Reddit API fiasco

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
The iPhone subreddit has opened back up, but the members have voted to do a dashing change to "celebrate the charm of Tim Cook". So, head on over to commemorate the life and times of Apple's glorious benevolent ruler, Timothy Donald Cook!

TimCookRuler.jpg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
The iPhone subreddit has opened back up, but the members have voted to do a dashing change to "celebrate the charm of Tim Cook". So, head on over to commemorate the life and times of Apple's glorious benevolent ruler, Timothy Donald Cook!

View attachment 24467
They're doing something similar on a lot of subs right now, some are also going NSFW (even though they are) because it prevents ads from showing up on them. Fun to see all the creative ideas people have.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm

for those of you not on MR, here is the original article

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score

Just thieves trying to cash in and make themselves look better since they already tried to ransom it for money. A common tactic for those in Reddit’s position will be to then disingenuously connect this with ongoing protests in order to squash remaining dissent.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

So blackmail?

The owner of Apollo actually did make millions from Reddit without paying them a dime. I get the ask from Reddit of $20 million is over the top but these guys got a free ride for a really long time and will never have to work again if they don't want to. In some ways it feels like Republicans protecting the filthy rich who made their money off the backs of the working class.

Regardless of this whole thing I've understood the cause, even though I may not fully agree, and just rode it out but I'm not going to feel pity for the developers either. The free ride is over, let's get back to it and find other ways to move forward.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
i’m neither for nor against the hack and threat. just passing along info. 🙂

okay, i am actually against hacking and blackmail. but still just passing info here not making a political or otherwise statement.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
So blackmail?

The owner of Apollo actually did make millions from Reddit without paying them a dime. I get the ask from Reddit of $20 million is over the top but these guys got a free ride for a really long time and will never have to work again if they don't want to. In some ways it feels like Republicans protecting the filthy rich who made their money off the backs of the working class.

Regardless of this whole thing I've understood the cause, even though I may not fully agree, and just rode it out but I'm not going to feel pity for the developers either. The free ride is over, let's get back to it and find other ways to move forward.
From the story this their third attempt at blackmail - the first two times they just asked for cash and occurred before the protests. They are just trying to take advantage and hitch their blackmail to something more legitimate.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
So blackmail?

The owner of Apollo actually did make millions from Reddit without paying them a dime.

$500,000 per year income, minus 30% to apple, so $350k per year? Assuming it’s been the same since it came out in 2017, I guess that technically is “millions,” barely. Don’t think Christian is exactly set for life, though.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
$500,000 per year income, minus 30% to apple, so $350k per year? Assuming it’s been the same since it came out in 2017, I guess that technically is “millions,” barely. Don’t think Christian is exactly set for life, though.
I’ll grant you those numbers for the sake of argument (without a source). Still, not bad for paying zero dollars for access all that time. Sorry but no way I’m feeling bad for this guy.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ll grant you those numbers for the sake of argument (without a source). Still, not bad for paying zero dollars for access all that time. Sorry but no way I’m feeling bad for this guy.
The article you cited says 50k subs at $10/year.

Christian isn’t asking anybody to feel bad for him, btw. He’s said repeatedly that he is more than happy to pay for api access. But they wouldn’t even give him time to implement it. And the price structure would make it impossible anyway. He released the complete set of communications between him and Reddit today. Reddit really comes off bad here.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
The article you cited says 50k subs at $10/year.

Also, from this same article:
Apollo's Selig did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment regarding the "millions" Huffman claims he has made. But when reached The Verge reached out to him for comment, he did not deny the claim.
It sounds like maybe we're not getting the full picture but this is the claim.

Christian isn’t asking anybody to feel bad for him, btw. He’s said repeatedly that he is more than happy to pay for api access. But they wouldn’t even give him time to implement it. And the price structure would make it impossible anyway. He released the complete set of communications between him and Reddit today. Reddit really comes off bad here.
The users of Reddit are though, and by holding subs hostage at the expense of millions of users, many of which have never even heard of these apps until now. This CEO of Reddit comes off as a total asshole IMO but I don't think it's worthy of all the comotion it's caused. I get how some users can be frustrated, as was the case with Twitter so I just walked from the platform, these users can do the same if they're that passionate about it.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The users of Reddit are though, and by holding subs hostage at the expense of millions of users, many of which have never even heard of these apps until now. This CEO of Reddit comes off as a total asshole IMO but I don't think it's worthy of all the comotion it's caused. I get how some users can be frustrated, as was the case with Twitter so I just walked from the platform, these users can do the same if they're that passionate about it.
THIS! ⬆️

They’re doing it for the money and taking advantage of all the confusion. They only ones they’re threatening to hurt are the users, who are already hurting.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Taking the politics out of it, I have been an active member of reddit for 9 years, not just as a consumer of feeds, but also an active participant with a ton of karma/posts and all that with good standing.

Until this happened I had never even heard of this app, I did empathize after reading about it but had a hard time supporting all of my favorite subs going black as a result and from what I can see so did many other users as well.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Taking the politics out of it
I appreciate it. I hope to avoid another Twitter/Musk situation, where I'm policing a thread that I don't want to police, and the posters in that thread don't want me to be policing.

I have been an active member of reddit for 9 years, not just as a consumer of feeds, but also an active participant with a ton of karma/posts and all that with good standing.
I have been an inactive member of Reddit for unknown years, just a random dude who visits a handful of subs, a nonexistent participant with no posts or karma (whatever that is) and have no standing of note.

Until this happened I had never even heard of this app
I had no idea that you could access Reddit from a third-party app. In fact, I assumed it was entirely browser dependent.

I did empathize after reading about it but had a hard time supporting all of my favorite subs going black as a result and from what I can see so did many other users as well.
Casual visitors, like myself, don't give too craps about Reddit API access. Many users don't even know what an API is. The blackout protest was a failure, that may sound harsh, but it's also the truth. It's an example of "solidarity", where the herd just went along with the loudest voices. Now, we'll get back to normalcy, more or less. It did give some moderators an excuse to close down their subs, which had gotten pretty nasty, from the small number I visit. If I had to be a moderator over at MacRumors, I'd commit hari-kiri. One of the subreddits was like that place, and so this was an excellent excuse to shut it down.

I hope that, in the future, online communities choose their battles with more wisdom. This will embolden platforms in the future, they'll point to this and see it as ineffectual grandstanding (not entirely without truth), and push to take away liberties that actually matter to the general populace. These battles should be selective. Otherwise, the public will get protest fatigue.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

Reddit CEO says the mods leading a punishing blackout are too powerful and he will change the site's rules to weaken them​

• Reddit CEO Steve Huffman says the site's mods are too powerful.
  • He said he planned to change the rules so users could vote them out of subbreddits.
  • He said Reddit's current system was "not democratic" and compared it to a "landed gentry."
I get this will not be popular here but I am 100% on board with this change and so will many other users. As it stands there are mods who are total pricks to everyone, not just as moderators but in the posts as well and you have no recourse. Hell, even at MR you can write to someone and make your case (though you'll likely win), Reddit has never had any oversight and it's been a free for all for heavy handed militant moderators, it's a well known issue.

In the end this whole situation is going to effect changes on the site, likely not all ones we'll agree with but this has needed to happen for a long time IMO.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I question the judgement of anyone who spent $5000 on Reddit for "collectable avatars", especially a moderator. :ROFLMAO:

o6s883lj4c7b1.png

Top Bottom
1 2