Soft drink TAB gets canned

Edd

Itā€™s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
That shit was gross. Itā€™s right up there with Dr Pepper and Moxie as undrinkable to me, along with any diet soda.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
My wife says she tried it back in the day but she didnā€™t like the taste. The story mentions early versions using saccharine, and I know saccharine had its detractors.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
That shit was gross. Itā€™s right up there with Dr Pepper and Moxie as undrinkable to me, along with any diet soda.
OMG - I love Dr. Pepper! That is one of my favorites.
My wife says she tried it back in the day but she didnā€™t like the taste. The story mentions early versions using saccharine, and I know saccharine had its detractors.
I never actually cared for it, and was very happy when Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi came along.

The only one that was worse was Fresca.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Looks like this is my day for citing Bloom County...

bloom-coke-or-pepsi.jpg

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I like Coke. There used to be a drink called Cricket cola that was my favorite drink. They sold it at Potbelly sandwich shop and at a couple ā€œfancyā€ grocery stores. I guess it wasnā€™t super popular because it no longer is made. :-(

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't care for diet sodas or anything with artificial sweeteners added. I prefer the real thing or nothing at all. On the rare occasions I do drink a soda, it's usually Pepsi, but I'll also take Coke that is all that is offered.
And Iā€™m not fussy, but I only drink diet sodas. I figure I make up for it by eating healthy. Iā€™ll cut that extra hundred calories for a soda or just drink water.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
And Iā€™m not fussy, but I only drink diet sodas. I figure I make up for it by eating healthy. Iā€™ll cut that extra hundred calories for a soda or just drink water.

We specifically try to source diet sodas made with sucralose (aka, Splenda) vs. aspartame (aka NutraSweet).

I know neither are great, but in my head canon for artificial sweeteners is:

sucralose > aspartame > saccharin fan

Where possible, I've tried to move to Stevia, and/or Erythritol ...

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Funny you mentioned Stevia. My sister-in-lawā€™s been pushing that stuff for a long time and thanks to a slightly high glucose reading in my latest blood test, Iā€™m ready to go that route.

Iā€™ve been drinking Glaceau Vitamin Water, but...fructose. Iā€™m gonna try this stuff instead.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Funny you mentioned Stevia. My sister-in-lawā€™s been pushing that stuff for a long time and thanks to a slightly high glucose reading in my latest blood test, Iā€™m ready to go that route.

Iā€™ve been drinking Glaceau Vitamin Water, but...fructose. Iā€™m gonna try this stuff instead.

Get the Zero calorie Glaceau Vitamin Water, they use Stevia. We drink these pretty regularly (there's like 5 pr 6 six-packs here right now, BTGO at Pubs :) ) Acai and DragonFruit are very good.

I'd also highly recommend for water flavors, go with a pre-measured, I always under/over do it with the drops, all the True products are outstanding:

They're individually packaged single serve powders, 10 calories, use Stevia, all natural, the Strawberry Lemonade and Black Cherry and Watermelon Limeades are excellent.

I mix them in a plain La Croix sparkling water, really tasty - and they mix really nicely with vodka too :D

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I'd actually tried to avoid the Zero Vitamin Water version because I assumed it was made with one of the other artificial sweeteners that they are now telling us to avoid. Serves me right for assuming.

I'm actually trying one of those fruit infusion drinks now, Hint. But truthfully, there's more fruit on the bottle than in it. Honestly, if I drank it without knowing it's got flavoring in it, I'd assume it was just ordinary water. It's a nice idea, though.

Top Bottom
1 2