M2 Pro and M2 Max

exoticspice1

Site Champ
Reaction score
The M1 Ultra already matches the 4070 in gfxbench 4K Aztec. The M2 Ultra should beat it easily
Gfxbench is like what Cinebench is to Apple CPUs with regards to Nvidia GPUs.

I would stick to 3DMark or actual games/3D apps.

Cause there no way the M1 Ultra will perform the same as the 4070 ti in games because Wildlife extreme tells a different story. M1 Ultra scores around 35K in wildlife extreme, which is pretty good scaling from M1 Max and as I said the 4070 Ti scores 45K but there is huge price difference.

Since Nvidia GPUs are not found in mobile devices like tablets and phones gfx bench is not optimised for Nvidias GPUs.

Last edited:

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
Gfxbench is like what Cinebench is to Apple CPUs with regards to Nvidia GPUs.

I would stick to 3DMark or actual games/3D apps.

Cause there no way the M1 Ultra will perform the same as the 4070 ti in games because Wildlife extreme tells a different story. M1 Ultra scores around 35K in wildlife extreme, which is pretty good scaling from M1 Max and as I said the 4070 Ti scores 45K but there is huge price difference.

Since Nvidia GPUs are not found in mobile devices like tablets and phones gfx bench is not optimised for Nvidias GPUs.
Ok but people still use Cinebench anyway. I’ll still use gfxbench among others. I’ve never heard anyone say gfxbench is bad on Nvidia.

exoticspice1

Site Champ
Reaction score
Ok but people still use Cinebench anyway. I’ll still use gfxbench among others. I’ve never heard anyone say gfxbench is bad on Nvidia.
That's fine. Nvidia scores very low in gfx bench when compared to other GPU benchmarks.

It does fine in all the other bench's though.

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
That's fine. Nvidia scores very low in gfx bench when compared to other GPU benchmarks.

It does fine in all the other bench's though.
Perhaps gfxbench is the correct one? Nvidia have a history of shady practices. Maybe they “game” their benchmark runs like Samsung did.

exoticspice1

Site Champ
Reaction score
Perhaps gfxbench is the correct one? Nvidia have a history of shady practices. Maybe they “game” their benchmark runs like Samsung did.
Gfxbench focuses mainly on mobile GPUs and is widely used in Android and iOS benchmarking and so it's no wonder Apple GPUs are really great at those tests.

Last time Nvidia cheated in benchmarks was in 2003 I believe and they got caught and stopped doing it.

Plus it would dumb if they did as Ada is great architecture, let the product speak for itself.
And by If they did cheat Gamer Nexus and some German reviewers would have found out by now.

It's really hard to hide benchmark cheating on Windows and Linux and just has bad press associatied with it.

Also the real world test shows using the 40 series such as games and 3D apps back up the 3DMark and Geekbench scores.

Last edited:

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
Gfxbench focuses mainly on mobile GPUs and is widely used in Android and iOS benchmarking and so it's no wonder Apple GPUs are really great at those tests.

Last time Nvidia cheated in benchmarks was in 2003 I believe and they got caught and stopped doing it.

Plus it would dumb if they did as Ada is great architecture, let the product speak for itself.
And by If they did cheat Gamer Nexus and some German reviewers would have found out by now.

It's really hard to hide benchmark cheating on Windows and Linux and just has bad press associatied with it.

Also the real world test shows using the 40 series such as games and 3D apps back up the 3DMark and Geekbench scores.
Well Nvidia's gpus are certainly very good, no doubt. I think it's unwise to praise them too much given their history. Whether they directly cheat in benchmarks, they certainly have taken part in some shady practices, as have many companies.

exoticspice1

Site Champ
Reaction score
Well Nvidia's gpus are certainly very good, no doubt. I think it's unwise to praise them too much given their history. Whether they directly cheat in benchmarks, they certainly have taken part in some shady practices, as have many companies.

That post screams like an AMD fanboy wrote it. Calls hardware ray tracing a gimmick, sure because AMD is behind in it.

Also Nvidia didn't even invent RT. What is that post on about. Some parts are true like Nvidia caught cheating in 2003.

We can make posts like as you said for many companies and the list would be endless. Let's keep on topic.

