Site Donor
Reaction score
cool shrub
IMG_1910.jpg

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
this is in a rich suburb they drain the lake in the winter. this expensive place looks great in the summer but man its ugly in winter.
View attachment 1717View attachment 1718
i am not familiar with this practice.
does this help control seepage or erosion? maybe in the spring the area is susceptible to flooding? or does it help keep the summer time water more free of pollutants?

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing. looking it up Now it is drained so much to do some sewer line placement. but. I guess they lower it some each year for maintenance and such. looks like only every three years.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Where is this? Lake Barcroft? Water's Edge? (Both are in Falls Church, Fairfax County, VA). I remember that a few years ago there was some natural disaster which meant that Lake Barcroft was drained completely and it took a while before it was once again filled with water. That is considered a pricey area in which to live, and I'm sure that the residents at the time were not happy at having a big hole rather than a scenic lake! I don't know that much about Water's Edge, except that it is a smaller community than Lake Barcroft.

This topic caught my attention because I, too, live on a very small "lake". -- 4 1/2 acres, which is manmade, and is actually a stormwater retention pond as opposed to being a real lake, but the developer called it a lake. A few years ago there was talk that our little lake/pond might need to be dredged as silt and such was building up quite a bit, but apparently that plan was set aside for the time being, probably because it would have been a very expensive project.

On another topic, though......this is really meant to be a photography thread, with one photo submitted per day, of people's own photos that they've shot that they think others might enjoy as well.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Balloon taking off in Napa early this morning, it was a beautiful day and I was finally able to get a few keepers. The last few outings have left me discouraged so it's a nice boost.

IMG_3083.jpg

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Balloon taking off in Napa early this morning, it was a beautiful day and I was finally able to get a few keepers. The last few outings have left me discouraged so it's a nice boost.

View attachment 1727
0F4984DE-CCF3-42AA-BA92-945F6FBACFC6.jpeg

From the Hot Air Balloon Festival in New Mexico I went to in 2017. It’s the biggest in the country and balloonists and photographers from all over the world attend.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Info on the balloon festival

Other things to do in Albuquerque are they have a great zoo and you can take a Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul shoot location tour.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
One of my early bosses in one of my first professional jobs a thousand years ago eventually retired to Albuquerque -- she and her husband had lived there for a brief time and loved it, knew they wanted to return, and so they did. It really does seem like a wonderful place to live or to visit!

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Oh, wow!!!!! I just noticed this new thing -- "Awards: 1" and thought, "huh? Awards?" and looked up top and saw the Awards tab -- hm, something new, eh? Clicked, saw the listing of categories and that my award is for great photos! Cool!!!! Thanks!! :).

Today's offering:

To the Point.jpg

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Oh, wow!!!!! I just noticed this new thing -- "Awards: 1" and thought, "huh? Awards?" and looked up top and saw the Awards tab -- hm, something new, eh? Clicked, saw the listing of categories and that my award is for great photos! Cool!!!! Thanks!! :).

Today's offering:

View attachment 1802
Another great photo. Yes, you're the first recipient of our new awards system, congratulations it's well deserved! I'm still working on out the kinks but so far it seems to be working okay.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

Today's offering:

View attachment 1806

Lovely photo (and terrific avatar).

Where is the awards tab located, as I can't seem to be able to see it?

Top Bottom
1 2