Macrumors still nuking posts without even so much as a word

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
You saw no such thing, people have left on their own accord and that was their choice. I can count on one hand how many people have been actually banned from this site in its entire existence.
When I post over at MR, I write as if I'm addressing my lawyer or congressman. There are people who go out of their way to agitate, either by design or innate personality, but the mods will always take their side, so I keep my mouth shut. I've never gotten a warning or suspension, but I feel like a damn robot when posting. "Stay on target...stay on target." I don't have to do that here.
right.....when I came here, I noted a lot of comments about moderation at other places......but in a relatively short time I've seen posters banned here for "unacceptable comments".....so ok that's the way it goes
I can only speak for myself, I don't participate in the news and politics section, mainly because I don't find it personally fruitful. Others enjoy the rough 'n tumble, which is fine, it's just not for me. I think that's where a lot of the heat builds up, so there's nothing wrong with a breather, from time to time. I did botch a thread a while back about the Mac Pro, addressed it with Eric, and he was exceedingly cordial about it. In both my private and public conversations with our host, I've found him to be a reasonable, good chap.

Macky-Mac

Power User
Reaction score
You saw no such thing, people have left on their own accord and that was their choice. I can count on one hand how many people have been actually banned from this site in its entire existence. We also rarely ever delete posts for any reason.

ok....so I seem to have hit a sore point. sorry about that.

I'll disagree with you.

you're claiming TBL wasn't banned? for a rather silly juvenile comment as I remember.

that seemed to me to be a bit of very short fused "moderation"......as did your intention to close the politics section because of "toxic" responses to some comments of yours, again, a short fused reaction in my opinion....although I can understand why you were pissed at those comments

But hey it's your board....it's your private operation and you're allowed to do what you want. .......I support that.

If you don't like my view of what I've seen.....ok, that's your right

I just don't think other people should waste their time complaining about moderation on other sites

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

I'll disagree with you.

you're claiming TBL wasn't banned? for a rather silly juvenile comment as I remember.

that seemed to me to be a bit of very short fused "moderation"......as did your intention to close the politics section because of "toxic" responses to some comments of yours, again, a short fused reaction in my opinion....although I can understand why you were pissed at those comments

But hey it's your board....it's your private operation and you're allowed to do what you want. .......I support that.

I just don't think other people should waste their time complaining about moderation on other sites
Your welcome to your opinion. Imo MacRumors excessively moderates and it’s jarring. Threads are topics of conversation, they won’t always stay exactly on point.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Your welcome to your opinion. Imo MacRumors excessively moderates and it’s jarring. Threads are topics of conversation, they won’t always stay exactly on point.
Yep, comparing us (or almost any site really) to them is ridiculous. They're the most restricted and heavily moderated site most of us have ever seen, if we ran ours the same way we would have no members left.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
8 of my posts in repose to others were erased… the sad thing is I can’t even remember what they were talking about specifically. :oops:

A couple of mine as well.

They were OT, but not really way off on a random tangent. At that point, the Andor discussion was ebbing anyway.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I can count on one hand how many people have been actually banned from this site in its entire existence.

Machete.png

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
It's funny - I insulted i7troll the best that I could without going over the line (which, usually gets me a suspension) and they didn't pull the trigger this time. Maybe the asshat has fallen out of favour? :D

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
It's funny - I insulted i7troll the best that I could without going over the line (which, usually gets me a suspension) and they didn't pull the trigger this time. Maybe the asshat has fallen out of favour? :D
That or it just hasn't been reported yet, those guys are experts at trolling (baiting) and reporting in ways they know moderators will act.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
I encountered said individual over on the Mac gaming subreddit, using the same handle. Reddit is far less personal, so it's much harder to get under someone's skin. Said poster acts like a normal Mac user on Reddit, so it's clearly intentional behavior. This person is doing the online equivalent of a pro wrestling gimmick and it's crafted just right to get the reaction and attention they desire.
That or it just hasn't been reported yet, those guys are experts at trolling (baiting) and reporting in ways they know moderators will act.
Never argue with morons. They'll just bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I encountered said individual over on the Mac gaming subreddit, using the same handle. Reddit is far less personal, so it's much harder to get under someone's skin. Said poster acts like a normal Mac user on Reddit, so it's clearly intentional behavior. This person is doing the online equivalent of a pro wrestling gimmick and it's crafted just right to get the reaction and attention they desire.

Never argue with morons. They'll just bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.
Reddit is a different beast entirely and if you troll or bait there you will get downvoted into oblivion by users, not overzealous staff with a hair trigger on the penalization button like at MR.