Ahh that post was posed on r/AMDGPU that place is legit full of AMD bootlickers. They count all the crap Nvidia did dismiss the crap AMD did.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
That post screams like an AMD fanboy wrote it. Calls hardware ray tracing a gimmick, sure because AMD is behind in it.

Also Nvidia didn't even invent RT. What is that post on about. Some parts are true like Nvidia caught cheating in 2003.

We can make posts like as you said for many companies and the list would be endless. Let's keep on topic.

Ahh that post was posed on r/AMDGPU that place is legit full of AMD bootlickers. They count all the crap Nvidia did dismiss the crap AMD did.

I recall the PhysX stuff, and it really was pretty scummy. (And I’m the least AMD-fanboy you’ll find - hell, I caused a major kerfuffle when they bought ATI and that was part of what led me to leave).

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score

Well, I'm not gonna get into calling people fanboys. If you have valid criticisms of the article, I'm happy to hear them.

exoticspice1

Site Champ
Reaction score
I recall the PhysX stuff, and it really was pretty scummy. (And I’m the least AMD-fanboy you’ll find - hell, I caused a major kerfuffle when they bought ATI and that was part of what led me to leave).
Very true. That was scummy. I always like the tech behind the company. The engineers that work on the products. Always look for independent tests as Nvidia and the like do cherry picking.

exoticspice1

Site Champ
Reaction score
Well, I'm not gonna get into calling people fanboys. If you have valid criticisms of the article, I'm happy to hear them.
It's not an article it's a post from r/AMDGPU and frankly only fanboys sub to that post if you see the content they post on that sub.

If someone made a post about Apple like that in r/applesucks you would remain skeptical as it's biased.

As for my issues with the post is that not all of them are issues like the Nvidia introducing Hardware RT.

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
It's not an article it's a post from r/AMDGPU and frankly only fanboys sub to that post if you see the content they post on that sub.
There's also a rather informative video linked in that article which is worth watching. Again if you have valid criticisms of the points raised, then feel free to voice them. I have no dog in the fight between Nvidia and AMD, but let's not pretend Nvidia hasn't acted in a scummy way often.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
There's also a rather informative video linked in that article which is worth watching. Again if you have valid criticisms of the points raised, then feel free to voice them. I have no dog in the fight between Nvidia and AMD, but let's not pretend Nvidia hasn't acted in a scummy way often.

I interviewed at nVidia once. It was bizarre.

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
If someone made a post about Apple like that in r/applesucks you would remain skeptical as it's biased.
I'd like to think I'd view it with an open mind and judge the arguments based on its merits. It's true however that I'm less inclined to view any post positively when words like "fanboy" are used, without attempting to address any substantive point.

exoticspice1

Site Champ
Reaction score
Yeah I am not denying Nvidia has scummy businesses practices, a lot of companies products that I am fan of sadly do too.

I edited my post to reflect some of the criticism. I did watch video it's by AdoredTV who IMO is (sorry) mostly for AMD. He hyped up RDNA 3 so much saying how it will be more efficient than Ada(it wasn't) and also more powerful. It is my take he is part of rumour bandwagon in the PC world and hypes up AMD GPUs as part of his gig.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
how so? if that's all good. I heard Jenson is very much like Steve ruthless and does not stand for failure.

i was interviewing for a chip design job, i think when exponential went under (it’s a bit of a blur). The interviewers were all asking me software questions instead of hardware questions, and had weird ideas about how you design chips. Probably because they really did design chips in the weird ways they were suggesting. Which isn’t a good way to design chips. Anyway…

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
I've spent plenty of time perusing the various AMD, Nvidia, and Intel subreddits. It's mostly people who just want help with their build, advice on what to purchase, troubleshoot an issue, etc. It's the same on the Mac, macOS, and Apple Gaming areas. It's people who need help because they are new to the Mac, are trying to decide which Mac to purchase, or just want to chat about the platform. The fanatical posters are the loudest, but a minority, and I wouldn't dismiss an entire group because of them.
I heard Jenson is very much like Steve ruthless and does not stand for failure.
Jesen's relentless pursuit is to collect as many leather jackets as he can fit in his substantial wardrobe.

Top Bottom
1 2