The GOP will say it's political, all the while making plans to investigate Hunter's laptop.

Trump's already violated multiple laws just with the top secret documents issue. Enough with the reports, referrals and investigations.

How does referring Trump for criminal charges change anything? Isn't he already under investigation by the DOJ? Trump will cry "witch hunt." The GOP will say it's political, all the while making plans to investigate Hunter's laptop.

Trump's already violated multiple laws just with the top secret documents issue. Enough with the reports, referrals and investigations.

I don't have a problem with that.

Supposedly the DOJ investigation is done in secret without others knowing what's being pursued/investigated. If the Jan6th Committee has compelling evidence and testimony crimes have been committed, information the DOJ might not have, then why not pass it on in a referral?

it’s mainly for the historical record. The DoJ is./will investigate whatever crimes it thinks may have occurred, regardless of any referrals.

Trump defends inciting an insurrection by inciting an insurrection.

Trump Ominously Evokes Jan. 6, Tells Backers It's Time To 'Deal With' FBI, DOJ 'Thugs'​

Donald Trump was slammed for another round of threats and incitement Saturday after evoking last year’s Jan. 6 insurrection — and then telling his followers it’s now time for the FBI and Justice Department “thugs” to be “dealt with.”

So is the Historic Jan 6th Committee meeting today at 1 PM or Dec 20th at 3 PM? Confused... Was on the usa today article and video link said, "Live in 28 hours, Dec 20th at 3 PM."

Last edited:
Starting...

By the way, I've found that PBS (and their affiliates - KQED in the SF Bay Area) offer the best analysis and coverage.

Back