Reddit API fiasco

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
Hahahaha. I did not see that. It would really seem that Reddit broke Reddit.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
According to Reddit it looks like I'm solely responsible, sorry about that.

youbrokeit2.png
They presumably took everything down so that nobody could see how much had gone dark - those tools are now broken. Presumably they are also canning all the rebel moderators and replacing them with some AI mod nonsense, and then will bring all those subreddits back up. </conspiracy theory>

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
They presumably took everything down so that nobody could see how much had gone dark - those tools are now broken. Presumably they are also canning all the rebel moderators and replacing them with some AI mod nonsense, and then will bring all those subreddits back up. </conspiracy theory>
I have to say that AI can't be any worse than some of the mods over there, it's a total free for all and they seem to ban people for almost no reason at all a lot of the time. Never me personally but I've seen it happen to a lot of decent people, much like MR.

I think it's because any yahoo cook can start a sub and if it takes off, said yahoo is now in a position of power and you get a bunch of Eric Cartman's running around ankle capping people with their newly anointed nightsticks.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I may be an outlier but as one who uses Reddit all the time I don't see how this impacts me personally as I only ever use the native app or in-browser on my computers. Is there anything else I'm missing here or is it strictly based on third party apps?

I only use the browser version, but r/Milwaukee Tool, which had Milwaukee Tool employees officially participate, has gone dark because of this. :mad:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I only use the browser version, but r/Milwaukee Tool, which had Milwaukee Tool employees officially participate, has gone dark because of this. :mad:
Yeah, more frustrating than anything. Hoping all returns back to normal tomorrow after the 48 hours expires.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Very few of my favorite subs have come back online, the ones that have are left with nothing but whiners and it's just unpleasant now, this boycott appears to be successful for the user base. If it keeps up I'll just dump them like I did with Twitter but it will be a sad end to a platform I've enjoyed for a lot of years.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Very few of my favorite subs have come back online, the ones that have are left with nothing but whiners and it's just unpleasant now, this boycott appears to be successful for the user base. If it keeps up I'll just dump them like I did with Twitter but it will be a sad end to a platform I've enjoyed for a lot of years.
The Mac, macOS, and Mac Gaming subreddits are all back up, which are the only ones I care about. I don't post, just look for topics that may have slipped under the radar of the mainstream Apple sites. (I'd never cheat on TechBoards like that, perish the thought.)

My nephew is upset that "Squared Circle", the primary professional wrestling subreddit has decided to go dark permanently. I liked wrastlin' when I was a kid, so we watch it together. I tell him to just enjoy the shows and not be concerned with what people on the internet think. If y'all think MacRumors is bad, you should see pro wrestling fans. The industry has cleaned itself up, the performers today are all nerds with muscles, it's the fans that are the bad part. We'd rather deal with the "you know it's fake?" trope from obnoxious non-fans, than deal with the actual fans.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
some of my analog photography subs are still missing. they were full of good info.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
The Mac, macOS, and Mac Gaming subreddits are all back up, which are the only ones I care about. I don't post, just look for topics that may have slipped under the radar of the mainstream Apple sites. (I'd never cheat on TechBoards like that, perish the thought.)

My nephew is upset that "Squared Circle", the primary professional wrestling subreddit has decided to go dark permanently. I liked wrastlin' when I was a kid, so we watch it together. I tell him to just enjoy the shows and not be concerned with what people on the internet think. If y'all think MacRumors is bad, you should see pro wrestling fans. The industry has cleaned itself up, the performers today are all nerds with muscles, it's the fans that are the bad part. We'd rather deal with the "you know it's fake?" trope from obnoxious non-fans, than deal with the actual fans.
r/apple is still missing as well. It's hard to say what will return and when, could also be an opportunity for others to start new subs of their own though.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Back after a threat to replace the moderators.

My take on this is if it's the actual official organization, they should have a right to abandon or close their own account. Elon Musk threatened to put someone else in charge of NPR for example when they stopped posting, but then another entity would be posting as the actual company and that's not right on any level.

However, if it's just a user based sub with random people as moderators then I can see why Reddit wouldn't allow them to take it hostage like that.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Both interviews are all kinds of terrible, but seriously looking at Twitter tanking in valuations and branding and saying “I want that please?” The Reddit CEO is all kinds of Silicon Valley stupid.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Both interviews are all kinds of terrible, but seriously looking at Twitter tanking in valuations and branding and saying “I want that please?” The Reddit CEO is all kinds of Silicon Valley stupid.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a minute, the CEO has a valid point IMO. Yes, the developer of the third party app found a way in and provided a service that the moderation staff and users enjoy, but it's all piggy backed on Reddit as a core and meanwhile the developer is reaping 100% of the benefits, at least that's how I'm reading it (feel free to correct me if I'm missing something though). Why shouldn't Reddit want their cut from this?

On a much smaller level I look at it like Tapatalk for forums, they offer alerts and an all in one solution for several forums but they run ads on their service, taking 100% of that revenue, even from those of us who don't advertise. IMO this isn't right on any level.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a minute, the CEO has a valid point IMO. Yes, the developer of the third party app found a way in and provided a service that the moderation staff and users enjoy, but it's all piggy backed on Reddit as a core and meanwhile the developer is reaping 100% of the benefits, at least that's how I'm reading it (feel free to correct me if I'm missing something though). Why shouldn't Reddit want their cut from this?

On a much smaller level I look at it like Tapatalk for forums, they offer alerts and an all in one solution for several forums but they run ads on their service, taking 100% of that revenue, even from those of us who don't advertise. IMO this isn't right on any level.
I’m not on Reddit but I don’t get the sense that people would mind Reddit wanting a cut. Rather it’s that they priced it explicitly to kill any 3rd party apps, again like Twitter kinda ruining the point of having an API, and then lied about it. There are other points people have brought up like what does Reddit pay for/own wrt content and moderation, but it’s disingenuous for him to argue that he’s looking for “fairness”. His platform he can do what he likes, but equally people can tell him to fuck off and stop using it. Also the fact that Twitter under Musk is his lodestar is just something else…

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Things have pretty much returned to normal, one of my favorite subreddits was one of the last holdouts but they're now back with this message:

Blackout failed, subreddit is back open. Use this post to complain

Admins sent us a message forcing us to reopen, so here we are. We thought about following r/pics and doing something like requiring John Oliver pics, but decided it wasn't worth the effort.

If the blackout had worked I think it would have been worth it, but unfortunately it didn't so we're back with nothing to show for it.

Top Bottom
1 2