If you post good quality content and keep your comments positive you'll be rewarded, and over time you'll build a good reputation. If one's goal is to shit on everything they'll never get anywhere and you'll see them self-deleting posts just to stop the downvotes. I get not everyone likes them but I've always been a fan and it's my most used and active site personally.

Last edited:

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
I’m not up to speed on what MR has been moderating and not moderating, but perhaps they just don’t want any COVID-related threads knowing it will likely devolve into problems- both people positing things that require moderation and complaints from users.

That would be my benefit-of-the-doubt assumption.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I'm in jail over there until this afternoon. That's ok.
You get how some of us may have had it coming from time to time (myself included) but there are also so many like yourself who have never been a problem of any kind over the years, so when you hear about incidents like this you just have to shake your head.

I maintain that their loss is our gain, 99% of the users they've banned/penalized are really decent people who have never had any issues here.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
I got a warning a couple of weeks ago for mentioning the word ‘tax’ in the F1 thread. Apparently it was political even though that word is used all over the forum when discussing sales tax etc. My post was barely going into detail and was relevant to a sport where money and budgets are discussed a lot. I had an email exchange with the delightful Steve R who couldn’t justify it but ‘wanted me to understand the rule’. My post was deleted by the weasel and I told them they turn a blind eye most of the time and quite how my post came to their attention was beyond me. It just reminded me once again that it’s a great site on the whole, but some of the people doing the admin behind the scenes are total bellends.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
You get how some of us may have had it coming from time to time (myself included) but there are also so many like yourself who have never been a problem of any kind over the years, so when you hear about incidents like this you just have to shake your head.
I still haven't had the hand of god come down upon me over at MR, but these days I post over here more than there. That place has its uses, such as needing advice on a specific type of cable for my monitor. That's where volume helps, but it means that the mods have an oddly strict interpretation of the rules, and don't handle it on a case by case basis.
I got a warning a couple of weeks ago for mentioning the word ‘tax’ in the F1 thread.
Despite being at MR for years, I had no idea that they had sports forums, or that Talked About was originally formed because of the moderation in their politics forum. Does that still exist? I just kinda assumed that people go to a MacRumors forum to discuss Macs and technology, but I suppose that is my lane and stick to it. Even in the tech forums, I constantly watch myself. I second guess everything, and make sure I don't put anything off-topic or personal in my posts.
I maintain that their loss is our gain, 99% of the users they've banned/penalized are really decent people who have never had any issues here.
I stopped mentioning @Cmaier's insights over at the other place because half of my messages get deleted for "discussing moderation". The other half would make me a target for posters who still dislike him, yet he's not there to defend himself, so I stopped. I don't get it, because Cliff is one of the most mild-mannered people I have interacted with, so there's something rotten going on. Most of the folks there still appreciate what he has to say, but it's like kicking a hornet nest for the mods and a handful of others. I used to link to posts here, as well, as a subtle form of advertising this site, stating that "all reasonable people are welcome", which also irked some.

Regardless, I'm not so much of a refugee from MR, just a pilgrim. I've been posting at MR for years, at Talked About for months, and my post count is higher here than over there.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
right.....when I came here, I noted a lot of comments about moderation at other places......but in a relatively short time I've seen posters banned here for "unacceptable comments".....so ok that's the way it goes

"moderation" is everywhere......and let's not pretend otherwise

seriously, these are privately owned operations........say something that annoys the owners, and they get to "moderate" it out of existence

You saw no such thing, people have left on their own accord and that was their choice. I can count on one hand how many people have been actually banned from this site in its entire existence. We also rarely ever delete posts for any reason.
A little bit of an exaggeration, surely?

Only five fingers?

Perhaps fingers and toes together might be required for this calculation.

I'll disagree with you.

Anyway, for what it is worth, I agree with @Macky-Mac's observations.

And, yes, - and this is also the case with MR - it is @Eric's site, and his to do with as he wishes, something that is also common to MR, Twitter, FB/Meta and so on.

However, I do think that two and a half years after this site has been established, it is high time to move on from complaining about MR.

It is as it is, just as you are as you are.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
At least I got word. 🙃 The latest from MacRumors mod action resulted in a post delete, from the thread Self Checkout: because this could start a political discussion. I call it an economic discussion. 🥳

30% as a tip ("tipflation" is a good expression) sounds absolutely ludicrous.

Actually, for that matter, (to a European) so is 20%.
In some States (I’ve not verified all or even most of them), Capitalism has run amuk. In Texas they passed a law that considers tips as part of the waiter’s income, and the business owner only has to pay them something like $2 an hour. So the business is expecting the customer to pay the employee wages for them. For myself, I normally pay 15-18% but never more than $10 as I’m still in a mindset that simply doing your job is not grounds for a tip, especially handing something to me over a counter as there are tip jars at every fast food place

Top Bottom
1 2