Russia-Ukraine

There has always been a few factors at play here, the biggest probably being socioeconomic pressure from the "capitalist" global community. A "communist" state has to tighten up because capitalists are constantly trying to break or undermine them, using in part the tools of the countries they already own. Communism may threaten their access to resources but it also threatens the viability of the labor architecture of capitalist systems: if a communist country is allowed to succeed on its own terms, the labor pool in the capitalist countries will start making outrageous demands that threaten the profitability of industry.
While not trying to derail things too much, do you have specific examples here? I never got the impression that Stalin was given the power to do the things he did, but rather he was able to elevate himself after Lenin’s death and proceeded to continue the conversion to communism, using force to both ensure compliance and to ultimately purge his political rivals. I thought that in practical terms, by the time the west had started to step up to the USSR, the USSR was well down the path of being autocratic.

In reality, I believe that the original goal of the Soviets was to transition to a confederation model where the power structure was strongest at the lower levels, because that really is the only practical way to implement sustainable collectivism. People who get their hands on power, however, seem to be reluctant to let go of any of it, and when your entire national experiment is under unending existential threat, the chance of restructuring your system fades rapidly. You need that despot to help defend you from foreign enemies.
This was my understanding as well, but clearly they got derailed on the way to the endgame. Note that I’m not trying to say I don’t think it can ever happen, but I’m more of the mind that I’m skeptical until someone can show a working strategy to implement it in such a way that avoids having a populist-turned-autocrat steal the reins from the people the state is meant to serve.

The system in the US is not hugely different from the old USSR in practical terms. We are forming a strong klepto-plutocracy, which ultimately adds up to the net equivalent. It is pretty hard to avoid being depressed by the serious flaws in human nature that lead us to form all these broken nations, but one can always hope that we might someday discover the path out before we go extinct.
Forming? I’d argue we have been a plutocracy for ages. Plantations by their very nature, and the 3/5ths compromise represent a plutocracy that existed at the nation’s founding, in my mind. We’ve since tried to apply fixes to the system, but time is a flat circle, and what is built can be torn down. That said, I don’t have much evidence of us being a kleptocracy historically, so I could certainly buy the argument that Reganism helped bring that aspect about.

By realistic estimates Russia has lost more troops in the last month than all US military casualties combined since Vietnam and we've been involved in a ton of military action. :oops:
I wouldn’t want to be in either the Russian or Ukranian shoes at the moment. Russia has basically showed their ass to the world. Ukraine has the tough decision here to leverage a possible advantage and try to turn it into a full rout at possibly great cost, or give Russia concessions. I’m not fond of the “give the mouse the cookie” approach though, so I’d be very tempted to tell Russia’s diplomats to eff off and go for the rout if things looked favorable.

Poor baby, not feeling loved! Someone get Vlad an FTD Pick-Me-Up Bouquet. Stat!

Last edited:
Joe the President says enough, already,

Joe the President says enough, already,

Perhaps “the west” needs to make it impossible for Russia to trade with their neighbors while Putin is in power. Make it clear relations will not be restored until he is gone. Attempt to get as much information as possible to the Russian people. Let them act if they want to remove him.

Anybody still want to tell us how “smart” Putin is now? Not hearing that much from Trump and friends anymore.

Poor baby, not feeling loved! Someone get Vlad an FTD Pick-Me-Up Bouquet. Stat!
Fuck, that was Trumpy nonsense.

I just think it’s comical they said they have greatly reduced Ukraine’s military capacity even though there has been no signs of that and as long as Russia hasn’t sealed all borders weapons will continue to pour in from the collective west which will also be the reality if they just decide to post up in the separatist regions.

I think it’s telling that even their stranglehold of the Russian media has somewhat gone off the rails with telling people that it sure seems like the Ukrainians don’t want them there or to be liberated from the Nazi drug addicts.

There was a huge protest march in Prague today. Russians there by the tens of thousands protesting against Putin's aggression in Ukraine. And expats always have a grapevine to back home that can help put the lie to whatever propaganda the Russian state outlet is still trying to float.

While not trying to derail things too much, do you have specific examples here?
It is more of a vague sense, I guess. When looking at the early history of the USSR, I appear to be mistaken about there being a genuine adversarial relationship between the "free" world and the Communists. It looks like the rise of the authoritarian state was more of the machinations of an internal conflict – which is exactly the sort of thing that could have happened (and may yet) in the US on the right. Top-heavy power structures are always at risk, as we see in Moscow today.

It is more of a vague sense, I guess. When looking at the early history of the USSR, I appear to be mistaken about there being a genuine adversarial relationship between the "free" world and the Communists. It looks like the rise of the authoritarian state was more of the machinations of an internal conflict – which is exactly the sort of thing that could have happened (and may yet) in the US on the right. Top-heavy power structures are always at risk, as we see in Moscow today.
The bolded bit is exactly what I was thinking. And the fact that numerous communist states came into being via populist revolutions with a figurehead or small group leading things makes it harder to blunt that particular risk.

Perhaps “the west” needs to make it impossible for Russia to trade with their neighbors while Putin is in power. Make it clear relations will not be restored until he is gone. Attempt to get as much information as possible to the Russian people. Let them act if they want to remove him.
I do suspect that NATO will attempt some long term containment strategy here. But I would not be surprised if China believes that they benefit from Russia and NATO going at it with each other in some new cold war, wasting money and resources. In that sense, it would be consistent with China’s current approach of maintaining economic ties with Russia. Prop up Russia economically to keep it in the game, but not to the point of risking getting drawn into Russia’s nonsense directly.

276269892_2817602541718333_7805107888094213430_n.jpg

Cmon, give me a big smile!

The Academy Awards will be presented tonight. I was thinking they should give Zelensky an honorary award for best actor in the demanding role of a head of state. I mean it's pretty outstanding to rise from stand-up comedy gigs to having become a truly inspiring commander in chief.

The Academy Awards will be presented tonight. I was thinking they should give Zelensky an honorary award for best actor in the demanding role of a head of state. I mean it's pretty outstanding to rise from stand-up comedy gigs to having become a truly inspiring commander in chief.
I'm hoping we see some sort of tribute and bet we hear his name a lot tonight.

You called it, at least an honorable mention and a moment of silence.

The irony of this...

General Staff: Russian troops in Belarus are exchanging fuel and food for alcohol​

FWIW there were reports of this from Belorussian locals prior to the invasion. Apparently the Russian army leadership would sell diesel from their vehicles to the locals in order to buy alcohol and would all be wasted. No wonder they were all running out of fuel on their way to Kiev. Evidently they also left endless amounts of garbage, including evidence of their drinking.

This seems par for the course for the Russian military in terms of diverting resources and corruption. I suppose it doesn’t help if you deceive all but the very top leadership into believing they’re just assembling for “military exercises” and not an actual war.

Hey, buddy, wanna buy a watch?

The FSB seized stole millions of [pick your currency] worth of watches from a boutique watch dealer in Moscow, in retaliation for sanctions imposed by Switzerland.

I swear, one has to be not-quite-right-in-the-head to spend us$10K for one of these gaudy diamond-encrusted pieces of ugly.

Last edited:
Back