Making the jump from Apple Watch 4 to 7

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Just wondering how many of you are using the latest model and whether or not you think it's worth the jump from a 4. I went from first gen to 4 and the difference was pretty significant at the time and am interested in some of the health benefits it has now.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We both went from a Series 0 (original, pre-ordered), to an S4 for her, and several months later, an S5 for me - the S4/5 are the same other than the OOD of the S5 (it might have more base RAM too).

Neither of us have had any inclination to upgrade, they get pretty regular use for fitness and health, including heart rate/pulse, lots of general use, just haven't seen anything in the next two generations after mine that really motivated me. The O2 function is potentially good, but apparently kind of mediocre in implementation - both of us easily get a long, full day, with constant use - I think there's had to be some kind massive breakthrough in battery life or some seriously improved and/or brand new sensors (glucose) in the near term. Now in the longer term, I imagine like our old watches, old iPhones, they'll start running out of processing power to keep up with the OS advancements, so in the slightly longer term, I'd imagine an upgrade will be on deck.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Like you, my previous watch was a series 0, so the jump to the 4 was significant — the 0 had become barely usable. I went from a series 4 to a series 6 year or so ago, mostly because it didn't cost me anything. The main improvements were the display, speed, and decreased charging time. I rarely use the blood oxygen sensor or other health-related features, though the nags to stand and move are helpful. I like the ability to see my next appointment, look at email, read (and occasionally respond to) texts, and check the weather without taking out my phone.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I would say jumping from the 4 to the 7 would be worth it. I jumped from the 3 to the 6 and it was a massive improvement. The larger display, AOD, and it is significantly faster. Plus all the new sensors and whatnot. I still have the 6. The changes between the 6 and 7 didn't seem to really be worth it. I'm waiting to see what the 8 will offer. I would say it's probably worth the upgrade every 2-3 years. You'll definitely notice the changes.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Oh, A O D ... hahaha :D

I wrote this:

maxresdefault.jpg

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
I went from a 4 to 7 at Christmas. Didn't cost me anything as it was a present. I like the 7 much better, would I have done it if I had to pay for it? Maybe... The always on display is nice, and I like the looks of the blue with the woven band. Sorry about the hairy arm.
IMG_4136.jpg

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I went from Series 0 to Series 3 and the latter is what is on my wrist right now. I had been thinking of getting the Series 7 this year but have now decided to hold off until Series 8, as I really don't wear the thing every day and it works just fine when I do wear it. I basically use it to see what time it is when out-and-about and to be notified of emails and texts coming in when my iPhone is in my purse and I'm driving the car. I'm not a big exerciser and am not into counting my steps and closing the rings, etc.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
the watches offer less and less. this last update only a slightly larger screen it seems.

Well, it's a bit of a tick-tock, not unlike the iPhone, some generations will have more changes, others less. The 7 has a bigger display, with better brightness, much faster charging, more durable front glass, it's less of an update from the 6, but if you're coming from a S2/3, it's a major update.

The Series 8 could double the RAM, increase the CPU speed, add 5G, get 24 hours of battery life and totally change the form factor.

But certainly, it's again, not unlike the iPhone in that you to get to a point where unless there's some major new technology breakthrough, you're only going to get faster, incremental display improvements, improved battery, and no major new hardware.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
I have the 4. I'm using it until it dies. Nothing about the new ones interest me. Seems like the only big difference is AOD. My current 4 meets my basic needs.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have the 4. I'm using it until it dies. Nothing about the new ones interest me. Seems like the only big difference is AOD. My current 4 meets my basic needs.
I only updated my 3 because the battery life was bad once I started riding. but now on my 6 II have 10% left by 7 and I am not even riding the tandem. but I also sleep with it too.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I'm still on my 4. We'll see if this year's offering is tempting or not. I would like the always on display, but not enough to get rid of a watch that suits my needs beyond that.

Plus, it's the year to upgrade my phone and I really want one of the new iMacs rumored to be on the way. So at this point, a new watch is pretty far down the list.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
So far haven't talked myself into an Apple watch. Haven't worn any kind of watch since the 1980s. I like the freedom of not having to wonder where it is. I was forever taking my sturdy but cheap Timex watch off and stashing it "somewhere handy" when it was in my way of some chore that involved committing physical violence on some jar of pickle relish or a TV set or whatever. So I would lose another watch. And I have drowned a few watches giving a thorough bath to a dog or cat in great haste to get rid of the smell of a skunk. On balance this all leads me to believe I cannot ever be trusted with an Apple Watch, no matter how sturdy or smart it may be.

throAU

Site Champ
Reaction score
Still on a 4 here myself, gf has an SE both basically same.

but.... my s4 is getting old and the battery is starting to get a bit tired :-\

Performance wise, I do not think there's been any major leaps since the s4. the s5/s6/s7 SOCs are listed as minor performance improvements according to wikipedia. Mostly the new models are always on display (meh, imho) and new sensors I have no care about.

If your S4 has no major problems, I'd personally hold off. At least until the s8 (my plan, assuming my battery doesn't tank harder)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Mostly the new models are always on display (meh, imho)

Yeah, I have to say, going from a non-AOD to an always on made very little difference to me. If I'm going to look at my watch, it would be in a position where a non-AOD would be on anyway. It always felt like one of those things that people just wanted because "Watches are always visible...", but in real world use cases for me, it's no difference really.

I'm moving forward they'll all the AOD, but no specific reason to upgrade.

throAU

Site Champ
Reaction score
Yeah, I have to say, going from a non-AOD to an always on made very little difference to me. If I'm going to look at my watch, it would be in a position where a non-AOD would be on anyway. It always felt like one of those things that people just wanted because "Watches are always visible...", but in real world use cases for me, it's no difference really.

I'm moving forward they'll all the AOD, but no specific reason to upgrade.
would be nice if it was an option to turn on or off. I'd personally take additional battery life.

U

User.45

I'm a forever sceptic but AW7 is one of the best pieces of tech I own and the only device that makes Siri usable.
I can walk around my home and control my lights. The absolute weakness of these devices is battery life, and the AW7 lasting a day easily regardless of use, and usually 1.5d hits the bare minimum for battery life not being frustrating.

I warmly recommend the update.

Top Bottom
1 2